Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has the same stuff I do besides being a 3650 and having 3.55 gears. He wants to put 4.10s like I have, but I told him he needs to do other things first like poly engine mounts and a better shifter. It's nearly impossible to powershift 2nd and 3rd with the oem shifter. And he's also looking to get tires like me, but I told him he needs a better clutch first. I also told him that since he's @ 78k miles, if he does install gears, to rebuild everything whole it's apart like I did. He's trying to be a cheap bastard haha! I'm afraid that will bite him in the ass in a bad way if he does.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it were me, I'd do shifter, motor mounts, suspension and then tires/rear end.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Have him make a plan with end goals in mind and then just start building from the ground up.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
He has the same stuff I do besides being a 3650 and having 3.55 gears. He wants to put 4.10s like I have, but I told him he needs to do other things first like poly engine mounts and a better shifter. It's nearly impossible to powershift 2nd and 3rd with the oem shifter. And he's also looking to get tires like me, but I told him he needs a better clutch first. I also told him that since he's @ 78k miles, if he does install gears, to rebuild everything whole it's apart like I did. He's trying to be a cheap bastard haha! I'm afraid that will bite him in the ass in a bad way if he does.
If it were me, I'd do shifter, motor mounts, suspension and then tires/rear end.
Totally disagree. Build from the ground up. Wheels/tires, then suspension.

Motor mounts generally cause more NVH. A lot of people that buy them quickly remove them.

4.10s only require a better shifter if you drive like an asshole all the time. Then again, I ****ing love my MGW shifter and wish I'd done that first.

The stock clutch, as has been discussed on another thread recently started, is not a piece of crap. Tons of people run those clutches for 50k+ hard miles (myself included), and many making 500rwhp also run them without issue for a long time.

Also, whoever told you that you need a better clutch before getting better tires is a moron. If you're running slicks or DR and launching at 4k RPMs at every stoplight the input shaft will go long before the clutch. The stock Pirelli's are garbage tires IMO, and putting on a decent set of tires should be the very first thing done.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Tires first, then suspension, then go fast parts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Torque limiters, that sounds good. So you guys think that if he gets ET Streets like I have, his stock clutch will survive with 78k miles launching it hard? He has slightly better street tires.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
Torque limiters, that sounds good. So you guys think that if he gets ET Streets like I have, his stock clutch will survive with 78k miles launching it hard? He has slightly better street tires.
So he redlines it and drops the clutch at every light? Because then we have a different issue. Like I said, the clutch on stock-ish power levels is going to be fine. The input shaft will go first. Hell, his rear end may go before that. many other weak links before the clutch.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh OK. Well he does drive it pretty hard. Not for sure if it's that hard haha. But like I was saying, he's wanting to get gears next but doesn't wanna redo everything in there while it's apart. He just wants to R&R ring and pinion. With those miles, I for sure would rebuild the whole thing. That's what I did while I had it apart the 2nd time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ran my stock clutch for 100k miles and this was my first manual car, but once I got the hang of it I've been driving it hard ever since. He should still be fine. I just did wheels and tires not too long ago and it's probably my favorite mod yet, it really makes a difference

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'd agree the stock clutch works well for mild bolt-ons and most likely including gears. I have 67K on mine and drive the car like it was intended. I'll wait until I get unintentional clutch slippage and the consider upgrading. Right now it serves it's purpose well.

My mod list in order of priorities: CAI & tuner, tires/wheels (width and traction), minor suspension upgrades, gears, other minor bolt-ons...

Once you start loosing traction due to increased power levels, keep working on suspension components. Just my take as I try to phase things out.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
I'd agree the stock clutch works well for mild bolt-ons and most likely including gears. I have 67K on mine and drive the car like it was intended. I'll wait until I get unintentional clutch slippage and the consider upgrading. Right now it serves it's purpose well.
Same here, and my car's also just past 67k miles.
Mod list is in My Garage

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Gears will help the clutch by putting less stress on it.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
Ahh OK. Well he does drive it pretty hard. Not for sure if it's that hard haha. But like I was saying, he's wanting to get gears next but doesn't wanna redo everything in there while it's apart. He just wants to R&R ring and pinion. With those miles, I for sure would rebuild the whole thing. That's what I did while I had it apart the 2nd time.
No sense in paying someone to tear it down and not replace the rest of it. The rebuild kit is what, a whopping $100 or so? Hell, I've only got 55k miles on mine and probably only 5k since the rear was rebuilt, but I'd even spend the extra to rebuild it rather just than R&R the gears.

He'd be better off just doing the rear end rebuild than doing just the gears and something else. If he doesn't rebuild the rear end, he'll be hella-pissed when he drops the clutch on the 4.10s and shreds the whole ****ing thing and has to have it rebuilt AND replace the gears again.

Sounds like your friend needs to do some research. If modding cars the right way were as easy as making a list and buying the parts we'd all be running 10s by now. Unfortunately, doing it safely and correctly takes time and money.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that's what I've been trying to tell him. He needs to rebuild it all like I did. Bearings and such were like an extra 130. Labor was about another 100. Money well spent IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts