Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to upgrade to the Ford Racing 4.10 gears. I have never broke in to the rear end of a mustang before. With the installation kit is reasonably easy to do by myself? Do I need in special tools? I think I might be getting over my head if I do it myself.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
its not something you should just jump into if you havent ever seen it done or honestly know what your doing. You need a press, feeler gauges some gear paint. I would take it to a shop or get somebody to help you that has run threw it before. Im not questioning your mechanical abilities just giving out my .02 cents.

·
Registered
508 Posts
its not something you should just jump into if you havent ever seen it done or honestly know what your doing. You need a press, feeler gauges some gear paint. I would take it to a shop or get somebody to help you that has run threw it before. Im not questioning your mechanical abilities just giving out my .02 cents.
I agree, I've seen it done a handful of times and I'm about to pay someone else to install my 3.73 gears! If its not done right you could ruin a set of brand new gears. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Once I looked throught the walk through link provided I decided to let the shop handle it...lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
A gear change is 1 of the most noticeable upgrades you can do. It's going to feel like a totally different car.:yes

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
judging by the sig, looks like personal experience speaking there :D my car has always had crummy all season radials to help the rear end last as long as it has. as my car sits, it needs a tune, clutch, and better tires. im sure the rear end will be soon to go after that.

to the op - i was able to spin 4th gear from a roll in the rain on my all season 245's before swapping to my pi intake/cams/longtubes/etc, and procharger. sometimes i feel like 4.10s are just stupid dangerous because of the torque multiplication. almost killed myself multiple times because of the rear end coming loose. im sure ill have trouble once my current setup gets tuned.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I busted the diff in my old 97gt that I had after I got 4.10s...with this one I decided to upgrade everything so that I have 0 problems with it. Plus im about to install something that will significantly increase hp/tq so I knew at the time I would be needing the upgraded rear end.

I always tell everyone that asks me for my opinion that they should upgrade the axles as well. I know it cost more but the amount of tq that your able to handle after the upgrade is well worth the 500 bucks or so for the axles and the diff. just how I feel though :dunno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts