Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's the deal. Spent the day puttin' on a new set of shocks, and get in to test 'em out. The car starts for about half a second, and dies out. From then, it won't start. The starter's working just fine as far as I can tell, and the engine's turning over. The voltage on the battery is also fine. Just to make sure, I hooked it up to a friend's car w/ cables and got the same response. I also checked all the fuses, most importantly the fuel pump fuse. The car has about 92k miles on it, and I know the fuel filter is pretty old; anyone have any other ideas before I spend the money on a new pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
if you turn the key to the on position do you hear the pump kick on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's at least getting voltage.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ya but you should be able to hear it turn on. if you hear it then its fine. make sure your stereo radar whatever everything is off. then turn the key on and you should hear it humm if you hear it its good

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Change the dang filter first, couple minutes and a couple bucks. Then check back if it doesn't start. Thats probably the most neglected part on peoples cars and if it is clogged its not gonna run right and maybe not start.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could replace whatever fuse you want, but vouching for the fuel filter idea first.

If it's cold though your car might just not want to start. I'd figure if your pump was on its way out it might have given you some kind of signs before, but then again, a good sign could be not wanting to start.

In my old car I had to hold the gas pedal down and then crank it to start. If everything "sounds" okay it might just be a cold car being stubborn. You could give that a try, but don't do it too much too soon. Should work after the first few seconds. I actually took the old car (2000 Cougar, still have it, I like it too much since it's a Roush edition) to the Mercury dealer and they told me some banana information like winter fuel and some other backwards logic that only in a land that 2+2=5 would it make sense. Basically, all they said was put the gas pedal to the floor and turn key. It works like a charm, give it a try maybe?

Replace your fuel filter, but honestly I don't think you are going to be that lucky. Can't hurt to do though, it's really cheap and really easy. I actually like replacing my fuel filter and do it more than I probably should. (Just like oil changes... now only if I filled up even close to as much as I should... :()

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahhhhh, had to pull out the fiberglass carpeting to get to the rear shock mounts and I was getting pissed doing it; I bet I idiot-bumped the switch. I'll repost as soon as I get a chance to check it out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
did your interia switch get kick out, push the red button down in the truck.on the left side .

+1

This was the first thing that came to mind...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alright the problem has been solved. The inertia switch wasn't reset, but the engine fired briefly when the switch was disconnected, rather than not at all. So I pulled off the switch and as it turns out, one of the three connection nodes on the bottom was solid black. A little steel wool and bam, she fired right up. Imagine that. It was definately a lucky find. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Alright the problem has been solved. The inertia switch wasn't reset, but the engine fired briefly when the switch was disconnected, rather than not at all. So I pulled off the switch and as it turns out, one of the three connection nodes on the bottom was solid black. A little steel wool and bam, she fired right up. Imagine that. It was definately a lucky find. Thanks for the help!
who told you that? :eek: me!:eek:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts