Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
UNnaturally Aspirated
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hope all of you had a nice holiday, I am planning on straight piping my 2007 v6 tomorrow and have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer:
1: what wil I need to do with the O2 sensors since I will have no cats?
2: are there any O2 sensor eliminators for the s197?
3: what are some possible issues I might encounter?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
It'll be bout tree fiddy
3,429 Posts
Another one from personal experience, Kawi:
My buddy had his old 06 4.0 straight piped and it sounded like sex at idle, but at WOT I would take a honda civic with a fart can over a 4.0 mustang with straight pipes.

Just me throwing in my $0.02. But, to each his own.

As for answering your questions! Eliminating the O2 sensors is not a problem. It will not affect how the car runs in any way, shape, or form. But, it will throw a CEL (check engine light) and you won't be able to tell from then on if there are any real issues that are trying to light up your dash because the CEL will already be on due to you not having your O2 sensors.

To take care of that particular problem, you will need to get a tuner from the vendor of your choice (BAMA via americanmuscle.com is widely used. I've had personal experience with BAMA and they are very prompt with their customer service and I never had bad luck with their tunes) and just make sure to mention that you have no catalytic converters on the car and they will write your tune accordingly. Once you load in that tune, the CEL will be off and your pony will have a bit of extra pep in its step!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I second what he said, this past year I went to s carshow and in front of me was a v6 mustang, and honestly it sounded absolutely horrible.

If you want a good sounding v6 my opinion is gonna go with a set of pypes true duals, with the mufflers before the axle. My father has that on his 2010 and it sounds the best a v6 can imo, also the kit still has the cats in place. Imo don't remove the cats

·
It'll be bout tree fiddy
3,429 Posts
one of the best sounding 4.0's i've ever heard had long tube headers, a mac prochamber midpipe, and some custom piping back to some 3" tips.

True dual set up, of course.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Please use cats and mufflers on your v6... or at least cats. It'll sound like a [email protected]#% weedwhacker if you don't. Best v6 setup IMO is longtube headers, mac prochamber, mac flowpaths and 3.5" tips

·
UNnaturally Aspirated
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely keeping the cats in, how do you guys think running straight pipes from the cats back will sound?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
I assume maybe you want to save a little money by straight piping the car. I wouldnt do it man I would get on YouTube or find a similar car that sounds good to you and run that setup. If youve heard one straight piped and like it then go for it, but if not I would look into something else

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Honestly, still like crap. let me show you the set of pypes I'm talking about

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-midmuffler-truedual-catback-0510v6.html

They even have a video of how it sounds

·
Regular
1,237 Posts
Please don't do it. I'm almost positive you will regret it. I had straight pipes (but with an h pipe) and it sounded pretty horrible, a gross, scattered tone. I had my exhaust redone with mufflers less than 2 months after. I know I have a 3.8 but they sound the same pretty much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts