Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a serious problem..the thumb knob on my key switch has worn out and it spins freely around the lock..its been giving me problems for a while and now its totally gone..I cant start my car. I cant find anything on changing this thing..am I going to have to go to the dealer and get a whole new lock and everything? Its a sn95..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the problem is in the lock cylinder that is easily replaced. First put the key in the lock cylinder and turn it to the run position. Then using a small punch or similar tool there is a hole in the lower plastic piece through which you can push up on a spring loaded retaining pin to release the lock cylinder and pull it out. A new lock cylinder and key may fix it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The other possible problem is that the lock cylinder is connected to the ignition switch by some plastic sliders inside the steering column. If those break the key will turn but not move the ignition switch. In that case you might want to just take it to the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.