Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,,,
so, i have a '67 stang. I recently purchased a 2001 v6 wrecked donor. My plan is to throw engine, trans, harness on the 67. Now, ive been trying to locate a post or thread about something symilar to what im trying to do, but no luck.

Heres what i want to do...

I have a turbo, wastegate, bov, intercooler and piping for a turbo setup on the 67 (with 01 stuff), now, im trying to get rid of all the smog and emission regulation crap. The 67 will nerver be somegged (state of California), so i dont really need all that crap. And whats the easiest way to make the turbo setup?

from 5.0s ive read a couple threads, but the EEC is way different, from the 88-93 gen to the '01 V6..
If you guys can give me some pointers on how to best achieve my project or guide me with some links of something that i can read to go into that direction.
Im not lazy on my research, im just trying to come accross the right information.

HARNESS (what to avoid and what to leave)
is it better to completely make the transplant or create a hybrid (mix the two)

ECU, do i need some kind of chip or can i pull it off with the stock ECU? (turbo wise)

TIMING: whats the best route? ive read about spout out on the 5.0s, but how would i gou around it on the V6?

FUEL: i have a fuel pressure regulator, but what about injectores, fuel pump? Need to upgrade?

by the way, its an automatic V6..

Thanks a lot guys, any help will be highly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
turbo-wise, I would use the stock headers, switch them around so they are facing forward. See if you have enough room to make this happen, if so go with that, if not then cut and reweld to make them fit. Then get a crossover made that feeds the turbo.

As for harness, just transplant I think. Except the interior like the dome lights and that sort of stuff you can make work.

Timing and all that stuff will be through the computer and sensors. Youll need to get it dynod after the turbo is on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turbo-wise, I would use the stock headers, switch them around so they are facing forward. See if you have enough room to make this happen, if so go with that, if not then cut and reweld to make them fit. Then get a crossover made that feeds the turbo.

As for harness, just transplant I think. Except the interior like the dome lights and that sort of stuff you can make work.

Timing and all that stuff will be through the computer and sensors. Youll need to get it dynod after the turbo is on.
Ethan! thanks for the reply!
any idea or know of some old links for deleting wiring harness plugs, or getting rid of emission controlled stuff on the '01 v6? thanks man!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Emissions =egr delete,cats delete,egr delete tune, turn of o2 sensors,

03cristian

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The only emission controlled stuff you will be getting rid of will be the EGR system (EGR valve, EGR pressure sensor, EGR vacuum pump, EGR exhaust tube) and the sensors that would go to those. You could just leave them on the harness, and just leave them unplugged.

For making the turbo kit most people will do as Ethan 98 said. For the tuning you can get a tuner that plugs into the OBDII port and then tunes the ECU for the turbo.

For a basic kit looking to run 8-9 psi or roughly 300rwhp most people will use 39lb or 42lb injectors, a 255lph or 310lph fuel pump, and a lightning 90mm MAF. You will end up probably extending your O2 sensors forward so that you can tune the car. You should also plug in an extra O2 sensor bung somewhere in your turbo piping (typically in the turbo outlet exhaust tube) for a wideband gauge to further help in datalogging and tuning.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
The 96-98 V6 mustang manifolds actually flow better than your stock manifolds. and the 96-98's have the 02 bung in the manifold, so it would be less welding etc. You will also want to swap a 99-00 lower intake or delete the IMRC's in your current lower intake. It would also be a good idea to do a windstar intake swap. It would just be better to swap EVERYTHING over then delete what you aren't going to be using. Just do you're research and you will figure it out.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You dont want to turn all your o2's off as they tell your computer how your car is running. Just turn the back ones off with a handheld. And yes, you can tune with a handheld, but if you are boosting and want your motor to make a little power while also lasting a while, you will want a dyno tune.

As for getting rid of certain wires, I am not too sure. I am pretty sure your car has PATS, Passive AntiTheft System, and you'll want all of those components or to get it tuned out of the computer. PATS will allow your car to crank, but kill power to your fuel pump.

When you take off your egr and all the unnecessary emissions, make sure you dont leave any vacuum or boost leaks!

This sounds like a pretty cool project! No one will ever suspect this in an old mustang.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now this is what im talking about!!
Great info to start somewhere guys!! thanks a lot!!
so far this is what i have:
-firts cleaning a little around the stuff i wont be using..
A/C delete kit. (found one online)
- EGR blockoff plate
- I read that i can use a Blow through maf like the SCT Big air 2800 of BA3000
-I can get a "map" of presetup for turbo on a SCT X3
-for the fuel pump, i read about the one that the '04 focus SVT uses, which if im not mistaken is a 255lph,, any other that you might recommend?
- i also read about the 39# or 42# injectors.. where can i get them? tryied summitracing but havnt done research on whats compatible with the '01V6
-and also need to know who sells the flanges for the V6, im a fabricator, so im not that concerned with clearances or piping, im going to build everything from stainless. and speaking about that, what size would you guys recommend for header primarys? 1 1/2"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 96-98 V6 mustang manifolds actually flow better than your stock manifolds. and the 96-98's have the 02 bung in the manifold, so it would be less welding etc. You will also want to swap a 99-00 lower intake or delete the IMRC's in your current lower intake. It would also be a good idea to do a windstar intake swap. It would just be better to swap EVERYTHING over then delete what you aren't going to be using. Just do you're research and you will figure it out.
Excellent. So IMRC delete, im assuming just delete it from the ecu, if so, do they just stay oppened?
now, the swap with the windstar sounds interesting, what year windstar should i be in the hunt for? is it a direct replacement or some adaptation needs to be done? thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I used 255 walbro I picked up for 70 bucks and then cobra 39#ers. I would just use what stock size primaries are. Maybe check jegs?? and for the crossover I had 2.5 inch piping.

I would really really stress getting it dynod for a good tune with all the work you will have in this thing. Use the preset map for getting the car to the dyno if you dont want to trailer it.

What turbo are you going with? I would suggest a good quality 60mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You dont want to turn all your o2's off as they tell your computer how your car is running. Just turn the back ones off with a handheld. And yes, you can tune with a handheld, but if you are boosting and want your motor to make a little power while also lasting a while, you will want a dyno tune.

As for getting rid of certain wires, I am not too sure. I am pretty sure your car has PATS, Passive AntiTheft System, and you'll want all of those components or to get it tuned out of the computer. PATS will allow your car to crank, but kill power to your fuel pump.

When you take off your egr and all the unnecessary emissions, make sure you dont leave any vacuum or boost leaks!

This sounds like a pretty cool project! No one will ever suspect this in an old mustang.
Ill do some research in how to get rid of PATS too.. and for the leaks, i got that,, been there done that and wha a pain in the asset!! :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
lol yea PATS is a pain in the asset too. You can go to ford and have the dealership do it, which is most expensive, and then you can order a mail-order tune to tune it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used 255 walbro I picked up for 70 bucks and then cobra 39#ers. I would just use what stock size primaries are. Maybe check jegs?? and for the crossover I had 2.5 inch piping.

I would really really stress getting it dynod for a good tune with all the work you will have in this thing. Use the preset map for getting the car to the dyno if you dont want to trailer it.

What turbo are you going with? I would suggest a good quality 60mm
Yeah, on the research i did i found a lot of people mentioning walbro, also saw this post where someone recommended a pump from oreylis (or however your write it) whic is this one Airtex E2386 - Electric Fuel Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts

they mentioned its made by walbro, any ideas on this?
so the regular 39ers from a cobra will fit my V6? nice! :)

i also found this website, which makes turbo kits for V6stangs and they sell the SCT Xcal with the turbo tune for it.. Your insight on that? Thanks a lot again!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What company makes the kits? If it is the one I think, Andy owns it and from what I have read he is really good and does good work. Pretty fair prices too. Clean welds and all that. I got mine from another member on here and the welds were so so, but didnt have any problems with them at all and I think he has a new technique with making them.

I would stay with walbro personally. And the cobra injectors are the way to go, I am not sure the fuel style on your year, so you may or may not need little adaptor plugs. Easy fix.

I put a chinese 67mm on my old setup for a little and it spooled it pretty well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What company makes the kits? If it is the one I think, Andy owns it and from what I have read he is really good and does good work. Pretty fair prices too. Clean welds and all that. I got mine from another member on here and the welds were so so, but didnt have any problems with them at all and I think he has a new technique with making them.

I would stay with walbro personally. And the cobra injectors are the way to go, I am not sure the fuel style on your year, so you may or may not need little adaptor plugs. Easy fix.

I put a chinese 67mm on my old setup for a little and it spooled it pretty well.
Its tmaturbo.com i saw a couple kits they have here and they are the ones showing all this things im looking into.
About the pump, i read on that forum that this airtex pump is made by walbro.. Where did you get yours?
i found some injectors on ebay for an '04 cobra.. 39#ers, ill look into the swap for those injectors then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what kind of power are you looking to make ?
i dont have a target hp in mind, i just want to make a build up around 10 pounds and leave it alone. Im looking to have this as a daily driver (thats why all the new stuff into an old car). Pretty much im working around that psi, so everything to easily support that :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your putting a V6 in a 67 mustang ?

I have no problems with building a V6. But please dont **** up a 67 mustang with this ****
**** it up? thats a nice way to put it.. All you see around is straight 6's, 289's, 302's and very few 5.0's.. Some rare 460's and of course shelbys with 427, 428 beasts... got this coupe at a cheap price, im looking for a cool daily driver so this is my goal. Im currently working on my 67 econoline van (swapped a 460 and im working on a 175shot of nos) van is caged, tubed, and other goodies. Working on my brothers 66 econoline pickup with a 5.0 turbo as well, got a 72 dodge dart with a V8... So i wouldnt see the 67mustang project with a V6 turbo a **** up :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts