Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again. Yesterday it was recommended to me that in order to improve the sound of my v6 i needed to purchase mac longtube headers, remove my catylitic converters, and add an x-pipe. My question is this, if I remove the cats how do I compensate for the loss of back pressure.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
i say different on that setup....agree with the longtubes, i say if u need to do something to the cats then get high flow dont remove em, and get an hpipe instead of xpipe it will be a lil bit deeper of a sound...then u didnt mention mufflers but i say flowmaster 40s

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i say different on that setup....agree with the longtubes, i say if u need to do something to the cats then get high flow dont remove em, and get an hpipe instead of xpipe it will be a lil bit deeper of a sound...then u didnt mention mufflers but i say flowmaster 40s
Agree but disagree. Yes to high flows, I said that to him yesterday. X pipe will give it a raspier sound, which I like in my opinion. Flows could be yes or no, just depends on his preference.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
:lol you don't

if you get restrictive mufflers like flowmasters you wont notice much, the upper power out ways the loss of lower end

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
with the longtubes ur obviously gonna have to relocate the cats tho if u decide to keep em
FALSE, you just need a catted SHORTY h-pipe...which MAC no longer makes. But if you buy the off road h-pipe and 2 high-flow cats you can have a shop fab you up a shorty catted h-pipe. It not that the cats are getting relocated.....the mid pipe just changes.

If you are concerned with backpressure, use 2.25" piping instead of 2.5
....unless you have plans for something big in the future

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
FALSE, you just need a catted SHORTY h-pipe...which MAC no longer makes. But if you buy the off road h-pipe and 2 high-flow cats you can have a shop fab you up a shorty catted h-pipe. It not that the cats are getting relocated.....the mid pipe just changes.

If you are concerned with backpressure, use 2.25" piping instead of 2.5
....unless you have plans for something big in the future
in other words they have to be relocated :D

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
they are littlerly being relocated because the first cats on the stock system are right were the Collectors are for the lt's there for they have to be relocated further back.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
yeah but with high-flow cats you are REMOVING the first set of cats anyway. The second cats stay put...even with a CATTED SHORTY h-pipe. I have one, i know what it looked like before and currently.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
with the longtubes ur obviously gonna have to relocate the cats tho if u decide to keep em
yeah but with high-flow cats you are REMOVING the first set of cats anyway. The second cats stay put...even with a CATTED SHORTY h-pipe. I have one, i know what it looked like before and currently.

im talking that they need to be moved if u keep the old ones. if ur getting new ones then ur just gonna put the new ones in a different spot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts