Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 GT, and tonight when I went to do a donut in my car the rear didn't really break loose, and I thought it may have been just one tire spinning. Well right after this, I pulled up to a stop, shameful of my weak a$$ performance, and something in the front of my car started whining and groaning really loud. When I turned the wheel it got a lot louder. I drove home through town around 30 mph and the groaning and moaning somewhat went away. But when I decelerate in gear coming up to a stop it gets louder and louder as i slow down below 10 mph. If im not in gear it doesn't really make the sound that loud. I know the trac lok needs to be rebuilt and I have new gears and a rebuild kit coming but the sound isn't coming from the rear end, it comes from the front. I have no idea what it is, so any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe power steering pump?? Check the fluid and see if its low.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the fluid and its not low. when it first happened, it was really loud when i turned the wheel. I started driving home, and by the time i got back it mostly only made the sound when driving slowly and decelerating in gear, the sound almost goes away if it isnt in gear when declerating but i can still hear it faintly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does it get worse when you turn? Could be a wheel bearing....hard to trouble shoot when you can't hear it. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesnt get worse when i turn... the pitch of the sound changes depending on how fast im going. it gets loudest when im decelerating in first gear from like 10mph to zero. This happened right after i tried to whip a donut. I just installed a short throw shifter yesterday and the tranny seems to make a little more sound but, from what ive read, thats normal after shifter installs. I'm stumped right now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm sure some more guys will chime in.

·
Registered
470 Posts
thats your car telling you it likes frosted donuts instead of chocolate donuts... lol i dunno but i only do donuts in the snow cuz im scared of snapping and breaking things on dry pavement our suspensions and parts are getting so old now >.< And even doing it on snow i still managed to snap my sway bar =/ But i dunno it maybe some old bushings whining and moaning since u moved them old basterds around and they are slowly whining back into place

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is anything different in the way your clutch feels or when you shift gears? Or can you tell where its coming from outside of the car with it idling?

·
Registered
143 Posts
sounds like a wheel bearing to me. mine has started doing it also. take you some time and fix them all and do it right. you should be able to do all of them in an hour or two

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha no doubt, I dont drive my car in the winter, so snownuts aint happenin. I got brand new tires on back and it probably wasnt a good idea to try and break em loose cause i definitely fuxed somethin up. Its not a bushing groan, it sounds like something related to the drivetrain. Possibly clutch related (TOB), or tranny or maybe one of the accesories spinning on the front.... not really sure yet. I only drove it for like ten minutes after it started. Ill drive it again tomorrow after work and hopefully can get some more details.

Just took it out of storage last week, and I'm already breakin chit... might be an expensive summer

Edit* Wich88, the clutch seemed to feel normal, and tranny shifted fine, but like I said I just installed the mgw short throw and i can definitely hear the tranny more. I

·
Registered
508 Posts
Every summer is expensive......cause if you aren't fixing it, your modding it! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True story. Its already been an expensive week with all of the mods i've ordered :D Hopefully this doesnt drain the rest of my funds.

·
Registered
470 Posts
dont end up like me with a clutch job which turns into a new exhaust and a new driveshaft and a new clutch cable and a new clutch fork and a new short shifter ok well you get the idea and my wallet is almost empy >.< loving a car worth modding can be expensive.. real expensive.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Have you put the front end up on some stands and inspected anything yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't put it on a lift yet, but wednesday im installing my x-pipe and subframe connectors. I didn't drive my car for two days and when I went to start it, it didn't make the noise any more... The tranny still seems to make a little noise, but maybe I'm just not used to the new sounds from the MGW. Either way I'm going to change fluids in the tranny and do some front end inspecting while I'm installing the other parts. I'm also curious about another sound im hearing. When i go over speed bumps or right when I come to a complete stop there is a clunk sound coming from my front right suspension. It seems to happen when the front suspension is under a load from slowing down, but then when I accelerate from a stop it makes the clunk sound again after the load is taken off the front. Any ideas what this could be? This is my first mustang and I'm really anal about different sounds my cars make so hopefully I can figure them all out and get them fixed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts