Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for good guide and I think I have basics but need help with details. im unable to see some pics after logging in to photo bucket.
I have vortech v3 understand i need to re clock to approximate 4 oclock discharge position install bov between charger and intercooler 1.(is cx racing one ok) then pipe from intercooler to throttle body 2.whats best position for ba 5000 maf or how far from throttle body and 3.where do i get vaccuum for iac and finally how many hoses from original cold air can be deleted

·
Registered
979 Posts
1. The CX Racing BOV is not a very good piece, I would recommend getting a TiAL Q 50mm, and installing that instead
2. Your MAF should be in the center of the longest, straightest piece you have, after the BOV. Essentially the long piece from the throttle body, but not too close to the bends.
3. There should already be an IAC line on your old cold air kit. Just reuse that source. Not sure what you can delete but you should be able to tell pretty easily once you start the install

Good luck!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
If you already have a non-intercooled Vortech then your MAF is in the cold air intake and your by-pass valve is in the pipe running from the supercharger to the throttle body. Adding an intercooler and switching from draw-through to blow-through is mostly just rearranging things. The only hose that can be eliminated is the one running from the by-pass valve back to the cold air intake. Because your new BOV is before the MAF instead of after you can vent supercharged air to atmosphere.

The 3" CXRacing intercooler is not very efficient but it is good for low boost applications. Remember you are going to have to pulley down to get the same boost that you have now. I've read that there is a 3-4 psi pressure drop across that intercooler. (note: even efficient intercoolers have a 1-2 psi drop.)

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Holy Cow!!!! My ProCharger 3-Core is $962 new. I am really glad it came included in my kit.
Procharger- Intercooler - 825hp - Justin's Performance Center

I think Pate picked the Treadstone TRV25. Maybe he will jump in. Anyway, I remember talking about it. Pate did a write up on this a couple of years ago. You can thank Photobucket for none of the pictures working.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/490745-common-intercooled-supercharger-install-questions.html#post11627753

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
If you’re going blow-through you will need a block off plate to cover the existing CX racing bypass valve flange also.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I have been searching for good guide and I think I have basics but need help with details. im unable to see some pics after logging in to photo bucket.
I have vortech v3 understand i need to re clock to approximate 4 oclock discharge position install bov between charger and intercooler 1.(is cx racing one ok) then pipe from intercooler to throttle body 2.whats best position for ba 5000 maf or how far from throttle body and 3.where do i get vaccuum for iac and finally how many hoses from original cold air can be deleted
I started to update the pictures in my build thread but did not finish yet. Pending the final placment of the pipes you will clock as needed to get it to line up.

Ditch that bov. It is junk. Maf should have at least 6” of straight pipe on both sides to reduce turbulence.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doing bunch of stuff at once changing engine to 4.75 stroker with trick flow heads and cams 15% od harmonic balancer and 3.33 pulley intercooler and swap to blow through got hung out to dry by mv performance now trying to get going for car show season and not really sure what matches up

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you already have a non-intercooled Vortech then your MAF is in the cold air intake and your by-pass valve is in the pipe running from the supercharger to the throttle body. Adding an intercooler and switching from draw-through to blow-through is mostly just rearranging things. The only hose that can be eliminated is the one running from the by-pass valve back to the cold air intake. Because your new BOV is before the MAF instead of after you can vent supercharged air to atmosphere.

The 3" CXRacing intercooler is not very efficient but it is good for low boost applications. Remember you are going to have to pulley down to get the same boost that you have now. I've read that there is a 3-4 psi pressure drop across that intercooler. (note: even efficient intercoolers have a 1-2 psi drop.)

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Holy Cow!!!! My ProCharger 3-Core is $962 new. I am really glad it came included in my kit.
Procharger- Intercooler - 825hp - Justin's Performance Center

I think Pate picked the Treadstone TRV25. Maybe he will jump in. Anyway, I remember talking about it. Pate did a write up on this a couple of years ago. You can thank Photobucket for none of the pictures working.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/490745-common-intercooled-supercharger-install-questions.html#post11627753
So what happens if i dont use blow off valve at all? or what if i delete draw through maf cut pipe going to throttle body and use blow through maf without intercooler

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
So what happens if i dont use blow off valve at all? or what if i delete draw through maf cut pipe going to throttle body and use blow through maf without intercooler
If you do not use a BPV/BOV (by-pass valve or blow-off valve) you will damage your supercharger. They are safety valves that prevent compressor surge which damages the head unit. Compressor surge happens when the pressure has no where to go so it builds up in the head unit over stressing it.

We control engine rpm by starving the motor. We limit the amount of air (and fuel) that it gets. Supercharged motors still run 95-99% of the time in vacuum. Vacuum that is caused by the cylinders sucking has hard as they can to get more air.

The butterfly valve in the TB (throttle body) is what controls the air flow. It is mostly closed at idle (not completely closed because the IAC (Idle Air Controller) needs a little by-pass air to function properly). My motor idles at 18 in.hg. of vacuum. When driving we open the TB a little to control speed. At 55 mph my motor is running at 12 in.hg. of vacuum. The only time the motor gets all the air it wants is at WOT (wide open throttle). That is also the only time my vacuum/boost gauge shows boost.

There is a little misconception about rpm and boost. Yes, a supercharger is always generating pressure. And yes, a centrifugal supercharger's boost is related to rpm. But the engine only uses the boost at WOT. I have driven down the road in third gear at 5500 rpm and the motor was still running in 8-10 in.hg. of vacuum. All the pressure was going out the BOV. At the time I was routing by-pass air back to the cold air intake (CAI). The pressure blew the hose off the CAI. If not for the BOV all of that pressure would have gone back into the head unit.

The BOV has a butterfly valve that works exactly opposite of the butterfly valve in the TB. The vacuum line connected to the BOV controls it. When the TB is closed the BOV is open. When the TB is open it is closed. Actually it closes ever so slightly faster. The 2 lb spring on the BOV allows it to overcome the final 2-4 in.hg. of vacuum trying to hold it open during the transition from vacuum to boost. Once the motor is in boost it is the pressure that holds the BOV closed. Let off the throttle and vacuum once again overcomes the 2 lb spring and it opens venting the pressure from the supercharger.

It is extremely important to have a functional BPV/BOV. The supercharger will not last long without it.

People have tried to put both the BOV and the MAF on the pipe running from the head unit to the TB in non-intercooled systems. Unfortunately there just isn't enough room. The pipe isn't long enough. In every single attempt the BOV caused turbulence in the MAF making it impossible to get a good tune.

Vortech designed their system to be be draw-through. Even if using the Vortech air-to-water aftercooler the system stays draw-through. It is only when people add aftermarket air-to-air intercoolers that they switch to a blow-through system. It is the only time there is enough piping to do so.

Note: I specifically said Vortech because ProChargers ship from the factory with an air-to-air intercooler and sufficient piping for a blow-through configuration.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do not use a BPV/BOV (by-pass valve or blow-off valve) you will damage your supercharger. They are safety valves that prevent compressor surge which damages the head unit. Compressor surge happens when the pressure has no where to go so it builds up in the head unit over stressing it.

We control engine rpm by starving the motor. We limit the amount of air (and fuel) that it gets. Supercharged motors still run 95-99% of the time in vacuum. Vacuum that is caused by the cylinders sucking has hard as they can to get more air.

The butterfly valve in the TB (throttle body) is what controls the air flow. It is mostly closed at idle (not completely closed because the IAC (Idle Air Controller) needs a little by-pass air to function properly). My motor idles at 18 in.hg. of vacuum. When driving we open the TB a little to control speed. At 55 mph my motor is running at 12 in.hg. of vacuum. The only time the motor gets all the air it wants is at WOT (wide open throttle). That is also the only time my vacuum/boost gauge shows boost.

There is a little misconception about rpm and boost. Yes, a supercharger is always generating pressure. And yes, a centrifugal supercharger's boost is related to rpm. But the engine only uses the boost at WOT. I have driven down the road in third gear at 5500 rpm and the motor was still running in 8-10 in.hg. of vacuum. All the pressure was going out the BOV. At the time I was routing by-pass air back to the cold air intake (CAI). The pressure blew the hose off the CAI. If not for the BOV all of that pressure would have gone back into the head unit.

The BOV has a butterfly valve that works exactly opposite of the butterfly valve in the TB. The vacuum line connected to the BOV controls it. When the TB is closed the BOV is open. When the TB is open it is closed. Actually it closes ever so slightly faster. The 2 lb spring on the BOV allows it to overcome the final 2-4 in.hg. of vacuum trying to hold it open during the transition from vacuum to boost. Once the motor is in boost it is the pressure that holds the BOV closed. Let off the throttle and vacuum once again overcomes the 2 lb spring and it opens venting the pressure from the supercharger.

It is extremely important to have a functional BPV/BOV. The supercharger will not last long without it.

People have tried to put both the BOV and the MAF on the pipe running from the head unit to the TB in non-intercooled systems. Unfortunately there just isn't enough room. The pipe isn't long enough. In every single attempt the BOV caused turbulence in the MAF making it impossible to get a good tune.

Vortech designed their system to be be draw-through. Even if using the Vortech air-to-water aftercooler the system stays draw-through. It is only when people add aftermarket air-to-air intercoolers that they switch to a draw through system. It is the only time there is enough piping to do so.

Note: I specifically said Vortech because ProChargers ship from the factory with an air-to-air intercooler and sufficient piping for a blow-through configuration.
i guess i currently have bypass valve then right? so if i do intercooler with bov what do i do with bypass valve sorry to sound so crazy but i know nothing about sc and was counting on guys to do it for me now im tight on budget and no car at all

·
Registered
979 Posts
i guess i currently have bypass valve then right? so if i do intercooler with bov what do i do with bypass valve sorry to sound so crazy but i know nothing about sc and was counting on guys to do it for me now im tight on budget and no car at all
The BPV and its pipe gets replaced/the flange blocked off depending on your piping that you are adding with the intercooler. Then your BOV goes in its desired location.

The BPV basically gets replaced with the BOV

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
If you are running draw-through, your MAF is located in your CAI. The air flows through it to the supercharger which compresses the the air. To prevent compressor surge the BPV is located between the head unit and the TB. Since you cannot vent metered air to atmosphere air from the BPV is routed back to the CAI after the MAF but before the head unit. If you were to vent metered air to atmosphere the motor will run very rich. The ECU will think the motor is getting more air than it really is. That way the air is not metered twice.

A BPV can be used as a BOV but most BOVs cannot be used as a BPVs. The difference is the return hose. Many BOVs do not have them. To make a BPV work as a BOV all you have to do is to let the hose vent to atmosphere. Some systems route a BOV back to the CAI. ProChargers do that but all that they are doing is routing un-metered air back to make the system run a little more quiet.

People say you can get a better tune going blow-through with an intercooler. That may be true but Vortechs with air-to-water aftercoolers are still draw-through. There is not enough piping to make them blow-through. Why go blow-through with an air-to-air intercooler? The problem is that the air-to-air intercooler puts a restriction in the flow of air. That in itself can cause compressor surge. To prevent that the BPV/BOV has to be moved to the pipe that runs from head unit to the intercooler. And to get a more accurate measure of air flow and air temperature the MAF is moved to a location after the intercooler.

You can use both your current MAF and BPV in a blow-through system. All you have to do is to move their locations. To turn a BPV into a BOV all you do is vent it to atmosphere.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

By the way, I have a blow-through system and I have had compressor surge. When my BOV return hose blew off I decided to really torque it down and I crushed the plastic nipple it was connected to. Air could not flow through the BOV so I got a surging sound from my head unit as it tried to deal with the back pressure. I fixed the problem by venting the hose to atmosphere and plugging the nipple in the CAI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts