Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install my H&R lowering springs, I am trying to install the ones in the rear and I undid the nut on the bolt on the lower control arm but it seems impossible to get the bolt out. I made very little progress and tried everything, including prying it from the back and hammering it from the front, but there is little room to swing and when I pry it pops off the head. Any suggestions? Is there like some sort of special amount im supposed to jack the LCA up, because no matter what there will be pressure on it whether it be from the spring or the jack so I feel like there is no winning. All instructions ive read just say take out the bolt and make it seem so easy. Please all help is much appreciated!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Did you put the jack on the actual control arm under the spring perch? If not do that and lower it a bit to let a bit of weight sit on it. Maybe some pb blaster and a few more wacks with a mallet will help. Once you get that bolt off it is basically a done deal and the control arm drops.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
you should not have messed with the control arm in the first place to do the spring install. disconnect the quad shocks and then the regular shocks and let the axle droop. jack one side up if needed to let the other droop. then the spring can come out (with some prying if needed) and the new shorter spring will slip in with ease.

i tried both ways my first time and have done it this way ever since. way easier...especially once your not messing with the stock springs anymore.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Yea he is probably right on that. I was doing a control arm install as well as a spring install at the time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
just did mine over the weekend,and yes remove the shock bolts its soo much easier.the hardest bolt to break loose doing it this way,will be the caliper bolts when ya do the fronts.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
leave the front caliper on and just undo the lower ball joint from the spindle and let the arm drop down.

The rear control arm bolt can be tricky, just gotta play with the jack. It helps if you can put the other side on a jack stand to keep it from moving around and give you a another point to rotate from/on

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah thats another way you could do it, for me it was just easier to unbolt the calipers and hang them out of the way,undo the top of the front strut and just lower it down, i was also replacing my front pads and rotors at the same time tho,so it was coming off regardless.
Just take your time,dont get frustrated and it will go pretty smoothly,just try to have fun!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had issue with the lca's bolts too. I changed the springs, shocks, lca's at once. But their called the 10.9 bolts (I believe) which hold the lca's in. PITA no seriously lol there are. I know all too well what your going through. I got mine on half in half out when it got stuck. I called over a buddy who then had to call over a buddy, tried grease, a wrench belt, jack. Nada.... alot of times the bolt just goes bad (meaning its corroded and rusted so bad) that when you turn to remove it, problems arise. I went to the FORD Dealership and got 2 new ones. Total $3 bucks. I ended up cutting the bolt. Your not the only one, it's sorta a common thing that can accure to ppl's stangs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
when i did my lcas I had to cut the bolts off because the bolts rust fast to the sleve inside of the bushings i wish i would have known to just cut them off when i started instead of spending all the time trying to get them out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used a sawzall with a diamond blade to cut my bolts when I put the MM lowers in. The old bolts had rusted solid to the bushing sleeve and no amount of hammering would budge them. Had to repeat the process with the front A-arms when I did the front too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts