Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So she called me yesterday cause her car isn't starting. She said she was driving down the road, started smoking from the engine bay, she pulled over and turned the car off. Leaking lots of coolant from under then engine. I'm thinking water pump or a hose. But after she checked it out, her car won't start. The temp guage is reading normal temps, she is putting more water/coolant in there..and it just won't turn over. Think the water pump is fried and not letting the pully turn?

She does have a few mods, exhaust..she's gotta have a tune on it (she bought the car this way and not that i think this is causing her issues, but i thought i would throw it out there).

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Just cause that gauge didn't show a high temp, don't rule out an over heat. The oem gauges are poor at best and intermittant on occasion.

When she replaced the coolant did it continue to fall to the ground? If not then the overflow was coming from the puke tank which indicates a true overheat.

If it did, where did it come from. Coming from the block, or part of the external cooling system? Like radiator.

If it's coming from the block area, does she know enough to tell you if it's seeping from uder the head or that theres a crack?

These are hard items to diagnose via the interweb.. Probably take 3 minutes standing in front of it..

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had a chance to take a look at it. She said it was coming from the block area for sure. She's coming over tonight (a very nice!) so i will head back to check it out. I figured the oem guages sucked and that if it's not the water pump, it's the safety to not let the engine burn up.

·
MM's Resident Ginger
2,991 Posts
hha the thread always goes to that

this must be why she's your "chicky POO friend"

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
so that must be you and her in your avatar

:lmao nice...on a serious note I've had my old 90 LX 351w overheat and it was the thermostat..simple fix...then it did it again and it was the water pump, completly toasted (but it still started). In your case her car isn't starting at all????? This tells me it is more serious and internal but i'm not there so bring it to a shop or call someone local who is engine sabby.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree that it is hard to diagnose over the internet, but it should probably be taken to a shop. If the leak is coming from the block, that could be really bad news. If she had an overheat meltdown, in particular with the aluminum block and heads, it could be REALLY bad. I'm not saying this to be an ass or try to scare you, I am saying this as a warning because you should take it very seriously and don't want to drive it again until you are certain of what is wrong. Its bad for all motors, but with aluminum more so than iron heads/blocks, you can do more damage.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some pics of what's going on

This pic is a verticle pic. Alternator is at the top, serpentine belt is around the pic.

I haven't had a look at the vehicle myself. Not sure what to surmise from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I can't really see anything from those pics. But a leak that bad would be real easy to find. It'd be impossible for a siezed water pump to cause it to not crank, it'd just slip the belt. The issue is somewhere else.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
must have had on a black wig in the video... she does like to dress up... j/k man.

seriously... if the battery is strong and it doesn't crank over.. I might be very bad

1 - 20 of 30 Posts