Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new hurst short throw for my tremec and it's adjusted perfect but it seems to go into gear alot harder, I think it's time to change the fluid? Can someone guide me through how to change the fluid on this trans I'm positive I know how to do it just want to make sure, also what kind of fluid should I run in it and how much fluid should I buy? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
87 Posts
what do u mean by "harder"

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I personally would check and double check the adjustment on the clutch cable before blaming the fluid for harder shifts suddenly. Especially if the cable is old it's probably stretching etc but anyways

The bolt shown in this pic next to the piece of wood is the drain bolt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/88 lx/DSC03901.jpg

Remove it and let her drain.. above it is another bolt that looks idential. That is the fill hole, remove bolt and use a rubber tube to a funnel and fill til it starts spilling out then put the bolt back in and your done or if you don't have a funnel and tube remove that top fill bolt and then fill the trans via the shifter area. You'll need to remove the black trim and leather shifter boot then unbolt and remove the shifter to do it that way.

I haven't had to cahnge the fluid in mine for at least a year so I don't remember how many quarts and of what but i did use royal purple when I did it but it's over kill.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By harder I mean getting it in gear you gotta really use your arm, as for adjustment I followed the cable to the trans and I didnt see an adjustment on the cable it led to a black cover? Is the adjustment inside this cover? The trans doesn't have that much use on it but it's been sitting for a long time only 16,000 miles put on car since 1991 but the trans has less than that if I could change the fluid and get that clutch adjusted she should be good to go I'd like to freshing up that fluid just so I know it's clean and done.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Yeah i'd do the fluid too giving it's that old and all but I'd also check out your cable adjustment. With a totally stock setup the clutch peddle has a self adjuster built into it and you just lift up on the clutch peddle with your foot and it should click. Allot of times the oem cable stretches and this doesn't work or the stock plastic quadrant cracks and flexes

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried to pull up on the pedal and got nothing, bare with me here I'm gonna change the fluid as for the cable the adjuster is it in the black box on the left side of the trans? Being that it's a tremec 3550 it should use an oem cable right? Does anybody know how many quarts for the trans?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my cable adjusted still got nothing, talked to a guy atthe local speed shop he says he's got the same tranny as me in his stang and said since day one his has never shifted "great". He said with no synchro for reverse to go into fifth then reverse to slow tranny down, it shifts great when I'm banging hard through the gears it just down shifting getting it into second I have to got to
first then second then release the clutch to slow down then back to first. Anyways what fluid should I run? And does about 3 quarts sound right? Thanks again!

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
mine has no problems down shifting and it's got to be at least 5 years old and has been in two cars of mine lol

replacing the fluid won't hurt anything so it's worth a shot if your sure you properly adjusted the cable... a hard 2 to 3 shift will tel you if your cables adjusted properly or not :)

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Sounds like your tranny and your friends are ****ed beyond repair. a 3550 feels like driving a t5 for the most part. Idk why your friend complains about it grinding reverse, it has no reverse synchro... what else would you expect for it to do?

And if your rev matching and using gears to slow the car down, like going into first then back in second, your only hurting it more.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Got my cable adjusted still got nothing, talked to a guy atthe local speed shop he says he's got the same tranny as me in his stang and said since day one his has never shifted "great". He said with no synchro for reverse to go into fifth then reverse to slow tranny down, it shifts great when I'm banging hard through the gears it just down shifting getting it into second I have to got to
first then second then release the clutch to slow down then back to first. Anyways what fluid should I run? And does about 3 quarts sound right? Thanks again!
I have had good luck with the gm synchromesh fluid in Tremec's. As for now it's harder to shift, well, you just put a short throw shifter in it, so you are getting more feel and effort because of it. jmho. with all that downshifting, sounds like blocker rings are in your future.
Also, go to steeda's website and get their cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant kit. It's money in the bank on clutch and tranny wear saved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Awesome info guys, my trans i having problems as well, putting the pedal to the floor to get it into 1st and into other gears, im going to order the parts mention above and hopefully it will solve the issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, let me break this down a little better, up shifting through the gears is butter shifts flawless, down shifting 5th to 4th slides right in, 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st is where it gets hairy, this tranny is not that old guy bought it brand new, so parts being worn out? Idk? I changed the fluid and it was very clean, I'm thinking clutch still needs adjusted it,s got about 2 inches of play in the lever and it engages about 2 to 4 inches from the floor? And since that short throw it has been tougher to sown shift. Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts