Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Winning!
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to the new edge mustang world.... I have an 04 with 2 1/2" exhaust but that's the only mod so far... I want to upgrade the throttle body & mast air , also delete the egr... I would appreciate some advice on size, brand etc... just trying to build a mild streetcar..... I've got 2 foxbodys that I drag race, so just trying to beef up a bit & maybe add a small shot of N2O ... thanks n advance

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My understanding is that a throttle body greater than 70mm doesn't do much. The results of a 75 mm and 70mm are almost exactly the same. The tests CliffyK did showed that it was the plenum that made the biggest difference. From other source I believe an Accufab tb/plenium will yield around 3 rwhp. BBK around 2 rwhp. Many of the others less. The C & L plenum, besides being ugly, tested as one of the worst. Go to the link and click on TB/Plenum. You might also want to browse around. There is a lot of good information on this sight.
PaladinMicro

Cliff Knight was an engineer with a Mustang so he did a lot of tests. One thing we completely agree on is that you should not use 5w20 oil in our cars. Click on tech info the misc to see why he believes it. I also wrote up a couple of reports on the issue and posted them on this forum. I bumped them up to the top so you could read them if you wish. They have gotten pretty old. I no longer run extra ZDDP in my oil. My motor has 210,000 miles and due to wear and tear the tolerances have gotten larger. I'm running full synthetic 0w40 Mobile 1 European blend. It has the 1000 ppm our motors were designed for.

I can't help you with the EGR delete. I still have mine.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I wouldnt delete the egr, you need a new tune, lose mpgs and gain nothing.

Dont worry about the throttle body, I have a 75mm because thats all I could find on ebay. I would recommend an ebay tb since Ive had good luck with mine, its kind of hard to screw up a throttle body... Anyway I would recommend adding a tb, gears, a plenum and at the least lower control arms and youll be good. No other mods will make a difference until you start tearing into the engine.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I agree. I put on upper control arms with spherical bushings hated the noise, vibration and harshness and whet back to stock. Lower control arms are OK. I put in a manual clutch adjuster and have had nothing but trouble since. I'm constantly adjusting the clutch. I have long-tube headers but working around them is a pain and the gains on a dyno were not much. there were other mods that gave me as much such as an electric water pump. I wouldn't do them again. But then again, all I wanted is a fast daily driver. I wasn't building a race car.

My favorite bolt on is a supercharger. I love mine.

·
_
3,787 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to the new edge mustang world.... I have an 04 with 2 1/2" exhaust but that's the only mod so far... I want to upgrade the throttle body & mast air , also delete the egr... I would appreciate some advice on size, brand etc... just trying to build a mild streetcar..... I've got 2 foxbodys that I drag race, so just trying to beef up a bit & maybe add a small shot of N2O ... thanks n advance
Welcome!

The 2 Valves don't respond to bolt ons that well. Unless you stumble upon a throttle body or plenum for cheap, I'd just go straight to that wet shot or FI. For parts, the best sources are Corral: https://forums.corral.net/forums/#parts-sale and Facebook groups.

A 100-120 wet shot is about the most you can do safely on these engines. I can shoot over some links from other members reaching these limits. With the wet shot you'll want a few things like the mass airflow, injectors, and a fuel pump just to give yourself breathing room (same goes for FI).

Personally I would recommend going FI with a V2 or V3, mild cams, gears, LCAs, FLSFCs, and some drivetrain mods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts