Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I have another problem with this car now. It started a couple days ago. I noticed under steady throttle that it would miss once. Well its been getting progressively worse.

Its intermittent though. Sometimes it runs just fine, then all the sudden it will miss once, maybe twice, then be fine for a few mins and do it again.

Tonight I left my mothers headed home and got in it a good bit. Ran to redline in 2nd gear. Well after that is when it started getting bad and today I could barely drive it home. It was missing, bucking, jerking, and all manner of crazy.

I could only manage about 45mph out of it.

It has the following new parts due to another problem:

air filter
fuel filter
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
dizzy
coil
alternator
battery
Timing set, re-set, and double checked at 12*
Maf cleaned
TPS cleaned
EGR checked for operation
Searched for a vacuum leak to no avail

Please please please help me guys. I just started back to class yesterday, and I really need help figuring this out!!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Logan

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Check your intake piping. Sometimes it can come loos and let in unmetered air. Also make sure none of your wires are resting on the headers

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Oh and it's a distributor not a 'dizzy'. I know I know that poor Z key never gets used

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Nope bugs the **** out of me too. I almost went on a rant but it was too much effort

·
Registered
247 Posts
Run the EEC 1V tests. Do all three cylinder balance tests. Fuel pressure check. Copper plugs? Autolite or Motorcraft? Post results.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Motocraft plugs. The ones recommended in the Haynes manual. So today I took the TFI in to be checked and it failed 3 tests. Got a new one swapped it out. Problem still there.

It was dark so I decided to check for arcing in the engine bay and noticed a new problem. After only 2-3 mins of running the car I noticed the drivers side header was getting red hot. The passenger side was not!

This car sat for 4 years only having 1000 miles put on it in that time. Whats the chances I have a clogged cat causing this issue?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Most likely too rich or timing. Check your injectors to verify you don't have one stuck open. If you know anyone with a hand held pyrometer (that thing that takes temp by pointing the red laser dot at it) use that upon startup to check for a relative balance in temp across the side. That will help narrow down an individual problem spot. If it's the whole side, maybe a fuel rail issue??? Also check your timing. Hopefully you don't have a spun balancer or anything giving you a false reading. You can always use a piston stop to find top dead center to check that.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
How did you clean the TPS ? Or did you mean to say IAC ?

·
He of Long Wind
2,172 Posts
As I understand it, a glowing header is the result of fuel burning (or continuing to burn) while inside the header. This is either caused by slow timing - which doesn't allow the fuel charge enough time to burn while inside the cylinder, or a rich condition where there is too much fuel to burn with the given cycle time and available oxygen (so the remainder of the fuel charge continues to burn inside the header). Since this is only happening on one side, it's probably safe to assume it's not timing related.

First, I would pull those four spark plugs and inspect. If they're black, then that confirms the rich condition. If all four on that side are black ... then look for something that affects all four of those cylinders (fuel rail, clogged cat - if you're running dual cats, etc.) But since the problem has been gradual, I would suspect a single cylinder misfire. If you find just one plug is black, then you probably have a bad wire or plug (I know they're new - but new parts fail too). Exchange that wire with one from the other side of the motor. If the problem moves from one side to the other - you know it's the wire. If that doesn't work, move that plug from one side to the other.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked again today and got codes:

DTC211
DTC212

So Looks like I need another new DISTRIBUTOR. Good thing it has a lifetime warantee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts