Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slappin' da Bass
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My service engine soon light just came on, so i took it down to autozone to get it checked out. Well their computer said EGR flow insufficient, but the EGR valve just got replaced about 5,000 miles ago. What could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
man i have been down this road before lol i know how u feel

there are likely two possiblities that are throwing out that code

A) How many miles do u have on ur car? if its anywhere close to say, 100 k then u need to clean out the egr pipes. There is one that comes from the exhaust to the egr inlet, and there is another that goes from the egr to the intake... the egr to intake is easy enough to clean just get a toothbrush and some car cleaner, the guys suggested to me gumout carb cleaner, its in a big aerosal can with a black lid

to clean the pipe from the exhaust to the egr u have to get creative...i actually just went out last night to find something and im going to try a chimney sweeper thing...its a brush on a long solid flexible handle thats extendable this way u can get the pipe clean all the way down to the exhaust...again all u have to do is spray the cleaner in and brush it out as best you can

B) the mustangs use a vacuum egr valve to pull the exhaust into the intake manifold, thus giving u better gas mileage. There should be a solonoid (sp) behind it. This could be bad to the point where its not creating a strong enough vacuum, thus causing a insufficient egr valve flow.

Chances are you didnt need to replace the egr valve, but the guys at autozone just try to sell you the most expensive part first then work down the list...give the cleaning a try...it will cost like 4 bucks for the cleaner and say ten for the brush unless u have something you can use...and if the light is still on try the solonoid (sp)

Hope this helps

·
Slappin' da Bass
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car only has 51K on it. But thanks alot for that info man. I'll definetly try that

·
Slappin' da Bass
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well after changing the egr valve again and cleaning out the lines, my light came back on. So I went to autozone and got an egr valve pressure sensor and I changed that out. After I reset my code, I have been driving around for about 300 miles and my light did not come back on. Such a relief LOL

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
the EGR i hope you know is not meant for better gas
its for unburned gases to be re-burnt control knocks

check your vacuum hose to the EGR or the solieniod itself

i HIGHLY doubt the egr tube is clogged. you would need a good amount of carbon build up to block that up and if thats blocked up then your cats would be clogged
which means your car would run

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
i'm a manager at autozone and im not gonna get into anything but what i do look at what could be the best thing to replace first, i actually get people to clean first then go the buying, not every autozone is like that.

my car through the same code either way and mine ended up being the egr vacumn solenoid.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
my car is throwing that code right now... :D so i deleted it :) gonna get a tuner in 2 weeks time

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
lol nothing like ignoring codes...dgt i didnt mean to offend my experience with autozone was they have tried to always sell me the most expensive thing but then again iv only bought parts at one store so i apologize and retract my statement and adjust it to the autozone close to my house

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
lol nothing like ignoring codes...dgt i didnt mean to offend my experience with autozone was they have tried to always sell me the most expensive thing but then again iv only bought parts at one store so i apologize and retract my statement and adjust it to the autozone close to my house
oh its true they always do... even Napa with all its old dudes working...
:) 'Hi im looking for oil'
"just grab the expensive **** on the top shelf"
:) *grabs oil*
"are you sure you want this conventional one?
:) 'yea that top shelf is full of expensive **** i don't need'
:eek: "you take that back!!"

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
presser sensors are notorious for going out on fords

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
is there any way to determine if its the egr solonoid or the egr pressure sensor without actually switching to new parts to see if the code goes away, aka i want to be able to find out wats wrong but not replace parts i dont have to

1 - 11 of 11 Posts