Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all that think this is stupid easy lol.

I am thinking that with 180,000 miles on my Mustang that a Timing chain an gears would be a gook thing to replace.

I've never done anything like this.
So what do I need?
gaskets, sealant, and timing chain kit.
Anything i'm missing?

The timing chain kit i'm looking at is from late model restorations, it's a Comp Cams double chain kit for about $40 bucks.

I need some love on this question.
I'm a D.I.Y. kinda guy but i'm no mechanic and I am working with limited tools and no knowledge of how to do this.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Thats a looooottt of work to change a timing chain. I think it would be easier to throw a motor in with less mileage to be honest. The accessories, balancer, and crank pulley all need to come off. Going to need to gaskets for timing chain cover to block, water pump to timing chain cover and I suggest you go to ace hard ware and get new bolts.

If you want I bought arp bolts for a fox body water pump since my stock ones were destroyed when I took em out. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a looooottt of work to change a timing chain. I think it would be easier to throw a motor in with less mileage to be honest. The accessories, balancer, and crank pulley all need to come off. Going to need to gaskets for timing chain cover to block, water pump to timing chain cover and I suggest you go to ace hard ware and get new bolts.

If you want I bought arp bolts for a fox body water pump since my stock ones were destroyed when I took em out. Let me know if your interested.
Yeah that's alot of work, but I kinda wanna do it. I know I must have something wrong with me.

If I find that I need them and you're selling them for the right price I could be interested. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you want to do it right you're going to need a balancer removal tool (you can rent them at parts stores, get a 3 jaw) and a torque wrench on top of what you already listed. A can or 2 of brake cleaner will probably be a good idea too. You're also going to probably need a rubber mallet to knock the cover off. Prying it out with a screwdriver isn't a great idea because it's made of cast aluminum and the gasket surface mars easily. You can use a regular hammer and a piece of wood if you have nothing else, but this is only if you can't get it off by hand.

I have a terrible memory so if I tried to give you a step by step guide I would probably miss a step or two and confuse you anyway, lol, but it's not a hard job to do, just tedious with the engine in the car. Especially if the cover hasn't been pulled in a while and you have full accessories on the front.

Also be careful with the water-pump bolts. I've never had this issue myself, but a lot of guys have made threads about breaking them off in the block.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey bro hows it goin? did you figure out where the water was coming from?
nah I haven't yet bro. i've just been kiipin it in the small garage when it rains lol.

the few days on the car ramps may have loosened something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts