Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know what is supposed to be in my year car. It was originally a '97 V-6. Should have a 7.5" rear. The previous owner swapped out motor, which also brought a new tranny, driveshaft and exhaust. My point is they could have changed the rear end as well.
I know there should be a tag under one bolt on the cover, there isnt which also leads me to believe maybe it was changed.
I have looked at the bolt patterns and can't really tell which mine looks most like with my novice eye. Does anyone know if the dimensions of the cover are different and what it should measure?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CD

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after further research today, i am almost positive this is 8.8. looks like the 7.5 does have a noticably flat top and bottom. also i read something that said Ford 7.5 reaer ends had drum brakes. is that on all of them? i think i have answered my question, but i know there are alot of actual mechanics out there who can confirm for me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
It is an 8.8

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok great, thanks darrell, alot of your posts have really helped me out and i really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Thanks Much

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the rear as not been changed, it will be a 7.5". Check the rear end tag which will tell you. You can go to my web site and click the rear info page where I have some photos and measurements of Ford rear ends.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
that's am 8.8 in the pic.
Yes it most certainly is. I visited the link. Looks like someone is trying to sell something???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx all...
gears are next in the mod lineup:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, it's an 8.8", I didn't see there were photos of the rear in question. If it's got 5 lugs and disc brakes, then it likely was swapped from a 94-98 V8 stang.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts