Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just recently picked up my 2004 cobra, and I'm already wanting to get rid of the POS stock clutch. The previous owner said the car dynoed a few years ago just over 500 at the wheels, and you can really feel the clutch slip if you get into it. I only plan on modding more, so I'm wanting to go to a stage 2 clutch. I saw AM has Spec kits, but I've read bad things about them. I only wanna do this upgrade once, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have heard bad things about the TOB on all spec clutches except for the 3+. That is the one I have and I love it. Holds power great and there is absolutley no slipping. Everyone else I have talked to with a 3+ hasnt had a problem with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like the 3+ on the street? I'm gonna be daily driving the car and possibly getting into autocross with a friend. I wouldn't want the stage 2 to slip on me.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I love it. I daily drive my cobra and the 3+ is fine once you get used to it on the street. It took some getting used to though for a dd. Its a lot easier than the stage 3.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In what way is it different? I had a stage 2 in my GT and you could pretty much 'pop' the clutch out in any gear without giving it gas and it would roll. I like to rip through the gears rather quick, and I'm not really a fan of feathering the clutch or anything

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Stage 3, even though its a street/strip clutch, is pretty much better off on a track car imo. The drivability of the 3+ is a lot better, however its still very grippy. no need to feather it

·
Banned
416 Posts
I make over 700 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels and I am running the 3+. I have zero complaints!

·
Registered
50 Posts
3+ is what i am running as well. Just passed the 500 mile break in so I can finally tear it up. I am at 600 RWHP myself.

Clutch best price plus free shipping found at http://www.lmperformance.com/44619/101.html
Get a 26 spline upgrade from here Liberty Gear : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Get this D&D Performance - BC24 T-56 Billet Cobra Guide Tube

Then use FRPP TOB and Pilot from D&D. Also get a Cobra Bob shifter gasket and fill it up with Penzoil Synchromesh. You will love it.

Reactions: xslobcorex

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3+ is what i am running as well. Just passed the 500 mile break in so I can finally tear it up. I am at 600 RWHP myself.

Clutch best price plus free shipping found at SPEC SF873F SPEC Clutch Kit Stage 3+ - Ford Mustang 1999-2004 4.6L Cobra, MACH - SF873F, SPEC Clutch Kit
Get a 26 spline upgrade from here Liberty Gear : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Get this D&D Performance - BC24 T-56 Billet Cobra Guide Tube

Then use FRPP TOB and Pilot from D&D. Also get a Cobra Bob shifter gasket and fill it up with Penzoil Synchromesh. You will love it.
This is what I'm talkin about! When I can get to my computer I'm gonna look deeper into all this stuff. As it sits now, my cobra is kinda hard to shift. Hopefully all this stuff will help with that issue?

·
Banned
416 Posts

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i ran a sepc 3, loved the hell out of it. i going back to one for a little while till i get a 26 spline input for my t45. the 3+ feels about the same to me. i like the spec 2 as well, although they can be stiff. as for the TOB, i have had trouble with all of them except for an oem, maybe thats just my luck???

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what I'm talkin about! When I can get to my computer I'm gonna look deeper into all this stuff. As it sits now, my cobra is kinda hard to shift. Hopefully all this stuff will help with that issue?
These and a properly adjusted clutch.

You want a stock Ford cable, the Fiore quadrant and micro click adjuster and adjust it to spec.

Also a MGW Orange or Silver Race shifter depending upon your preference. Put a Cobra Bob shifter gasket in to keep it all quiet.

Stang Shifter Gaskets

All of these and possibly the Anti Venom T56 mod and you will be shifting like butter and holding 850 Ft LBS of Torque.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not THAT huge of a difference, just one of those items that makes a project seem complete. I try to get stuff buttoned up once and not screw with the same issues over and over. T56 noise and notchy shifting seems to be a pretty common complaint, so when I did my clutch I just tried to cover each of the common items that need repair from the block back to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Gotcha...mine is really not very noisy and shifts pretty damn smooth, once I swapped the B&M shifter for the Tri-ax anyways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts