Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll i dont know much so help please... well i had a recent post about what i should do and many said get a tuner... and so i asked my friends brother (who knows his stuff pretty well...) about getting one and he said "preset" one would mess up car....? true? and that a custom one would be WAY expenses... help?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
You can usually find a used tuner for $200 to $250, and then you can update it to the current version on the manufacture's website. DiabloSport, SCT, and Sniper are the popular ones. Check around your area to see which one your shops use in case you want a dyno tune in the future. The tuners usually will come with "canned" or "preset" tunes for 93 octane and won't mess up your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he said like tune from shop + price of the tuner wouldnt be worth it.... and the preset ones dont work well and hurts car... idk

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
lol i think most of the guys on this forum will agree with me on this but a tuner is one of the first things you should get. It'll read and clear engine codes, correct your speedo for different gear ratios or tires, let you adjust timing and parameters of the ECU, not to mention give you a few more horses if you change to 93 octane.

A dyno tune in my area will run about $150. The canned tunes are on the conservative side but do work well.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
lol i think most of the guys on this forum will agree with me on this but a tuner is one of the first things you should get. It'll read and clear engine codes, correct your speedo for different gear ratios or tires, let you adjust timing and parameters of the ECU, not to mention give you a few more horses if you change to 93 octane.

A dyno tune in my area will run about $150. The canned tunes are on the conservative side but do work well.
+1

A custom tune on a stock car is not worth it because you will probably be doing more modifications in the future that will need to be compensated with by changing the tune with your tuner. The canned tunes will not hurt your car.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I have been running a canned tune on mine with no problems. I know it helped. I had my car dynoed, and with the canned tune, and a cat back I put down 287HP/298TQ. Cars runs great. Some hesitation until it gets to operating temp though.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Any bolt on is fine with a canned tune. When you start adding power adders; that's when a dyno tune is a must.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Like my son said, once you start getting in to power adders (turbo, N2O, SC's) then you a canned tune can do damage to your car. You must have them dyno tuned after that. Canned tunes will be fine for a bolt on car. If you want to squeeze even more power out of your bolt on car with tuner, you can check somewhere like Trick Tunes. They can give you a much more vehicle specific tune then your canned tune, and will also work with you as you upgrade your vehicle.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
ok so if I did decide to add on like cats, CAI, gears after tuner ..... canned = good , custom = no good...?
don't add cats. You don't want to add cats. You have 6 as it is.

A tune is just their to bring all the mods you have to work together properly. Canned tunes are good, and custom tunes are good as well. It all depends on the tuner.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wait a sec. I really apologize for kinda thread jackin here but, I was researching about the KB 2.1L and I was told that kit comes with a tune that should be good enough and "LEFTY" just said I would need a dyno tune for any power adders?? I am super confused!

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
If you are going to spend the money on a tuner then spend the extra 100 or so bucks for an email tune. It will be leaps and bounds better than a canned tune. And yes, a tuner is worth it.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Americanmuscle.com is the best place to get a tuner. After u order your tuner they'll set up a time for u to talk with a consultant and he'll get u a custom tune for your car. Then if u add more mods just email them and they'll send u a different tune. They have good prices and custom tunes for life. That's where I'm getting my SCT x3 from

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Wait a sec. I really apologize for kinda thread jackin here but, I was researching about the KB 2.1L and I was told that kit comes with a tune that should be good enough and "LEFTY" just said I would need a dyno tune for any power adders?? I am super confused!
I mean sure; you can put an e-mailed tune on a car with a power adder. But I can guarantee you won't make it very long. By long I mean a few hours/days. ;)

Tuner's don't have enough data to play with to change the air/fuel ratio around with just an e-mail/canned tune.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It does come with a tune,my car ran fine with the chip they sent. the tunes are conservative. I went with a custom tune only because of my cams and maf. Joe at Trick Tuners does a fine job at custom e-mail tunes

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I mean sure; you can put an e-mailed tune on a car with a power adder. But I can guarantee you won't make it very long. By long I mean a few hours/days. ;)

Tuner's don't have enough data to play with to change the air/fuel ratio around with just an e-mail/canned tune.
Totaly disagree, even though a wide band is required for any power adder, they use the same data a dyno tune does.(refering to custom e-mail tunes,not "canned")

My car has been running one for over a year and I am alway's "on it" no problems

·
Registered
552 Posts
now my ses light is on and i checked at autozone, its the filler neck on my gas tank, common problem with the mustang. Does that problem effect gas milage or anything with the engine, cause harm to the car? Or the lights on because it just wont pass emmissions tests?

I plan to just get a tuner and get rid of that code if it doesnt effect the performance or wellbeing of the car. Why repair it?

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
filler neck?! wtf. y would u ever have to replace ur filler neck?? its just a tube right haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts