Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so i was installing my new rotors cuz im so excited to get them on and i broke a bold off, i broke off the head. i no i have to take it to ford tomarow to get it out and get new bolt but i dont know if its safe to drive, its one of the 2 bolts that holds my caliper to the caliper bracket. its the top one, and now its only held on my one and its a little loose with the wheel back on, please help is it save to drive to the dealer or wil i have to get it towed!!!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you MUST drive it to the dealership I suggest you make SURE that caliper will NOT fall off or interfere with any moving parts (steering, wheel, etc)............maybe some big ass zip ties or something. Get a clamp of some sort (vise grips) and clamp off the brake line so no fluid is delivered to the caliper (it will not operate).........drive VERY carefully, and slow. I DO NOT SUGGEST DRIVING IT.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
i definately wouldn't drive it like that. Drill it and use a easy out to get it out and buy a new bolt

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you MUST drive it to the dealership I suggest you make SURE that caliper will NOT fall off or interfere with any moving parts (steering, wheel, etc)............maybe some big ass zip ties or something. Get a clamp of some sort (vise grips) and clamp off the brake line so no fluid is delivered to the caliper (it will not operate).........drive VERY carefully, and slow. I DO NOT SUGGEST DRIVING IT.
isent it bad if i clamp it and the dealership is less than 5 mils away

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or in the 5th and 6th picture is what its stuck in, could i just bring that to ford and have them drillout from there or just get me a new one of what ever it is

·
Registered
443 Posts
you mite have to spray the bolt with some type of penetrating catalyst like PB blaster first otherwise the easy out mite break.. just make sure to clean everything off real afterwards

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
you could get a new caliper pin and bolt if you dont want to drill it out. not really worth taking the whole car to the dealership over

·
Registered
443 Posts
is the bolt broken off in the caliper? just take the whole caliper to the dealer if you dont feel comfortable drilling out the bolt yourself... but im sure they will give you some outrageous price

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
just get a new pin it will be cheaper than the labor

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just get a new pin it will be cheaper than the labor
it broke off in the pin, at least thats what i think it is, its all lubed up and in pick 6, if thats all it is i already put the pin and broken bolt in a bag, and if i just have to bring that to the dealer and just leave my car that would be a huge problem gone

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
just bring it down to them and try and buy a new pin and bolt. if you cant buy it then have them remove the bolt

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
Yeah, no one drive it like that. No zip tie (will melt under heat from brakes), and nothing but a bolt (even if a temporary replacement that fits in form/function) in its place until you get the correct bolt. Have someone run you to the dealership, Ace Hardware, or something. Good luck, bud. I'm amazed I haven't done this with how many times I've pulled them (new rotors, new brakes, axle bearings, etc.).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you drove it like that, when you stop the caliper can rotate out and jam in the wheel, locking the wheel up.

But, like others said, no reason at all to go to the dealer. Just go to the dealer (or any autoparts store even) and order a new caliper pin and bolt. Problem solved.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I agre with everyone. Dont take it to the dealer for this. They will charge you an hour labor ( if you just ook the caliper in, maybe 2 if you took the car ) just to dril it out. If you take it there it will cost you over $100, or you can go get an EZout kit and a new bolt for $30.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts