Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my first post.....I have an 83 merc capri rs with a 5.0l. I've recently installed an msd ignition, and distributor. Once put back together, I now have no spark. I've gone through all the steps.
Resistance coming from green and violet out of distributor is over 500 ohms.
When jumped I have spark at coil. Trigger power is 12volts and main power is 12volts. Ground is also good.
This just isnt making any sence being that i have the right resistance from the distributor, power to msd box, and spark when jumped??
Please give me some ideas here....
I also eliminated the wiring harness to stock distributor but duraspark is still connected.
Thanks

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
take msd crap
throw it in the trash
put the stock stuff back on
enjoy reliable car

·
Registered
71 Posts
witch set up are you running/ is this the one?
Do you have the instructions that came with the MSD box?
are you saying that you can get the coil to fire by jumping something? What?

I have had good luck with my MSD stuff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes that is the set up..... if i jump green and violet to msd box i get spark from coil when i pull the jumper out of the connection...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Sounds like the hall effect (or whatever type of sensor they use to get a tach signal) is bad in the distributor.

And what do you mean resistance coming out of the wires is over 500 ohms? You mean you're metering across the violet and green leads and getting over 500 ohms? How much over? Does it tell you to do that in the instructions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts