Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well got everything set up and im almost done putting on the new steering shaft and its waaaay too long. is that normal or am I supposed to cut it shorter ive just had enough with all of this :mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well ive looked onfamling rivers site for about 30minutes now im thinking i just cut the shaft to the length I need. I dont see how else it would work wish me luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
so what do i do then i dont get it i thought this was supposed to just all bolt together and match up? the shaft kit i have is just 2 u joints and a shaft to connect them with a smaller shaft with a hole in it for the bolt that was removed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
depends on if you have a splined or DD steering shaft.

splined have to be pre-measured and ordered to fit (give or take an inch), DD style are cut to length

mine had to be cut to length

they have an ez-fit model that's collapsible, but clearly not the model you have if you're thinking of cutting it EZ Fit Steering Shaft

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine isnt the collapseable no springs just a steel shaft im thinking im supposed to cut it to length though theres no way i can get it to fit. i shouldve just gone to a shop and paid but i like to do it myself lol got the car aligned and everything and i cant get the steering shaft on again. So if it looks like the dd shaft i can cut it to length correct?

·
Registered
334 Posts
yes, if it doesn't have splines and it doesn't collapse, then it should be cut to length

don't forget to drill the dimple for the set screw after you trim it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS i figured that was the case but i like to double check. What is the best tool to cut this thing with ive got a sawz all with a few metal cutting blades what did you use?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man for the info i will get to it tomorrow hopefully ill be driving this car again tomorrow evening how far did you have the first u joint seated on the rack all the way or a gap at the bottom. When im done im taking a few pics theres no pics of this set-up anywhere for reference

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its was raining like crazy today so i couldnt. but saturday im doing a eibachpro kit suspension so ill make time for the steering shaft that day too should be fun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wish i had a video when i saw it didnt fit i thought it was supposed to join together and be good its all good ill keep everyone posted. did you guys just use regular red lock tite or should i get something different

1 - 14 of 14 Posts