Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, UPS messed up the delivery of my SR lowering springs and AM refunded my order so now I got to thinking whether or not I should look at other springs.

I can get the SR's for 103.99, but the drop might (50/50) require CC plates, even though I'm very low mileage and the stock iso's aren't worn out.

But I can get Steeda Sport Springs for about $210 and I've read that they're high quality products. And with a 1.25 inch drop, I won't need CC plates.

The common denominator is that they're both standard rate. I've been set on that since I don't want to sacrifice performance, but will H&R SS's perform nearly as well even though they're progressives? If they do, I might just shell out the extra cash for them and the CC plates that they'll require.

HELP!

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
Can't say anything about the SRs or the steeda springs but I love my h&r ss springs :dunno What are you looking for performance wise?

·
Registered
655 Posts
The H&R's will offer a more comfortable ride, but they will "hurt" launch performance. Unless you go to the track often and your main goal is to have the best time possible, I don't think H&R's would be all that problematic in your situation. There are other suspension components, such as LCAs, that can potentially counteract the affect the lowering springs have on your launch.

Edit: Depending how low you want to go you might want to consider either the Eibach Pro-Kit or Eibach Sportlines. Eibach makes a quality product and they also makes CJ Pony Part's brand names springs which are the same springs as the Eibachs but for a reduced price.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I love my H&r springs. Gave the car a great stance. Car still rides pretty good.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't say anything about the SRs or the steeda springs but I love my h&r ss springs :dunno What are you looking for performance wise?
I'm not looking to get every hundredth of a second I can at the track because the only strip near me just got taken down. But I do like being confident in the corners and embarrassing the occasional ricer at a red light. I also don't want clearance problems, which is why I leaned away from the H&R's originally. Even w/o longtubes, would I scrape with H&R's?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I'm not looking to get every hundredth of a second I can at the track because the only strip near me just got taken down. But I do like being confident in the corners and embarrassing the occasional ricer at a red light. I also don't want clearance problems, which is why I leaned away from the H&R's originally. Even w/o longtubes, would I scrape with H&R's?
I used to scrape my catted midpipe with the h&rs if I wasnt careful. I have now rubbed my Lts 1 or 2 times but I rub my intercooler more than anything:facepalm:. If your careful and take speed bumps and bad bumps the right way you will be fine for the most part.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RIP Island :(
Yeah, wtf.

And I think I'd do SR's before CJ Pony's just because I'm on a tight budget and if I'm going to go with a less expensive product, I'm gonna save as much as I can.

So I guess it's pretty much down to Steeda's vs. SR's. Any opinions on Steeda's or info about drop if you leave out front iso's?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I know that it would go against what I said about budget, but you think I could do coil-overs for under...let's say $700? I get pretty good discounts because my dad has an auto shop so I could probably get 25-40% off of market price on most parts. It would just be sick as hell to not have to worry about clearance because I could adjust as I see fit and when I go to a show, I could drop it lowwww.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
H&R SS springs. Best lowering springs I've ever had.

·
Registered
227 Posts
H&R ss's sit just perfect!

But beware! I have a UPR o/r x with a MAC cat back and I scrape like a bastard!

I even ripped a tail pipe off once driving down Woodhaven Blvd in Queens.

It scrapes everywhere! There's no such thing as going over a speed bump without scraping my exhaust.

I used to have Tein S-tech's and they absolutely sucked. Terribly bouncy. I'm back to the stock springs no. No more lowering springs for me, all about track times now.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Steeda Sport springs and the ride is better than stock. Very pleased here

:drool

That looks nice. I want to get a pair of R888's when I get new wheels down the road. I have T1R's out back right now, which I see is what you have up front. How do they hook on the street when they're not warmed up?

Also, did you need CC plates?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
H&R SS.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What dampners are you running. This is important if you care any about your ride. Dampners NEED to match the springs.

Sent by carrier pigeon
If you're asking me, my suspension is pretty much stock.

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
H&R ss's sit just perfect!

But beware! I have a UPR o/r x with a MAC cat back and I scrape like a bastard!

I even ripped a tail pipe off once driving down Woodhaven Blvd in Queens.

It scrapes everywhere! There's no such thing as going over a speed bump without scraping my exhaust.

I used to have Tein S-tech's and they absolutely sucked. Terribly bouncy. I'm back to the stock springs no. No more lowering springs for me, all about track times now.
Yeah I'm the same, but with a Pypes o/r x. I've only scraped two times: a road no Mustang of any height should travel (I was basically off-roading), and a ramp like incline in the road that levels out at the top, in my downtown area.

The H&R SS's are the **** though... ride quality is decent all things considered. And the drop is the best you're going to get without, A.) cutting springs or B.) Coilovers. They handle well too, with a 750lb. front spring rating. DON'T judge by my sig, those were cheap $90 SVE springs.
Here is a pic as of the other day(with NO isos), I can't wait to get my 18's back on. The stance will be very nice.

Once I get my Bilstein Sport shocks put on, it should be a pretty firm and predictable ride.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts