Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into really detailing my car more. What I'd like is a list of everything I need. I know the basics, but I want to go over the top an make it beautiful. Mind you my car is all black, so I really want it to look great.

Oh an this is all by hand no D/A

Wash mit (lamb skin?)
Car wash (good brand)
Clay bar
Wax

Anything else?

I also at one time had something call P21 I think it was. It was an all around cleaner. Does anyone know of it?

Also I need something to clean my engine bay with. It's never been cleaned since it rolled off the line back in '91. An what's the best way to go about cleaning it and what not

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Carpro Wool Wash mitt is a good one.
Chemical Guys Glossworkz or Citrus Wash and Gloss are good soaps.
So is Duragloss #901/902
Just pick up a clay bar from oreilly's or advanced. Meguiars has a kit with clay lube in it and so does Mothers. Either will do just fine.
Whats your budget on wax? Your car is black i'd go with Pete's 53 from Chemical Guys if you can swing it. Very good, long lasting wax that looks great on dark colors.

Use the 2 bucket method. 2 wash buckets with 2 grit guards.

Any all purpose cleaner will help you with engine bay cleaning. Get some nice brushes to agitate it too.

Use sites like
Autoality.com
Chemicalguys.com
Autogeek.net
Detailersdomain.com
Detailersimage.com

If you plan on really getting into this stuff I'd suggest getting a membership to detailersclub.com

50 dollar membership and the prices are ridiculously low. I had saved 68 dollars by time I spent 100 on that site. . . Most stuff is around 50% off (including CG's soaps and waxes).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything I should cover when washing the engine bay? Alternator, plugs? Msd box/distributor

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i have never persnally covered anything in my engine when cleaning it unless I have an open air element on the intake. then i would put a bag on it. After I wash my engine I always get out my blower and blow every bit of water out of everything then I start the car and let it idle for about 5min to help evap any little bit of water left here and there. Never had an issue this way and been doing that to my engines for like 5years

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
I'd cover your alternator and plugs along with your airfilter if it's exposed. Aluminum foil works pretty well.

P.s....go with the mothers clay kit :D

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I'd cover your alternator and plugs along with your airfilter if it's exposed. Aluminum foil works pretty well.

P.s....go with the mothers clay kit :D
Mothers clay is actually the same as Megs clay lol.

+1 to what Vader said. I've never covered anything in mine and it's always been fine. My air filter is under something though.

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
If they are the same price for the kits then heck yeah. I know Megs comes with a nice little clay box but no towel. Just clay the clay box and the clay lube.
I think they are. I've never payed attention since claying is such a neccesity. And I don't like the claybox lol. I keep my open clay in a ziplock bag with a little qd.

:lol.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I think they are. I've never payed attention since claying is such a neccesity. And I don't like the claybox lol. I keep my open clay in a ziplock bag with a little qd.
I don't let my clay touch anything but the box, the car and my hands. The box keeps it out of the way in a box. If drop my QD bottle or a mf or something the clay won't pick up whatever is left on that stuff. Even if you don't use Megs clay box I will always have some sort of container for it.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Ultima waterless wash + is 5.5 gallons for 15 bucks on autoality. It is used for waterless wash, rinseless wash, quick detailer, clay lube. And it won't strip wax. The p21s waterless wash will strip your wax. Trust me if you want to get into detailing ultima waterless wash + concentrate will save you loads of money, and its amazing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Need to get a DA man! Make your black super dark and deep!

·
The Mustang & I are one!
144 Posts
You don't need to buy a expensive wash mit, but something that is not cheap either. The ones at Advance Auto Parts are just fine. This goes for the dry towels as well. If you use Opti-Guard then you will not need to hardly dry your car. Taking care of your car part is really on how often you wax your car during the summer, because during the summertime is when the sun eats at your clear coat. Always use a wash solution that have either shampoo and conditioner, or wax. I prefer wax. Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax is what I like to use on my baby.

Try to wax once a month with Meguiars polish and wax products. They are all good. So, just pick the one that fits in your budget. After waxing for the rest of the month, just use the spray wax by Meguiars (not Turtle Wax Ice...horrible! :exactly), to maintain the wax until the next waxing date.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Mothers clay is actually the same as Megs clay lol.

+1 to what Vader said. I've never covered anything in mine and it's always been fine. My air filter is under something though.
The clay material is similar by Megs clay is harder, more of a medium grade clay rather than light. Takes off defects in less passes compared to mothers IME. I like the Megs kit better.

You don't need to buy a expensive wash mit, but something that is not cheap either. The ones at Advance Auto Parts are just fine. This goes for the dry towels as well. If you use Opti-Guard then you will not need to hardly dry your car. Taking care of your car part is really on how often you wax your car during the summer, because during the summertime is when the sun eats at your clear coat. Always use a wash solution that have either shampoo and conditioner, or wax. I prefer wax. Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax is what I like to use on my baby.

Try to wax once a month with Meguiars polish and wax products. They are all good. So, just pick the one that fits in your budget. After waxing for the rest of the month, just use the spray wax by Meguiars (not Turtle Wax Ice...horrible! :exactly), to maintain the wax until the next waxing date.
Im not usually one to bluntly disagree with someone but OTC towels Suck, PERIOD. They dont last, they are linty ect. I would definitely invest in some quality MFs to dry your car. IME cleaning-induced swirl marks are more likely to happen in the drying process rather than the washing because there is more dry friction on the paint. So a very good towel should be used for drying. Mothers towels are decent, but the durability isnt awesome.

Waxes and "conditioners" that are in car soaps are essentially just temporary gloss enhancers, they dont last long and neither does the protection. A quality carnauba wax properly applied should last 4-10 weeks, even in the summer (depending on the wax of course). The most important thing to remember about soap is using the correct dilution ratio, too much soap can/will degrade your wax very quickly.

Wash mitt wise, i agree with shook. Carpro Merino Wool mitt, thats what i use, its super soft, and its not expensive, YES its 20 bucks plus shipping but it will last YEARS, so in the long run its better and cheaper than "Microfiber" OTC mitts. OTC mitts are horrible, but they just arent going to last compared to a wool mitt or quality MF one.

OP. I would seriously consider investing in a DA polisher. Its a small price to pay for the amount of time and work it saves. Polishing by hand is...well, like digging a hole with a spoon, yes, its possible to accomplish something but takes forever and takes a tole on you with inferior results.

Being that your car is black, your defects are going to be alot more apparent, but if you can correct your paint, the finished result will be equally as superior because of the color. Until that point, a good wax will help protect and boost gloss as well as fill in minor swirls and scratches. If you get a store bought wax, id go with Meguiar's Nxt 2.0. But id highly recommend Pete's 53 or Zymol Carbon, both great waxes in the 40-50 dollar range.

Hope this helps!

PS. Autoality.com and DetailersDomain, for the MOST part i can find anything i need between the 2.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts