Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just put a new cam, bearings, head gasket, lifters, ETC on my motor.

The motor was getting hot after the install, and the coolant was not going back into the radiator from the Over flow. I noticed the radiator was beat up about the time the bottom hose blew a hole and lost all the coolant. After replacing the radiator/ fan clutch/ upper and lower hoses/ radiator cap, and the thermostat the fluid still will not go back from the reservoir and the car is losing a **** LOAD of antifreeze. I thought it just needed to be burped but 2 gallons later there was no way that was the issue. I had to constantly add fluid in the radiator.

Then I pulled the dipstick and the oil was ****ing almost green. SOO what now, the car is not smoking at all which would indicate its getting into the combustion chamber and burning up but there is zero smoke. Where is this coolant getting into my oil from? possible intake?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I had a factory head gasket blow on my car, and got a steam bath as a result. Fortunately for me, no permanent scarring, but quite the experience none the less. I would say it's the head gaskets. That is a somewhat of a wives tail, the white steam head gasket leak coming from the exhaust. More times it's likely to push combustion pressure into the cooling system and pressurize the anti freeze coolant mixture right out the radiator cap( 15 lb cap vs thousands of pounds of combustion pressure, it loses every time).
It is more than likely an unclean surface on the block, or poor preparation, or warpage, or a combination of these. Which gasket did you use? I'm asking for manufacturer and part number.

Reactions: SSG Pate

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Were the heads milled or check for straightness before installing new head gaskets? The heads or deck may be warped causing your problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the heads were decked, magnafluxed for cracks and the valves were lapped in.possibly just a bad head gasket, but I went ahead and got it all tore down today and I'm waiting on the heads once again to get magna fluxed. Didn't really see any shiny pistons to indicate coolant in the chamber I did however see alot of white residue on the pistons.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Magnafluxing only tells you what's going on in the places you can visually inspect. Tell them to pressure test the heads.

People rely on magnafluxing too much. It's good for stuff you can look at (rods, cranks, cams, etc.) but you can't see inside the water passages of blocks and heads.
Magnafluxing tells you if there are any cracks in the heads which could keep the system from sealing up or allow coolant or oil to leak through the cracks. Heads were pressure tested right before I installed them as well as the above mentioned. We also did a leak down test.

Not sure why but the coolant is not leaking into the cumbustion chamber its just leaking into the oil system somewhere.

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Yea, I'm aware of that. The shop I work at has stuff magged all the time. Mostly crankshafts and connecting rods.

The problem with magnafluxing is that it's a visual process: you can only detect the cracks you can actually see. If there are cracks INSIDE the water passages, it's quite possible that they'd be undetected. This is why I pressure tested my block as opposed to magging it.

If they already magged AND pressure tested the heads, then chances are the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what I was afraid of There was no rust in the cylinders so Im pretty sure it was not getting into the cumbustion chamber. I hope all these new gaskets take care of it if not then she will be sitting in the driveway for a few months until I get around to building a whole new Dart based motor.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

I had a factory head gasket blow on my car, and got a steam bath as a result. Fortunately for me, no permanent scarring, but quite the experience none the less. I would say it's the head gaskets. That is a somewhat of a wives tail, the white steam head gasket leak coming from the exhaust. More times it's likely to push combustion pressure into the cooling system and pressurize the anti freeze coolant mixture right out the radiator cap( 15 lb cap vs thousands of pounds of combustion pressure, it loses every time).
It is more than likely an unclean surface on the block, or poor preparation, or warpage, or a combination of these. Which gasket did you use? I'm asking for manufacturer and part number.
I did notice if the motor wasnt eating the coolant then it was pushing it out in the reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update this thread

Head gaskets were blown on both sides, none of the fluid was entering the cylinder it was dumping straight into the oil pan. Finally got it back together and running she runs great and hold fluids where they should. Only thing now is one of my brand new lifters is ticking, so I hope she pumps back up i suppose the coolant running through it was not good. I went ahead and did a compression check as well and everything is smooth. I got a couple things to button up before I can call this project a wrap, the bad thing is I had a dyno scheduled Friday that I wont be able to make due to finishing this thing up and the lack of time.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im running on the stock rockers and Lifters, but the lifters were brand new before the coolant contamination.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts