Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
To me it sort of sounded like a pulley was seizing up and the belt was making a squealing noise when it was dragged over it. You could try putting some WD40 on the pulleys (1 at a time) to see if that stops it and, if a pulley is the problem, determine which pulley is the problem.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True... I was thinking maybe the tensioner pulley bearings may be going or the whole tensioner arm even but the guy at Advanced Auto said it sounds like the AC clutch... :-\

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I'd start with the pulleys. I think we've had other members here who have had problems with the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I pull the tensioner pulley up to remove the belt? I tried spraying each pulley but nothing made the noise disappear...

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Get a big socket that fits the bolt on it, a big ratchet, and pull the pull up and towards the driver side of the vehicle. The arms will pop back in place so don't let go, ease it back down once you slide the belt off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a similar sound when i hit the brakes today going around 70.. i think it's my front brakes , seeing as how i was told i needed to brake pads... at least i hope

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so heres the update. I have already tried replacing the idler pulley cuz it looked like it had wear on the pulley itself from where the belt could possibly be dragging across it. Well, that didnt work the noise was still there. So now im about to switch out the whole tensioner setup.. the arm and the pulley. However.. im not quite sure on how to do this since I cant even find it in the haynes manual. I see on the front of the arm setup there is what looks like a torx head.. which I do not have hah go figure.. but I was curious if I should try to change it from there? or is there a not/bolt on the back side that I could get locked onto without the torx setup? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so...I have installed both the Idler pulley and the Tensioner Arm with a new pulley and the noise was still there so I returned both of those parts. However, that eliminates them from the cause of the squeal...any other suggestions guys?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car isn't overheating at all so I don't think it's the water pump and if it was power steering wouldnt it squeal when turning the wheel?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if it wasnt a pulley at all.... Could it possibly be the EGR valve? Maybe the diaphram has collapsed on the inside causing it to make that type of a noise?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cam synchro huh? You think that would throw a check engine code for me to replace the camshaft position sensor? Or would it be a different code? Because coincidentally that camshaft position sensor code had popped up two or three days ago with the engine making that noise and I wen ahead and replaced the sensor and they deleted the code out of the memory but it keeps throwing the same code.. I didn't know if this was just coincidence that this was happening on top of the squeal or if it was related.. Cuz usually for me when it rains it freaking pours haha any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
928 Posts
mine just went it made a horrible noise a little here and there and got progressivley worse but never threw a code and didnt sound too much like yours does when i removed it you could tell that the bearings went it would barely spin freely

·
Registered
928 Posts
and I also yours doesnt do it at idle run it with the belt off give it a quick rev and see if it still does it

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright so heres the break down. Horrible squeal/screech at higher rev rpms anywhere between 2500-3000 and especially between first and second gear shift so im thinking its making this noise when under alot of torque. I have ELIMINATED all possibility of it being a bearing in a pulley by removing the belt and the noise is STILL there! Now I believe my only options left are the EGR valve diaphragm on the inside collapsing causing a vaccumm high pitch noise or from what I have been told the cam synchro. Coincidentally, my check engine light came on and threw the code for the camshaft position sensor so I had replaced that and the vode was wiped out of memory but it still insists on popping up.. dont know if this has something to do with it or not or if this is just a seperate problem all on its own. What can I do to pinpoint or eliminate one or the other or do you have any other suggestions as to what it could be in general? I have pretty much narrowed down the noise to being in the top center of the engine I believe. Could it be a cracked gasket causing vaccumm leak somewhere maybe? IDK...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts