Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just signed up about 5 minutes ago so let me give you a quick overview of my issue. I have a 97 GT with a hesitation and/or rough running condition. It occurs only when the motor is up to operating temperature and usually under hard acceleration coming out of the lower rpm range. It feels as if power comes and goes. I have not received any check engine codes yet. Now I must admit my own fault. About a week ago I gave the engine a bath:( and long story short I got water down spark plug well number 7 some in 6 and this is when the whole episode began. As you could assume the car ran worse then, but after drying everything out and replacing tired spark plugs, my car is still not back to 100% I believe my next step would be to replace the coil packs because it is my understanding that if you short out the secondary side with water long enough it may shorten the life or destroy your coil packs? I have performed resistance testing and they test out fine on the secondary. However there is no resistance on the primary side of each. thanks for any and all advice
Scott

·
Registered
127 Posts
sounds tupid but make sure the spark plug wire is firmly pushed onto the top of the spark plug. i had the same issue a while back after i changed plugs and it drive me crazy until i went back and rechecked everything. if not that make sure there are no cracks in your vacum lines or one has come off somwhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: At lunch today I got a check engine light and It turned out to be misfire on #4 so upon inspection I found the notorious heater hose leaking at the intake manifold and dripping down into the spark plug well. So most likely I just need a new hose and nice clamps right? the brass fitting isn't known to come loose in the manifold or anything right?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Update: At lunch today I got a check engine light and It turned out to be misfire on #4 so upon inspection I found the notorious heater hose leaking at the intake manifold and dripping down into the spark plug well. So most likely I just need a new hose and nice clamps right? the brass fitting isn't known to come loose in the manifold or anything right?
no but after about 100k miles the intake manifolds are known to crack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more update: its not fixed yet
The hose is now tight and dry and so is the plug and plug well. But of course the car is still running like garbage and still throwing misfire in #4 codes. Ive swapped coil packs and still number 4 fails. Ive tested plug wires and they seem to be fine. After testing resistance across all injectors they all are fine. I'm running out of ideas fast. what is next to check? crank position sensor? Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
did you pull the spark plug out itself and checked to see how it looked?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah since this whole episode Ive replaced all plugs which helped significantly. Ive also kept an eye on #4 it just appears to have fuel residue when i pull it out after a while. Can someone give me the process to check primary resistance on my coil packs? Ive tried over and over and either I'm completely lame cuz i cant get any resistance readings at all. No conductivity. Like I said, swapping them back and forth didnt move the misfire. Thanks guys
Scott

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
you might need to replace the spark plug boots and valve cover gaskets, thats what i have to do with mine, idk about you but i get oil in my plug holes and it fould out the plugs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts