Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is some question as to my dyno numbers, thats what i get for going in the clubhouse. Anyway, i would like to be accurate in this area to understand my gains.

im not trying to win a prize here, only trying to know what i gained from what mods and post that to be helpful, becuase i know that when i began shopping for mods i always had a hard time finding dyno sheets for mods.

I have had my car dynoed at the same shop everytime and i have had it dynoed with the same mods, months apart from each other and it showed the same numbers. I dont know how much more sure you could be that the shop you were dealing with has a consistent dyno.

anyway here are my last two dynos. what am i to make of the numbers? did i gain 42 or not? becuase the temps seem pretty close. The humidity is different. Is there some more accurate SAE correction to this that i should make and what would the numbers be with this SAE number?

3/11/08 temp 62.41, 29.50 in hq, humidy 23% and STD 1.00, 352.53hp, 332.22tq

1/14/08 temp 61.52, 29.91 in hq, humidy 11%, STD 0.99, 310.07hp, 318.70tq

12/18/08 temp 49.16, 29.74 in-hq, humidity 32% STD .098 296hp, 316tq

I know that the STD number at the end means something as far as converting it, but what does it mean?

Any help for me to understand this would be great, and if there is a converstion i will gladly post more accurate numbers.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
suprised i got no feedback on this in here :)

Anyway in case anyone wants to know the shop that dynoed my car said if i want to know what the sae correction would be its about - 3% so im looking at 343hp. but that also means that sae my old numbers would have been 303hp not 310hp

So im leaving the STD numbers up becuase that is what all my dyno numbers are and it makes it clearer is to what gains my car acheived with what mods, which is the only point of posting these numbers anyway.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
what were the mods you put in to gain the 42 hp? bc if you didnt do any mods, that is a large hp value to attribute to temp and humidity.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ask any (jealous) doubters to pay for your next dyno run in order to prove them right. :D

Not familiar with the disagreement in the clubhouse, but you've done a lot of incremental mods with some serious thought to them, maybe the sceptical are used to seeing the reports on individual mods, not how they interrelate to each other with a "whole greater than the sum" scenario....

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Take it to the track and let fly!!! then post those numbers...they are the ones that count. ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
STD is probably standard deviation, it's a statistics thing for error. those are very high, so it shouldn't be a rounding issue.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
They seem about right, maybe a tad high. The cams were worth maybe 25-30rwhp, then 15 for the LTs, and maybe 8-10 or the delete plates so everything's accounted for. Before your recent string of mods the numbers seems right too.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
ok w/ those mods, seems awwight!:cool:

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what were the mods you put in to gain the 42 hp? bc if you didnt do any mods, that is a large hp value to attribute to temp and humidity.

the cams, kooks catted x, race delete plates, well plus the maganapack cat back system is new but i dont think that adds any hp.

Ask any (jealous) doubters to pay for your next dyno run in order to prove them right. :D

Not familiar with the disagreement in the clubhouse, but you've done a lot of incremental mods with some serious thought to them, maybe the sceptical are used to seeing the reports on individual mods, not how they interrelate to each other with a "whole greater than the sum" scenario....
thanks bro, yea i tried to think it all out.

Take it to the track and let fly!!! then post those numbers...they are the ones that count. ;)
I agree 100% Thats next.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
07 with with some good tires and the driver mod I think you could eaily see 12.5s and lower.

What do you have done in the way of sudpension?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
07 with with some good tires and the driver mod I think you could eaily see 12.5s and lower.

What do you have done in the way of sudpension?
right now just lowering springs from frpp.

which reminds me i meant to throw this out there to you guys! for real road racing that is a huge mistake, the stock shocks cannot handle the stiffer spring and it is actually dangerous!!!! I was at VIR, hit a hill and about lost it, the car bounced around like a car does with really bad shocks. I dont think I have anything broke. Well i might now but, I think it is just the fact that the stock shocks arent strong enough for the racing spring but someone on here might know more. I have to get it fixed before i go back to the race track.

Anyway suspension is next on my list redfire, I have been shopping. Going to get the usual handling stuff. looking at the steeda stage 3 kit i think it was.

and I was going to ask on this forum what to add as far as drag strip?

The guy at SGS told me that with slicks and the right suspension stuff and my current power my car could hit 11s. I just laughed.... i said yea right. he said really. I dont know if he was messing with me or what. He said relocate the rear and get something else i forgot what he said.

BTW i dont plan on putting slicks on and trying to hit 11s. I told him those kinda of aspirations lead to breaking things, im not a drag racer but i grew up around them and dont want to break things on a regular basis. But i will be going to the drage strip this summer to see what i personally am capable of with these nitto's on there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If STD stands for standard deviation. Then it would explain why the numbers change. When you decrease your standard deviations (goes from 1 std to .09 it would explain why you had a fairly large drop.) But I don't know exactly why they would ever give you a standard deviation with your dyno just because that's usually something used when trying to poll a population or generate a confidence interval. In fact a confidence interval would be far more useful than a standard deviation because it would allow you get an idea what the true mean (cars actual horsepower) but yeah I think the STD has to stand for something else just because as a student taking statistics, it wouldn't make any sense especially if they didn't give you a number of what your Standard Deviation is. Usually something like 54 cars out of 100 are mustangs with a standard deviation of 3 cars.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The seperation anxiety is killing me!!! I get my car back tomorrow after having the Kooks long tube headers,high flow cats,X pipe.3:73 gears,and Hurst shifter instalation....Let you know what gains I got on the dyno with the custom tune...cant wait to hear it,and drive it to see what it feels like...Track time's to come...:cool:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Picked up my car today,at idle it purrs like a kitten,but when mashing the go pedal,it makes people heads turn.It sounds soooo f**king Awesome,if I had a video camera I would post a clip....Here's the Dyno sheets,before and after.I know some people are going to think the #'s are low,I was disapponted too,I thought I would get more,but Jake assured me the 4.6 GT's don't usually respond well with header's,high flow cats,and View attachment 13890

View attachment 13891 Xpipe,whats happening is prepping it for a whipple,he said then the sky is the limit....up to 700 with forged internals.....

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Picked up my car today,at idle it purrs like a kitten,but when mashing the go pedal,it makes people heads turn.It sounds soooo f**king Awesome,if I had a video camera I would post a clip....Here's the Dyno sheets,before and after.I know some people are going to think the #'s are low,I was disapponted too,I thought I would get more,but Jake assured me the 4.6 GT's don't usually respond well with header's,high flow cats,and View attachment 13890

View attachment 13891 Xpipe,whats happening is prepping it for a whipple,he said then the sky is the limit....up to 700 with forged internals.....

Your saying you picked up 10? its from one sheet to the other?

i beleive that man. i think thats about what i got with the kooks, you would be the third person on this siet that said that. been a lot talk about 20hp with lt's but i didnt see it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep!!! and I was disappointed because of all the BS I've been hearing here,and from other's should see at least a 20Hp gain...and hear of other people on this site saying they are going to get 20-30Hp gain by changing to an "H" pipe,I wanna know what they are smoking...lol...The most important thing is I have a trusted tuner,and told me,I'm all set for a Supercharger,and once thats installed he "Guarantee's me 440+ at the rear wheels....:cool:
Your saying you picked up 10? its from one sheet to the other?

i beleive that man. i think thats about what i got with the kooks, you would be the third person on this siet that said that. been a lot talk about 20hp with lt's but i didnt see it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
^please change your font..its making me dizzy

,,anyways your numbers dont seem too high..longtubes do give alot of hp..anyways dont worry about it..dyno numbers for some people seem to be more abot bragging rights..run it at the track..you probably heard this a million times but those number are the ones that count

·
Registered
462 Posts
+1:cool:
^please change your font..its making me dizzy

,,anyways your numbers dont seem too high..longtubes do give alot of hp..anyways dont worry about it..dyno numbers for some people seem to be more abot bragging rights..run it at the track..you probably heard this a million times but those number are the ones that count

1 - 20 of 22 Posts