Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have MM FLSFC's that I need installed. I also have a buddy that works at a Ford dealership. Well, he's always willing to give a helping hand after hours and said he would install/weld in the subframes for me.

The only issue is: they have no drive-on lifts... they only have lifts that have the four points that lift the car by the frame rails. (2 on each side)
Of course the car will sag using this method and I don't want to weld in connectors while having the car permanently in a sagging position.

I have thought about jacking the car up, and then lowering it onto blocks of some sort, so that way the suspension is loaded by all four wheels and there may be a little room to get under there on our backs. Another issue with that is my car is lowered about 2 inches, and I don't know how much room is needed when installing these things.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Please all comments are welcome. He will more than likely do it for free, or just for lunch or something. So, I am definitely going to have him do it.

EDIT: Also, I read in the install instructions there is a way to do it without a drive on lift. I believe it said to load the rear end and the front K member with jack stands. But, would this method insure no frame sagging?

·
Registered
741 Posts
You might want to check a muffer shop. I had mine welded in for like $40. Make sure before they do any welding to un-hook your battery. After I had mine welded in. Didn't un-hook the battery. My PATS went out like a couple weeks. So almost $250 later I got it fixed.

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to check a muffer shop. I had mine welded in for like $40. Make sure before they do any welding to un-hook your battery. After I had mine welded in. Didn't un-hook the battery. My PATS went out like a couple weeks. So almost $250 later I got it fixed.
Okay thanks about the battery, I'll definitely have that unhooked wherever the install is.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Okay thanks about the battery, I'll definitely have that unhooked wherever the install is.
You can do them with jack stands if you plan on doing then your self. Just make sure the front jack stands are under the control arms and the rear are under the axle

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do them with jack stands if you plan on doing then your self. Just make sure the front jack stands are under the control arms and the rear are under the axle

So having just the 2 jack stands in the front under the 2 front control arms is safe enough? Maybe I should put a third one under the K member? I'm not questioning your idea I've just never done it and want to make sure I'm doing everything as right as possible. I do know the front control arms flex and I just wasn't sure if they were able to be supported by jack stands only, holding the whole front of the car. Thanks for the comment.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Yes, its just like having it on 4 wheels as long as the car is level. Do bit put inner under the k member. That will take away from the effect of having it in 4 wheels

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, its just like having it on 4 wheels as long as the car is level. Do bit put inner under the k member. That will take away from the effect of having it in 4 wheels

Okay thanks a lot F8L, that clears some stuff up.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I've installed many subframe connectors over the years and have done only a few on a drive on. I've done them on two post lifts, jack stands..... blah blah blah. There is no signifigant sag or tweak to the body using any of these methods appropriately.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I jacked mine up, set the tires on cinder blocks, then welded em in.

Like F8TL said will be just the same as well

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
^When you did them on the two post were the front & rear wheels not supporting the full weight of the car?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
^When you did them on the two post were the front & rear wheels not supporting the full weight of the car?

If this question is directed to me:

That's impossible on a two post lift. Two post lifts have one post on each side of the car with two arms on each post. I position the lift arms as close to the rear as possible and as close to the front as possible then weld in the subs.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I jacked mine up, set the tires on cinder blocks, then welded em in.

Like F8TL said will be just the same as well
for mine we lifted the car took the seat brackets bolted them in then held the connectors where there suppose to go marked the connectors where the brackets are removed them welded the brackets to the connectors bolted them back to the car set the car on cinder blocks with lift slightly under car not touching just in case, welded them in sections then relifted the car to finish up welds, there are different ways of installing them thats how we did mine. Just go slow to make sure not to over heat the floor pans and burn your carpet

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've installed many subframe connectors over the years and have done only a few on a drive on. I've done them on two post lifts, jack stands..... blah blah blah. There is no signifigant sag or tweak to the body using any of these methods appropriately.
Yeah it'll work out, I'll probably go with what F8L said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts