Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP!!!!! - new plugs and CAI bad idle/loss of power

Just changed out the plugs for the first time to NGK VPowers.

Also put a Granatelli intake tube with K&N filter on,,,stock MAF

Fired up car,,and she almost died,,,,rev'd,,all good,,,but now there's a noticable loss in power! She feels like she is stumbling, but no check engine light!

Do I need to reset the computer or anything????

Help me quick,,gotta 600 mile drive tomorrow!

---also - I did not disconnect the battery when I did all this,,could I have messed up the maf?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would say you need to reset the computer.

Did you double check the new intake to make sure everything is nice and tight?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I double checked all connections are good.

SO - I reset the computer (I assume disconnecting the neg. side, and holding the brakes,,trying to start it,,etc... is enough right?)

So i reset the computer and she seems to be running much better now. I also tightened the CAI coupler on the throttle bottle a tad more,,might have been leaking.

So now she's running strong again,,,feels good, but still seems like something is a 'miss' here. The idle sounds a bit more lopey (i realize I should 'hear' more with just an intake tube, and no silencer),,,weird thing is my exhaust sounds louder too?

Before resetting the computer it felt like I left a COP or Inj unplugged,,but they were all there,,,I reseated everything.

Now it feels OK,,,,,maybe I'm getting used to it.

Did I reset the computer the right way?

(thanks for the help guys,,,I'm screwed if she can't make it to GA tomorrow!)

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
all you gotta do to reset the comp is let it sit for about 15min with the battery unplugged.

did you gap the plugs correctly?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
all you gotta do to reset the comp is let it sit for about 15min with the battery unplugged.

did you gap the plugs correctly?
plus 1....they gappeD?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I checked them and they were all within .052-.055 from the box. NGK VPower,,,forgot the number,,but it's the recommend ones (stock heat range)

STILL FREAK'N MESSED UP!

---put the stock intake tube back on - seemed to be a bit better, but still have a miss. Cruising on the hwy it's most noticable in 5th gear,,,like the car is bucking/surging. Doesn't want to 'cruise' smoothly - hold an rpm smoothly.

Accelerates just fine,,feels good.

Cruising = bucking/surging.

Idle is fine.

Seems like I can hear a VERY slight backfire from the exhaust when the rpms drop around 2krpm

Could one of the COPs not be seated correctly? (they don't really *pop* on like others I'm used to,,,,I mean I felt pressure under them,,but didn't go *pop* when pushed them down on the plugs) All are snugged correctly with their retaining screws. I didn't smell a strong smell of gas in the exhaust.

WHAT IS THIS????? So pissed I even bothered to work on her before a long trip. Damn!

Any help is appreciated. I rechecked everything I touched, and everything is there and connected.

Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
this is the same problem i have lol brand new ngks only i used g-powers, i would give advice on how i fixed mine only im not 100% sure i fixed it at all, just seemed good for the short test drive i did, i just reinstalled all the plugs, checked all the gaps, cleaned the coils, and made sure everything was tight, good luck

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
you could try pulling off all the cops and then putting them back on.

are you sure thats the right gapping? i cant remember what it supposed to be, its been a while since i changed my plugs

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old plugs = Motorcraft AWSF-32PM
New Plugs = NGK TR-55's

bodie - just posted on your thread :)

I'm so pissed right now. It's 8pm,,,debating on running to AZ to read the codes,,then back to my shop to do it all over again. I'm sure I could bust it out in 20mins

How gap sensitive are these motors???? I didn't physically gap them myself as they all were within spec.

Is there any special way to seat the COPs? They didn't seem to pop on like I thought they should. Do they just kinda rest ontop of the plugs?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because I used a micrometer to measure them - they were all within .052-.055

Damn it....gonna run to AZ and have them read codes (no CEL is on).

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
you can see if its throwing codes yourself. turn the car to the on position then hold down the trip button and start it and keep holding it down till it says test. after that you can hit the trip button to find what codes are being thrown

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
are you sure you didn't close the gap on a plug when you dropped it into the head? it may just be a bad plug.

Reactions: ZenMGT

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can see if its throwing codes yourself. turn the car to the on position then hold down the trip button and start it and keep holding it down till it says test. after that you can hit the trip button to find what codes are being thrown
are you kidding me! lol that would of saved me half a tank of gas if i knew that sooner

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK - just got to AZ - the SEL came on while driving there!

codes = 0316 and 0306

everything points to #6 cylinder. (that is the second going back on the driver side correct?)

I bought a new COP while there,,and just got to the shop. Swapping out now,,and checking plugs real quick,,,weeeee

Let me know which cylinder is #6,,,pretty sure it's the second going back on the driver side (as standing from the front)

Thanks guys,,,ya'll rock! I might still make this trip yet!!!!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW - just found out what was ****ED UP = #6 spark plug = ZERO GAP!

WTF???? - The electrode top and bottom were touching!!! wtf? I checked all of them!

good grief. The SEL actually started blinking while over here and then went back to solid. OK,,,new plug, and new COP (cause I bought it).

--this is all in real-time by the way :) -----

1 - 20 of 30 Posts