Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the track tomorrow. I assume this is pretty straight forward. I haven't looked at it really but am guessing its got some end links that come off and a few mounting brackets? Is it pretty easy on an 03? Any tips/tricks I should be aware of. Gonna do it this after work today. How long should it take? Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
easiest if you can drive you car on to a set of ramps. Then start by loosening the the 2 lower bolts (1 on each side) on the sway bar links.

Next there are 4 bolts (2 on each side) that hold the sway bar bushing undo those and the sway bar should drop (be careful not to have it drop on your face it's pretty heavy).

The biggest P.I.T.A. is getting it through/removing the plastic splash guards.

With the right tools and some patience should take about 20 minutes to do.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have never done this when going to the track, perhaps i will try it this spring

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
easiest if you can drive you car on to a set of ramps. Then start by loosening the the 2 lower bolts (1 on each side) on the sway bar links.

Next there are 4 bolts (2 on each side) that hold the sway bar bushing undo those and the sway bar should drop (be careful not to have it drop on your face it's pretty heavy).

The biggest P.I.T.A. is getting it through/removing the plastic splash guards.

With the right tools and some patience should take about 20 minutes to do.

Cool. I do have ramps and would much rather do that than jack it up. I think i read that is uses a 15mm deep well, 16mm open in and a screw driver or something like that.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I took mine off while the car was on ramps (we were welding in FLSFCs at the time), and I think it would actually be a little easier if the suspension hadn't been compressed. I had to muscle the sway bar links out of their mounts in the a-arms. Even with all of the bolts removed, it was still in there pretty tightly. Once you get one side out of the a-arm, it's just a matter of wiggling it out and around all the other mess under.

Of course, it's also possible that I didn't do something right.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Does this really even help? Anyone done back to back runs removing it in between?
My own anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that it does help the front end rise up at launch. That said, I don't think it makes much of a difference ET wise. Perhaps higher hp cars notice a bigger difference.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
it all adds up...they aren't light.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
it all adds up...they aren't light.
Is that the reason people are removing them though? That's what I thought but it seems more and more people are using it as a " free drag suspension mod", like it loads up the rear tires more or something.

BTW another easy thing to do to shed weight is taking that dogbone off the rear end.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the dogbone isn't a good idea IMHO. wieght transfer is better without the sway bar, added with a k member, bumper bar, ect it will help

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did that it w/ the jack stands and had it off in about 20 min's w/ my 6 yr old helping. Question though, when i put it back on does the suspension need to be relaxed or does it matter, like if I put in back on while car is on the ramps and suspension would be compressed more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts