Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I own a 2004 V6 and want to get a true dual exhaust put in. Now I know I could go on American Muscle, buy the midpipe, buy the exhaust system and pay for the install. That would put me at, lets say, probably 600-700 for just the whole setup minus the install. Now, I'm not really ready to spend that much for my exhaust and I keep reading about getting a shop to custom make my exhaust for me. Can someone clarify this for me?

What would I need to purchase? Both the midpipe and the two mufflers? Just the mufflers and some cats? Hows the sound on a custom setup? What exactly are they doing and what should I bring in to have them attach/weld? Any ideas for my bumper? Anymore info would be great.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The custom setup is the cheapest way to go. The shop can make you a mid pipe if you want one or you can bring in one that you bought elsewhere its your choice. You can buy the mufflers off the internet but odds are the shop will have the mufflers you want there. you wont need to bring in any cats the stock ones can stay on. also chrome tips look good. as far as the bumper goes you can get a gt bumper if you dont like the look of the duals coming out underneath the 6 bumper but its all preference. only thing i would reccomend against is the pypes mid pipe (it sounds like crap) and a custom setup sounds pretty much the same as any other setup/kit.

one helpful tip next time use the search box because exhaust is one of the most commonly discussed things on here. Welcome to the forums :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I searched but not too extensively, thats my bad. I jumped the gun.

Alright, so thanks for the help though, thats some really useful info. I'll keep all of that in mind. I guess it would just be easier to get everything custom then, yeah? Plus it'll save me some money I'd assume. Any ideas as to how much that would run me?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
636 Posts
TK 7995 MAC Mustang V6 Cat Back Exhaust

Buy, free shipping, and have a shop install. Enjoy. Assuming a shop would charge $50-100 to basically just cut the Y pipe and weld the catback right in. You really dont even need a mid pipe. Even then, the shop really shouldnt charge too much extra just to weld a pipe between the two factory pipes to make an H pipe.

Your total should be about $400-450ish.

If you dont like MAC mufflers there are other companies that sell catbacks for different mufflers. I love my MACs though.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
though this topic has been talked about like crazy in the past week...just buy the mufflers you like (youtube it)...pick up a mid-pipe or have the exhuast make one...thats it...tubes out the back or dump it...whatever you like

my set-up was just under $230
Yeah it seems this goes through spurts were everyone asks about it and then for like a couple weeks no one asks.

But deff. for us sixxers a custom exhaust is the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Well I'd say the cheapest way to go is to get the h pipe adapter from american muscle and use GT catback takeoffs. Then if you want you can put different mufflers in there. But personally I like mine, so I don't really feel a need to change them. Its all preference though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Get a pipe bender, do it yourself. :p

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Get a pipe bender, do it yourself. :p
Good idea and all but think about it. Buying a pipe bender, then buying all the piping, the mufflers, the tips and then buying the hardware and maybe having to buy a welder if he doesnt use clamps. Add all that up and it will be more than just going to a shop and getting it done.

It would be nice but since he is probably only going to do it once so no point in spending all that money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate the help! I will take all of it into consideration.

Also, sorry, I know it must be annoying to have people post about the same thing all the time. Maybe make a topic called, "Exhaust Questions" and sticky it because he current one is for video clips only. So maybe an Exhaust Questions sticky would get rid of the annoyance of having tons of topics about it?

Just a thought.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts