Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP!!!!! - new plugs and CAI bad idle/loss of power

Just changed out the plugs for the first time to NGK VPowers.

Also put a Granatelli intake tube with K&N filter on,,,stock MAF

Fired up car,,and she almost died,,,,rev'd,,all good,,,but now there's a noticable loss in power! She feels like she is stumbling, but no check engine light!

Do I need to reset the computer or anything????

Help me quick,,gotta 600 mile drive tomorrow!

---also - I did not disconnect the battery when I did all this,,could I have messed up the maf?

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I double checked all connections are good.

SO - I reset the computer (I assume disconnecting the neg. side, and holding the brakes,,trying to start it,,etc... is enough right?)

So i reset the computer and she seems to be running much better now. I also tightened the CAI coupler on the throttle bottle a tad more,,might have been leaking.

So now she's running strong again,,,feels good, but still seems like something is a 'miss' here. The idle sounds a bit more lopey (i realize I should 'hear' more with just an intake tube, and no silencer),,,weird thing is my exhaust sounds louder too?

Before resetting the computer it felt like I left a COP or Inj unplugged,,but they were all there,,,I reseated everything.

Now it feels OK,,,,,maybe I'm getting used to it.

Did I reset the computer the right way?

(thanks for the help guys,,,I'm screwed if she can't make it to GA tomorrow!)

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I checked them and they were all within .052-.055 from the box. NGK VPower,,,forgot the number,,but it's the recommend ones (stock heat range)

STILL FREAK'N MESSED UP!

---put the stock intake tube back on - seemed to be a bit better, but still have a miss. Cruising on the hwy it's most noticable in 5th gear,,,like the car is bucking/surging. Doesn't want to 'cruise' smoothly - hold an rpm smoothly.

Accelerates just fine,,feels good.

Cruising = bucking/surging.

Idle is fine.

Seems like I can hear a VERY slight backfire from the exhaust when the rpms drop around 2krpm

Could one of the COPs not be seated correctly? (they don't really *pop* on like others I'm used to,,,,I mean I felt pressure under them,,but didn't go *pop* when pushed them down on the plugs) All are snugged correctly with their retaining screws. I didn't smell a strong smell of gas in the exhaust.

WHAT IS THIS????? So pissed I even bothered to work on her before a long trip. Damn!

Any help is appreciated. I rechecked everything I touched, and everything is there and connected.

Please help!!!!!

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old plugs = Motorcraft AWSF-32PM
New Plugs = NGK TR-55's

bodie - just posted on your thread :)

I'm so pissed right now. It's 8pm,,,debating on running to AZ to read the codes,,then back to my shop to do it all over again. I'm sure I could bust it out in 20mins

How gap sensitive are these motors???? I didn't physically gap them myself as they all were within spec.

Is there any special way to seat the COPs? They didn't seem to pop on like I thought they should. Do they just kinda rest ontop of the plugs?

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because I used a micrometer to measure them - they were all within .052-.055

Damn it....gonna run to AZ and have them read codes (no CEL is on).

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK - just got to AZ - the SEL came on while driving there!

codes = 0316 and 0306

everything points to #6 cylinder. (that is the second going back on the driver side correct?)

I bought a new COP while there,,and just got to the shop. Swapping out now,,and checking plugs real quick,,,weeeee

Let me know which cylinder is #6,,,pretty sure it's the second going back on the driver side (as standing from the front)

Thanks guys,,,ya'll rock! I might still make this trip yet!!!!

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW - just found out what was ****ED UP = #6 spark plug = ZERO GAP!

WTF???? - The electrode top and bottom were touching!!! wtf? I checked all of them!

good grief. The SEL actually started blinking while over here and then went back to solid. OK,,,new plug, and new COP (cause I bought it).

--this is all in real-time by the way :) -----

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
BREWSKI TIME! :drink

Thanks everyone. I've never had that happen before, and was about the last thing I would have checked. Luckily the SEL came on while I was going to AZ, so that helped greatly.

I just can't believe I missed that. I eased every one into the cylinders by hand, and got them started by hand. I must have spaced royally, and just missed it - and yes,,I did drop one,,just one,,and it must have been that one,,but it blow my frigg'n mind I missed that.

Oh swell,,live and learn,,I can swap plugs in about 10mins or less now :)

I left the Granatelli intake tube off,,stocker is back on. Had enough fun for tonight. Tomorrow we cruise 600 miles northward!

Thanks a million everyone, ya'll are awesome!

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ya'll have been rep'd indeed! :)

many thanks!

.....last minute packing now,,,chug'n a final brew in celebration,,and hit'n the hay.

Ya'll have a good, and SAFE holiday weekend!

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
:llama thanks Vert and 4D!

:)

offtopic question - my SEL was 'blinking' on my way to fix this messed up plug. What does a 'blinking' SEL mean vs. a non blinking SEL in these cars?

(it was solid,,,then started blinking,,,then when solid again all in one 4 mile trip)

Brewski #4 time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.