Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 88 LX as a partial project for cheap and have been fighting wiring issues for a while. First of all it is a carb'd 302. I finally want to properly fix the push button ignition that the previous owner cobbled together. It has been nothing but a PITA since day one. I have to put the key in the ignition, flip a toggle switch, and then push a button. Tonight I think it finally bit the dust. I was driving down the road and I heard a pop/sizzle, smelled melted wires, and the ignition died. I still had power to everything and it would crank but no start. I got behind the dash to see that most of the wires to the push button were just twisted together and not crimped properly.

TLDR:
Previously a 4 cyl. car. Previous owner cut the wiring harness all up and put a Carb'd 302 in it. Crappy push button ignition is fried. I am looking for the easiest way to rewire it so that I turn the key and push the button and it starts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,959 Posts
No easy way to go about telling you on a forum how to wire it. You need to rewire it. Doubtful anyone except maybepainless would have a readymade harness.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Late to the game but it shouldn't be too hard (if you haven't solved it already.)

Is it still running the 4cyl solenoid on the driver's side fender? If so, all you need to engage the starter is a trigger wire to that. Normally it's a part of the chassis harness, but with a switch all it has to be is taking from somewhere that's switched battery, run to a momentary switch, then run the output to that stud on the solenoid. Easy as can be.

...or to repair it like factory, just make sure the appropriate wire is going from the ignition connector, through the firewall, to the stud on the solenoid. See if they left anything intact. If they did, it makes your job easier. It's circuit #33 here:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-tech/58634d1231631903-1988-mustang-5-0-wiring-diagrams-ignitionswitchwiring.gif

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
I believe you run a wire from one side of the switch to a 12volt (hot only when the key is on)
source & the other wire to the starter trigger post @ the solenoid.
1st wire= you can buy one of those plastic wire splice connectors (like shown below) or something similar,and splice the wire into a "hot only when the key is on" 12volt wire under the dash.As an alternative,you can also remove a fuse (hot only when the key is on) insert the stripped end of the wire into one of the fuse terminal slots & hold it in place while you reinsert the fuse.
2nd wire= run the second wire from the other side of the switch to the starter trigger post on the starter relay/solenoid.Its the small post near the top of the solenoid,which normally has a red/blue wire attached.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts