Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to chase down a voltage drain on fuse 8, which is interior lights, etc. In the meantime, I'm also ripping out an old clifford alarm that's just sort of hanging there. It seems that somebody has it wired inline with a pink/white wire that leads up the steering column. I would guess that's something for the ignition switch. I'm looking up diagrams on veryuseful.com, and it's mostly useful. I just want to know if I can clip the alarm wires out and re-connect the pink/white with each other.

There also seem to be a hell of a lot of audio wires, and what seems to be maybe a power wire or something that leads to the back...maybe for an amp? I don't know. There are also what look like some relays that are bundled up. I'm guessing those also came with the alarm and can be tossed. Having a tough time figuring out the OEM from the aftermarket, I don't really deal with the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Pink and white i think is the starter wire. Im not sure if u unplug the brain it might not make contact any more. Just the bud connects and put it back together. Also the drain might be coming from the alarm. I worked for circuit city in car audio. The code alarms use to have power drain issues.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Check to make sure your sun visor ligts are not staying on. Even if there closed, over time they maybe still on

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goddamnit, I didn't even know I had lighted vanity mirrors.

Sure enough, the passenger side mirror stays on when the flap is closed. I'm surprised that tiny little bulb is enough to drain the battery. Only 1 of the bulbs even works, the other one is burned out.

I pulled the fuse, and the drain dropped from .20 amps to .02 amps, something like that. According to a video I watched, it shouldn't be above 50milliamps, so there may still be a drain somewhere.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
goddamnit, I didn't even know I had lighted vanity mirrors.

Sure enough, the passenger side mirror stays on when the flap is closed. I'm surprised that tiny little bulb is enough to drain the battery. Only 1 of the bulbs even works, the other one is burned out.

I pulled the fuse, and the drain dropped from .20 amps to .02 amps, something like that. According to a video I watched, it shouldn't be above 50milliamps, so there may still be a drain somewhere.
If you want to keep the fuse in. Just unbolt the visor, and theres a plug up there that you can disconnect, and then youll have no more power going to the visor.....then bolt the visor back up

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
If you want to keep the fuse in. Just unbolt the visor, and theres a plug up there that you can disconnect, and then youll have no more power going to the visor.....then bolt the visor back up
Exactly what I did, or you could just take the bulbs out.

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I'll try that out, thanks!

While I was digging around the footwell, I noticed what looks like a light bulb socket right underneath the knee pad. I'm guessing there should be a bulb in there?

I had to hack the hack wiring job, but everything seems to work OK. When I have some free time (hahahahahahahahah) I'm going to have to do some serious re-wiring on that thing. We'll see if it burns to the ground in the next 24 hours.

I've looked in the past but came up empty...does anybody making OEM colored wiring? The two wires I was having trouble with are pink/gray and pink/orange (I think). Most wiring companies seem to sell only solid colors, but I'd love to have the OEM color scheme for future use.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
when i put in my new dash, i found parts of an old alarm system ( besides the one i already have) the **** still had wires hooked up, some wires went to a relay, and others didnt go any where, they were just taped up in a ball. although i was having no issue from it, i didnt like it so i spent about 2 hours following and cutting wires out ( although i didnt know what i was doing) after i cut a few wires id try and start the car just to make sure i didnt fu*k some thing up. it started up every time so i got lucky. in the end i removed a hand full of wires and im glad i did it.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
They really did a number on that harness. lol

Is it a white/pink wire, or pink/white wire? The white/pink wire runs to the neutral safety switch i believe. If its a pink/white wire it should run to the brake light on the dash.

Nobody makes a factory exact reproduction harness that im aware of. It would no doubt be ridiculously expensive if they did. Best bet for factory colored wiring is to find a parts yard. Dont limit yourself to just mustangs if all youre after is some wiring. If youre looking to replace the entire harness, save yourself the time and frustration and look for the same year and bodstyle as yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts