Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 mustang originally a 3.8 liter, I took a 5.0 out of a 1988 lincoln towncar and rebuilt it, new pisons, rings, gt-40 cylinder heads, lots of goodies. Car ran fine no problems at all for a few months, and i noticed a tiny water pump leak, no biggy car never overheated or anything it was barely noticable, changed the pump and all was good. On my way to work one morning the car started overheating, might have done it for like 2 or 3 blocks maybe 5 mins tops which i believe to be a high estimate of total time it overheated. so i got to work, and found out my elect fan relay fudged up, i replaced it and the car now overheats while sitting still but not driving, i removed electric fan and still same problem with a flex fan, so i removed ac condenser still same problem, so i put an electric fan in front of the radiator along with the flex fan and still same problems, its a carbd car any help would be nice, im about to tear the engine apart and put new head bolts and gaskets on it to see if that fixxes it any help would be great. oh yeah it has new thermostat, hoses and water pump.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
you cant put the fan it front, its designed to pull air, when you driving ,air is fighting your fan which is trying to push air out, so put it back the other way (inside) that way your fan will assist the incoming air instead of fighting it.

Now you can put a fan on the out side but it needs to be a pusher style fan.

I know you were having an issue with your car over heating when you fan was inside, but i have no idea why, I'm just giving you this info because your making it worse..

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
you cant put the fan it front, its designed to pull air, when you driving ,air is fighting your fan which is trying to push air out, so put it back the other way (inside) that way your fan will assist the incoming air instead of fighting it.

Now you can put a fan on the out side but it needs to be a pusher style fan.

I know you were having an issue with your car over heating when you fan was inside, but i have no idea why, I'm just giving you this info because your making it worse..
just change polarities? :dunno

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Head gasket blew and exhaust is getting into your radiator. Take off the cap, let engine idle and see if its bubbling or if it smells like exhaust. Sometimes if you dont have the heads milled and they are a little warped still the gasket may blow with just one overheat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a pusher style fan so yeah it can go in front, the heads were pressure checked before installation by a machine shop here in my town, and were supposed to be fine no cracks warps etc... thankyou guys for your post i will let ya know what happens after i change the head gaskets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yeah and the elect fan was installed to help with the overheating problem at red lights and such, if your driving it doesnt overheat amd the fan doesnt have to come on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
have you checked to make sure you don't have an air pocket in the coolant/heat system? I have been running into a LOT of issues with freeze plugs and they leak a little water as I drive creating an air pocket in the system. As soon as its cool enough to open the radiator its full, so i run the heater on vent full blast when the car is at operating temp and fill it the rest of the way up. There is also a bleeder valve on top of the thermostat... Just asking because it doesn't sound like the fan has much to do with the issue you described.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mines an old school build no bleeder on thermostat brand new freeze plugs, as since te engine has been fully rebuilt ran fing for 3 months or so overheated once, because elect fan control module i believe it might be blown head gaket alowing exhaust heat into water system as car is fine while driving but get caught at a train, and it rises in temp pretty fast, get moving again and it fine, anymore advice please, im about to redo the head gaskets since heads were checked thouroughly and said to be perfect no cracks warps and had them resurfaced. gt40 heads not the gt40p heads. i think head gaskets what you think? no water in oil or vice versa, but exhaust into water sytem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts