Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Captain of Squad 11
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had posted some pics of my car (put my louvers on today) and Vince told me that i had a ton of swirls in the paint. :( i live on a dirt road its hard to keep a black car clean please every1 set me on the right path. Links and what not are very welcome! :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
well you have plenty of swirls man, check out the detailing stickies and the video library I made for members

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
well you have plenty of swirls man, check out the detailing stickies and the video library I made for members
x2

Check out all the stickies and then come back to us if you have more specific questions.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
if you are not sure how to do it, i would recommend finding a local shop to do it for you. When you take it in, watch on how they fix it, so if you get swirls next time, you can do it yourself

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Yeah, you're paint looks terrible man. Read up on the stickies and if you don't think you can do it, take it to a detailer

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Like others have said all that needs to be known can be found in the stickies...

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
looking at your pics some more, you definately need to take it to a professional detailer and pray they can fix it up. its gonna need the full treatment and be prepared to cough up a few hundred on getting it redone right.

If I ever get swirls or water spots, I try to fix it on the spot. I use scratch-x 2.0 and I always do it by hand. If you want to do your entire car, it will take you quite a bit of time. Dedicate time to each part of your car, like front end one day, sides the next, and rear the following day.

My steps...
1. Wash the car thoroughly, ensure its dry and the car is covered.
2. use an applicator pad with scratch-x and work it into the area with swirls. Be gentle with it, and dont force it into it.
3. use a microfiber cloth to remove the scratch-x.
4. redo 2-3 as needed until swirls are gone or no longer do anything
5. quick detail the car, make sure none of the scratch-x is left
6. lay down wax of your choice

I always do it by hand. if you dont know how to use a buffer, you can damage your paint some more.
You also might want to claybar too

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It doesn't look TERRIBLE!

i mean not great, but definitely can be fixed!

·
Captain of Squad 11
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reassuring words man :D i just called my dealership and they have another branch thats proffesional detailing we'll see where this goes if not/// ANYBODY ON HERE IN THE NORTH FLORIDA SOUTH GA AREA THAT CAN PLEASE TAKE PITY ON ME AND HELLLLLLP LMAO :D

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Southern Alabama maybe? I'm 25 miles from the Florida line and 35 miles from Ga. I'd be willing to help if the money is right.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
if you are not sure how to do it, i would recommend finding a local shop to do it for you. When you take it in, watch on how they fix it, so if you get swirls next time, you can do it yourself
looking at your pics some more, you definately need to take it to a professional detailer and pray they can fix it up. its gonna need the full treatment and be prepared to cough up a few hundred on getting it redone right.

If I ever get swirls or water spots, I try to fix it on the spot. I use scratch-x 2.0 and I always do it by hand. If you want to do your entire car, it will take you quite a bit of time. Dedicate time to each part of your car, like front end one day, sides the next, and rear the following day.

My steps...
1. Wash the car thoroughly, ensure its dry and the car is covered.
2. use an applicator pad with scratch-x and work it into the area with swirls. Be gentle with it, and dont force it into it.
3. use a microfiber cloth to remove the scratch-x.
4. redo 2-3 as needed until swirls are gone or no longer do anything
5. quick detail the car, make sure none of the scratch-x is left
6. lay down wax of your choice

I always do it by hand. if you dont know how to use a buffer, you can damage your paint some more.
You also might want to claybar too

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but from your post, you need to learn some more yourself before giving advice like this.

First off, its a black car. There NO WAY he is goin to get all the swirls out by hand. The time and effort needed for that is just stupid.

Second, telling someone with this problem that only a pro can fix it is bad advice. Every person that is active in this section learned by asking questions and researching. Detailing is something that can be learned very fast. Now, you will not be the second coming of someone like Todd over at DI, but you CAN learn to do this.

Your steps don't include using IPA as a wipe down, or any product other than Swirl-X. That product has its place, but for swirls on a black car that bad, your gonna need a compound followed by a polish. Swirl-X will be like throwing water at a fish to piss it off......

OP, read the stickies, learn, ask questions.. thats how you can combat this. Be prepared to either pay a detailer $$$$ to do it, or be prepared to spend a little less money and pick up a new skill.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Second, telling someone with this problem that only a pro can fix it is bad advice. Every person that is active in this section learned by asking questions and researching. Detailing is something that can be learned very fast. Now, you will not be the second coming of someone like Todd over at DI, but you CAN learn to do this.
+1, I learned everything I know in a little less than a year

·
Captain of Squad 11
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Southern Alabama maybe? I'm 25 miles from the Florida line and 35 miles from Ga. I'd be willing to help if the money is right.

Hmm i live right on the GA FLA line myself, so we can talk prices bro. How good are you? :D can you get these damn swirls out of my car? thanks to every1 posting btw i will be learning how to do this !

·
Captain of Squad 11
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Zatrekaz I checked some of the stickies and you said if We were on a small budget to buy a paint restorer kit? can you link me to a decent one to start with? please!

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
Ultimate Compound 9.99$, Ultimate Polish 9.99, Uber Pads 33$, DA 120-150$, Mothers Clay bar kit 16.99$, Mothers Glaze 9.99$, Mothers FX SynWax ($?), and thats a cheap kit. :]

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Hmm i live right on the GA FLA line myself, so we can talk prices bro. How good are you? :D can you get these damn swirls out of my car? thanks to every1 posting btw i will be learning how to do this !
Zinc is one of the best detailers around. He taught me a ton when I was first starting out. (allstate voice)You will be in good hands.

Hey Zatrekaz I checked some of the stickies and you said if We were on a small budget to buy a paint restorer kit? can you link me to a decent one to start with? please!
If your on a low budget, you can buy a kit. However, I asure you there will be something else you will need. The question is, do you want to invest in a machine and do it the right way, or go by hand? I warn you... every single person that has started by hand bought the machine and wished they did the first time.

If you really want to get this fixed, I would suggest one of these two kits:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP & Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Starter Kit 5" Free Bonus | Detailed Image
This is using Meguiar's new Microfiber Polishing system. This system has been getting amazing reviews and seems to be something to really look into.

DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads | Detailed Image
This kit uses Meguiar's M105/M205. This is one of the most standard combinations in the industry. I personally use this system.

Both of these kits will require I few more things, such as:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts