Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im starting to modify the car. I am looking to upgrade the gears, possibly to the 4.10's with a Bama SCT Tune. Are the gears even worth me doing being that the only performance im doing for now is a K&N drop in filter, SR Performance Throttle Body Spacer, AT Axle back exhaust and the tune??? Plus if someone can tell me how changing the gears will effect the performance of my car that would be great

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Gears are a fun mod. They basically help you accelerate more quickly. I would definitely recommend them because they are the only mod that you listed that you will actually feel. But get a tlok installed at the same time otherwise you'll have nice gears and a shitty differential (and your burnouts will look like **** since you'll only spin 1 wheel). Or better yet, find a whole rear end out of a GT (will be 8.8" instead of 7.5" that V6s come with) and swap that in. It already has a tlok and you might be able to find one with 3.73 or 4.10 gears installed. Plus you'll spend $180 on gears, $400+ on a tlok (since Ford Racing no longer makes their $200 tlok), $100 on install/bearing kit and gear oil, and $350 on the install all for your 7.5" rear whereas you can pick up a full 8.8" rear for under $400 (and it's stronger than your 7.5" rear, which can be broken by bone stock power). Install is pretty simple if you can turn a wrench and get a buddy to help you move the rear ends around. If you decide to stick with your 7.5" rear, do not install gears without a tlok. Eventually you'll want a tlok and you'll end up paying twice for the same install (differential has to come out to install gears).

Also, DO NOT waste your money on a throttle body spacer. It's just an expensive paper weight. You will not get more air into your engine and it will not cool the air any more before it gets to the upper intake (which is hot and will warm the air anyways). Any place that sells throttle body spacers will make them sound awesome to get you to pay $100+ for a chunk of metal that does nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only paid $39.95 from American muscle for the one I have on the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Ok so im starting to modify the car. I am looking to upgrade the gears, possibly to the 4.10's with a Bama SCT Tune. Are the gears even worth me doing being that the only performance im doing for now is a K&N drop in filter, SR Performance Throttle Body Spacer, AT Axle back exhaust and the tune??? Plus if someone can tell me how changing the gears will effect the performance of my car that would be great
Yes, gears are definitely worth doing! A set of 4.10's is one of the most beneficial mods you can do to any Mustang. You'll notice huge gains in Acceleration and Torque from a set up like this. Pair it together with a Bama tune and some supporting mods and your Mustang is going to be a lot of fun to drive!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some further assistance. Thank you for placing your order with us, we really appreciate your business and loyalty!

-Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I did a little more digging and no where does it say it cools the air (as mcqueen previously stated) The point of the TBS is primarily for fuel efficiency, and slight horespower gain. Its not going to give much but due to the rotation of air (and test have shown) throttle body spacers will increase throttle response and decrease fuel consumption due to the rotation of air passing through it. so -1 to you to.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Ok, so I did a little more digging and no where does it say it cools the air (as mcqueen previously stated) The point of the TBS is primarily for fuel efficiency, and slight horespower gain. Its not going to give much but due to the rotation of air (and test have shown) throttle body spacers will increase throttle response and decrease fuel consumption due to the rotation of air passing through it. so -1 to you to.
Yes you're 100% correct. The Throttle body spacer is designed to be a cheap/quick mod that will definitely give you some gains. You'll see a small gain in power, throttle response and gas mileage. The gain's aren't huge but they're definitely there!

I hope this helps!

-Dan

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Oh, the age old TB spacer arguement... I have yet to make up my mind, but thankfully, I have ALOT of modding to do before I even think about one of those... 4.10 gears are next for me. Anyone have any for sale? I'd be interested!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
"Tests" have also shown that k&n cold air intakes make 20+hp on NE v6s. They obviously dont and i dont believe throttle body spacers are anything but expensive paper weights marketed towards the type of people who believe ebay "super chips" actually give your car an extra 100hp and 50mpg.

Sent from nowhere.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a throttle body spacer. It looks nice I guess. That's about all it does. Sometimes I get a little whistle when I hit the gas pedal. If I were you I'd listen to McQueen and go with gears and t-Lok. I have 4.10's in my car and it was by far the best mod I've done. My car feels so much faster and leaving 2 big ass skid marks is much cooler than the one wheel peel. The only thing that sucked about changing gears was the annoying vibration I get when I hit about 85 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I have a throttle body spacer. It looks nice I guess. That's about all it does. Sometimes I get a little whistle when I hit the gas pedal. If I were you I'd listen to McQueen and go with gears and t-Lok. I have 4.10's in my car and it was by far the best mod I've done. My car feels so much faster and leaving 2 big ass skid marks is much cooler than the one wheel peel. The only thing that sucked about changing gears was the annoying vibration I get when I hit about 85 mph.

Did the shop guarantee their work? If so, I'd take it back and have them check it. New gears should not cause vibrations. I'd also consider checking your suspension/tires and getting an alignment depending on where exactly the vibrations are coming from.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Now I'm not expert so correct me if i'm off base here.

Something else to think about is if you do alot of highway driving i've always heard that the 3.73 would be a better choice since you lose some of that top end power when you put gears in.

I would listen to mcqueen in the fact it's more cost effective to just swap the whole rear end. Go ahead buy the 3.73 gears for the 8.8 rear end and just swap out the entire thing. You might even get lucky and find a wrecked GT that someone is parting out and be able to get the rear end off them cheap.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
If a tbs gives power, you should check out electric supercharges.

But in all seriousness. I like the 8.8 in rear end idea.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Now I'm not expert so correct me if i'm off base here.

Something else to think about is if you do alot of highway driving i've always heard that the 3.73 would be a better choice since you lose some of that top end power when you put gears in.

I would listen to mcqueen in the fact it's more cost effective to just swap the whole rear end. Go ahead buy the 3.73 gears for the 8.8 rear end and just swap out the entire thing. You might even get lucky and find a wrecked GT that someone is parting out and be able to get the rear end off them cheap.
For a V6, I think the top end loss is worth the low end fun. In my old 2000 V6 I had 4.10 gears and if I remember correctly 4th gear redlined at about 85-90mph. I rarely went that fast since I mostly drove in the city so taking off a little quicker was way more fun than saving top end power that I never used (since I never went to the drag strip and averaged 70-75mph on the highway).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did the shop guarantee their work? If so, I'd take it back and have them check it. New gears should not cause vibrations. I'd also consider checking your suspension/tires and getting an alignment depending on where exactly the vibrations are coming from.
It was done at the dealership, it has been taken apart, inspected, driveshaft moved around, all that fun stuff. I got 4 brand new tires enforce the get swap. I did a little research and I'm not the only one that has had this problem after a gear swap. It has something to do with the harmonics and the stock driveshaft. If it does it after the driveshaft swap then I'll be going to the dealership to have everything reinstalled. Vibrations are coming from the rear, only after 80mph and are worst on deceleration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts