Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way to my girlfriends house and the last corner to her house, a wide swooping corner, I took a little fast, well about halfway thru the corner, the rear went bang bang bang bang bang, I slowed down, and for rest of the way I felt some shaking. I looked under the car and couldn't see anything. Anyone know what happen? Still have to drive home, and I have to get a highway for 25 miles and afraid something will happen. HELP!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
you look at the upper control arms? torque boxes?
maybe something inside the diff broke

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are the torque boxes on my car?

·
Registered
784 Posts
shaking i am gonna say rear end went do you have a jack and able to jack up the rear end and try spinning it

did it feel like it changed with speed
like a chunking hard to move the car or did the engine kinda drive real easy

could be broken axle
broken ring and pinion
posy let loose
torque boxes i am gonna say prob not
possible bushing failure

the torque boxes are the connection from the body of the car to the rear control arms

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was still able to drive it, it still accelerated, could it be a bad u-joint?

·
Registered
784 Posts
could be but basicly i would not drive it home any of the possible problems could go catastrophic

try putting it in nuetral and try rolling the car see it it will roll easily or if it rolls a little and locks up

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put it in neutral and it rolls fine, no weird sounds

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so, I jacked it up, found nothing that looked busted, so I took it for a little drive around their neighborhood. Went around the same corner, couldn't get it to recreate the sound. BUT as I pulled in their driveway, clicking and squiling started coming from the rear end. From what I could make of it, it sounds like I thru out a bearing in the diff -.-

·
Registered
784 Posts
very possible you killed a wheel bearing wont make noise all the time on the side the noise is coming from with the car jacked up and supported try moving the wheel up and down by hand to see if there is play between the axle and the housing

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Drain the fluid in the rear. Remove the cover and check your ring gear bolts.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Drain the fluid in the rear. Remove the cover and check your ring gear bolts.
what this guy said - if it went bang bang bang, it's probably your diff. - hope it isn't bad.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mi e backed out on me and hit the housing and bent a few and sheered one off and it launched my diff and gears. I'd look at it right away.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I doubt you " threw a bearing" unless you were WOT going into that corner sideways with the rear tires on fire. If you Diff were gone it would not be intermintent it would just be gone and the car would be not movable gears are not forgivable or axles once they break the party stops. Sounds more like a suspension issue especially since you were rolling into the corner when it happened. Did check the driveshaft and u joints? esured that there was no play in the sahft and that all 4 bolts were present and tight?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
You install the LCA's yourself, using the same bolts with no new locktite? Perhaps the bolt backed out a bit or something happened there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Checked my suspension and everything looks fine, a little play in the driveshaft nothing major, all bolts are present, LCA we professionally installed with with all new bolts, correct size and grade. I let my car coast back a little and I would catch and go, catch and go, I could also hear clicking and what sounds like bearings popping and hitting inside the housing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts