Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the Skinny: I have a 91 vert with a newer 302, motor has about 60,000 on it. I want to build a quick stang, on a budget. I have the old motor out and on a stand ( I plan on building it next winter). This brings me to my questions, I have about $1500.00 to start with, where what should I buy to gain the most performance? I dont want to swap engines, as I just did that (so no 351w). I know a turbo system is about $1500 ish, which is a idea (thanks xarmy187). however, I would like to make somewhere in the 300s is this likely on this budget??? also I have the following already on the car:

BBK under drive pulleys
K&N filter (not cold air not a pop charger)
full Flowmaster 40's on shorty headers.

Plus a few suspension mods.

I know gears are needed, Since I have an Auto (sucks i know) I was thinking 410s what do you think? how much are they? or can I get them used? if so what cars had 410s stock that will fit??

Please note money will increase slowly, so if you have a larger budget in mind let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on using it as a street car, with maybe a strip visit or autocross (with the other engine). i would like to see 300s at the wheel.

thank you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
4.10's .. you can get them used, I guy around me was selling an entire disc brake rear end with 4.10's in it for $300. Brand new 4.10's cost between $150-$200.

Also, even though the turbo kit costs $1,500 .. after supporting fuel mods and a tune your looking at $2500 prob a little more.

I would personally start with 4.10's and set of twisted wedge 170 heads or afr 185 heads. You can find a decent used pair for ~$800

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get a trick flow top end kit. Supposedly gets you 360 HP so it should be close to 300rwhp. You can get a set of gears for like $150 new. I would go with 410s if it was me. If you don't have subframe connectors, i would def get some for that unibody of yours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so 410s for sure.

I was almost tempted to buy a 98 explorer moter for the heads and intake, and sell the rest of the motor. what do you think, I can get one for $350 with 90,000 miles. how much of a gain do you think I would get? would it be worth it?

I was looking at heads on summit, right now actually. This could be a good start for sure.

I have sub frame connectors, and and beefy anti sways. however I was thinking of a suspension upgrade, as I really like to enjoy the MTNS around me.

I would hate to pull the motor back out, but what do you guys think about cams? I know a good gain can be made, but is is worth it (right now)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Explorer setup will get the average person around 250 or so horse. Can be made to do 300 if you rev it high and buy good parts, but then you're gonna be over the 1500 dollar mark.

Used TF 170's and a Track intake, Stage 2 or anderson cam for those goals. Good power all around, but will run you a little more than 1500 for the aforementioned and supporting mods.

·
Registered
342 Posts
no, cam is not worth it right now. The stock cam is a very decent cam ask flattus lol.. Yes the gt40 (explorer) setup is good for only $350. You can see ~240 hp maybe a little more, that aod eats some power. The heads and intake are the biggest bottleneck on the motor. I would hold off on getting a cam until you are happy with your head/intake combo and decide if you want forced induction or not. Then get a cam that matches your setup and unlock the most potential. Just what I would do if I were in your shoes. But I would grab that motor, is it in good shape?

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you don't have rear control arms, that's always a good upgrade. Comp cams makes some good cams, custom and out the box. Get the cam last though. Gets heads and intake first. A lot of people seem to like those explorer motors but I wouldn't bother. Trickflow top end kit will satisfy your needs and leave room to grow, when your budget permits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jkyez. the motor is in good shape. I plan to run a cmopression test soon to see if I want it.

I will look into the the heads and intake. Also Ill look at rear control arms. Thanks for the help. let me know if you can think of any other ideas.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You may need to upgrade fuel pump, injectors, MAF sensor. You'll have to lookup info on that, I don't know what 19# injectors or stock pump is rated for off the top of my head. 75mm throttle body and maf meter. Have everything port matched. That should get you going.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
19lb injectors are good for around 270hp

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I would go ahead and pick up that explorer motor even if you don"t use it, there are a lot of areas that they are hard to come by and you will see the heads online for more than you can buy that whole motor for. I am sure you could get your money back for the heads and intakes, if not more and leave you with another block incase you ever need it. In fact you could maybe even sell the block to Snatchy, I think he is looking for a 5.0 block right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I thought about buying it this week, As I think Ill get that much for my college grad tomorrow. I Thank you all for the great info, I was not real sure which approch to take. I now have alot to think about (in a good way).

I will consider buying it using the heads/intake and selling the rest.

what do you guys think the rest of the motor is worth minus the heads/intake????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts