Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a stock 08 gt convertible and started to learn what potential it really has. I just need help putting it together as I am not sure what to do next - i am looking for an everyday car as well as a relative performance car.
So far:
tons of interior and exterior styling and tints
s&b cai
bbk short headers
Hurst Short throw

thinking about:
flashing it
new exhaust
throttle body
idle pulleys
delete plates
new rims

Seems like a pain but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just joined the forums but so far this is incredible

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Welcome to the forums. :)

I would look at a tuner from SCT from either

BamaChips Tuning

or

BRENSPEED, BBK BMR SCT STEEDA MAC PYPES SLP MUSTANG PERFORMANCE PARTS

Exhaust, we have a great sticky exhaust thread at the top of the 05 page in this section. If you go with headers, go with long tubes. They provide more hp gains than shorties.

Throttle bodies do nothing for you and can be very problematic. Only worth changing if you get serious with your power, say over 500 hp.

Pullies are worth about 10 horse. Go with a set from Steeda.

Delete plates worth about 5 - 10 hp.

Also consider gears, either 3.73's or 4.10's.

Also consider an aluminum driveshaft. The factory unit weighs 42 lbs. A good aluminum unit weighs around 18 - 20 lbs. The reduction in rotating mass will see an increase of about 10 - 12 horse at the wheels.

Then you can also consider suspension modifications.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
So i bought a stock 08 gt convertible and started to learn what potential it really has. I just need help putting it together as I am not sure what to do next - i am looking for an everyday car as well as a relative performance car.
So far:
tons of interior and exterior styling and tints
s&b cai- Top 2 CAI for RWHP gain are JLT and C and L
bbk short headers-good
Hurst Short throw- Heard good and bad, MGW is rated best

thinking about:
flashing it- xcal2 and xcal3 are def a good mod for the 05+gt from either Trick Tuners or Brenspeed
new exhaust- A new muffler and mid pipe are a great combo with the headers, consider a o/r x pype and check out the sticky thread at the top of the forums to hear some great exhausts
throttle body- Worthless Paperweight spacer and no need for new TB till above 500Hp
idle pulleys-Good
delete plates-good
new rims-Awesome

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are there any other base things I should consider? would the 3.73 kill my mileage?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
are there any other base things I should consider? would the 3.73 kill my mileage?
Only because it will give you a heavier foot. Under normal driving, it won't affect your mileage, and ma actually help in city driving. Being that gears are a torque multiplier, the steeper cogs will actually make it easier for the engine to get your car rolling.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you recommend the 4.10 over the 3.73? what would all these mods run me dollar wise?

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Just so you know, If your planning on taking your car to the track you can only run a 13.5 with a convertible before you have to put a cage on it.... So you will only get one chance to get a good run before they kick you off the track ( better make it a good one ). As for your list it looks pretty good. I would recomend a roll bar and tonneau cover to spice it up a bit. Here is a pic of both on a car ( I also have both but the tonneau is getting painted as we speak, so I should have good first hand photos by the weekend )...

https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=Speedster-Cover-Styling-Bar_820.jpg

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
would you recommend the 4.10 over the 3.73? what would all these mods run me dollar wise?
For a naturally aspirated motor, for me, the 4.10 is the way to go. I'm having mine installed up here as soon as the snow melts. It's going to cost me 600 bucks installed, including the FRPP gears. Shouldn't cost you more than 270 -300 buck for the gears, and 300 for the install.

3.73's will cost you about 150 rpm in 5th @ 65 mph, and 4.10's will cost you around 350 - 400 rpm at the same speed.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
For a naturally aspirated motor, for me, the 4.10 is the way to go. I'm having mine installed up here as soon as the snow melts. It's going to cost me 600 bucks installed, including the FRPP gears. Shouldn't cost you more than 270 -300 buck for the gears, and 300 for the install.

3.73's will cost you about 150 rpm in 5th @ 65 mph, and 4.10's will cost you around 350 - 400 rpm at the same speed.
I can get the gears for way cheaper the that.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I can get the gears for way cheaper the that.
I can get the Motive gears cheaper as well. 270 bucks was the best price I found in my area for the FRPP set. A couple hundred bucks for the install, a few bucks for friction modifier, and taxes, I came in at just over 600.

I'm sure he can shop around, which is why I said he shouldn't have to pay MORE than 600 bucks for everything. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love that deep roar - its why I bought it - the second I turned on the car was the second I knew I needed it.
I guess the plan is the tuner then delete plates, then the new drive shaft. Is there a benefit to a new cam?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
If you like deep, check out axle backs from Corsa or MBRP, for starters. They are expensive though, but you get what you pay for.

Cams are beneficial, in that they will add about 30 - 40 rwhp depending on the rest of your mods. And they sound amazing. :yes

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
If your undecided on a sound check out the exhaust sticky its got some great comparisons

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much everyone for your help

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyone have a recomendation on pulleys?

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I forget the link but google Moss Mustangs, they are having a sale ( 30% off ) on the Steeda UDP ( $180 shipped ). They are still listed full price on the site but just tell them you get their catalog and it says they are 30% off....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do you recommend putting in pulleys?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts