Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the biggest hassle just simply trying to get a set of the factory lug nuts that came on my factory rims. First off I will start by showing you that these are the factory rims I have

When i took them off a while ago I couldn't find the key for the factory lock nuts so I got the tire shop to just get the lock nuts off anyway possible. (once they got em off the lock nuts were no more good, never found the key either) Ok now I am trying to put my factory rims back on.. But ive noticed without those exact factory lock nuts the center cap for the rim isn't popping back on flush and tight like it should. The metal ring inside the cap isn't going over 5 normal lug nuts. So I get on ebay and find these 4 LOCKING LUG NUTS/WHEEL LOCKS 1/2-20 1/2" 20 | eBay because they look the exact same as the lock nuts I had and posting says mustang gt compatible. I received them today and the lock nuts they sent me look nothing like these at all they are way to long and wont work. I have to return them and get a refund because the seller says he dont have the lugs that look like the ones listed for the ebay listed. (douche bag, for using a pic that's missleading) So now im at the point where I only see one other person on ebay with this style lock nut and I email them first before ordering asking are they 100% sure the lock nuts I get will look exactly like the ebay listing display photo :here is listing LOCKING LUG NUTS WHEEL LOCKS FORD MUSTANG | eBay and they reply back "well they look similiar" (looks like another douche bag to me, either they look like the lugs in ur display photo or they dont') Does anyone know if im correct that u have to have these lock nuts to make the center caps fit? cause with 5 normal lugs no thinner lock nut on each wheel, my center caps just aren't popping on. Looks like the inner metal ring is not going over the 5th lug which if it were that lock it would be a thinner diameter lug and would fit. And if Im correct where on earth can I get those exact style lugs as pictured in both ebay listings? Im tired of these dumb folks run around with false photos on ebay from wut they are going to send you. THANKS!! (sorry so long)

·
Registered
493 Posts
you shouldn't have to have the locknuts on there to get the center cap on correctly. if that was the case then you should only be able to put the cap on one direction, but that's definitely not the case. just buy some lug nuts from autozone or somewhere and call it good.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you shouldn't have to have the locknuts on there to get the center cap on correctly. if that was the case then you should only be able to put the cap on one direction, but that's definitely not the case. just buy some lug nuts from autozone or somewhere and call it good.
I bought 20 new lug nuts from autozone that are one socket size smaller then the factory lugs.. and the caps still wouldn't pop on..

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see your car has the same rims.. If you popped ur cap off right now, do u have 5 regular lug nuts or do u have a lock nut on each wheel?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you don't have to use a lock nut on each wheel.
lol I will try again tomorrow.. but i seriously dont think they are going to go on there.. I can remember they used to go on with ease when I had the lock nuts on a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed i have all stock lugs and i have no issues at all
Are your stock lugs the opened ended lugs like the previous poster left the link too? or are they a closed lug nut like this? I have these on there now.. I have two sets of diff sizes like these, believe one is 21mm and the other is 19mm (cant remember the standard size)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Are your stock lugs the opened ended lugs like the previous poster left the link too? or are they a closed lug nut like this? I have these on there now.. I have two sets of diff sizes like these, believe one is 21mm and the other is 19mm (cant remember the standard size)

the ones you have listed here are the wrong ones, you need ones like I listed above.

my car came stock with these wheels also so I know what your going thru but you'll never get the hubcap to go on right with the ones your looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the ones you have listed here are the wrong ones, you need ones like I listed above.

my car came stock with these wheels also so I know what your going thru but you'll never get the hubcap to go on right with the ones your looking at.
Well I bought the car used.. it was a one owner when I bought it.. ive had it for 2 years.. so maybe the guy who had it before me changed the lug nuts and put those lock nuts on there and he got lucky and it worked. I will have to go buy some open end lug nuts like u posted, tomorrow. I hope it works.. haha i hate the way it looks with the caps off!! Thanks too bro

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Oh lord. I lost the key to my wheel locks and the closest Ford place that had the keys was over an hr away. Drove there and got the wheel off and fixed the stem leak. But one other thing is, McGuard (The brand of locking lugs i had) won't sell you another key unless you have the serial number from the set, which I had, unfortunately the previous owner who put the lugs on never turned in the registration card, so they couldnt send me a key. 2 weeks later I found the key in the bottom of my car cleaning supplies bag.

Word of advice: NEVER EVER LOSE YOUR KEY. They're a PITA to get back.

and to the OP. You should just order the ones from Autozone listed above. They're exactly what you need and what come on the car stock. 1/2 thread-20mm hex head.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
These lug nuts are for the premium polished 5 spoke wheels and 03/04 wheels that have an exposed lug nut. These are not the correct ones for your painted wheels.

Here you have the locks that you would need, but Late Model doesn't carry the open ended lug nuts. Any auto parts store should have them.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-1043A

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
if im not mistaken... wernt the nuts that came orginally on that rim "open" on the back, and just screwed down over the stud (no "cap" on top, basically a big nut you would think of on a screw)

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered those from the ebay link.. I bought the car used but it had factory rims.. so just assumed those acorn closed end lug nuts were factory.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
from the factory they comes with 21mm open ended lugs with one wheel lock lug. if you want the hub cap to fit without the wheel lock, you'll have to have 5 open ended lugs on each wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts