Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the dash to replace the heater. That's done and the dash is back in
but I can't seem to get the shifter interlock cable cable fed back under the center part of the dash. The shop manual is no help. I have the radio removal
tool and was able to remove the radio but not the CD player. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I meant to say

I removed the dash to replace the heater core. That's done and the dash is back in but I can't seem to get the shifter interlock cable fed back under the center part of the dash. The shop manual is no help. I have the radio removal
tool and was able to remove the radio but not the CD player. Any suggestions?

I'm considering removing the dash again to get the cable fed under it, yet the shop manual implies this is not necessary in order to replace the cable, The cable I'm talking about is the one from the front of the shifter to the steering column.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The story gets stranger. I thought the car wouldn't start without the cable
(F6ZZ*3F719*AC, referred to as brake shift interlock actuator), but not so, it functions normally without it hooked up. I'd like to sort this out before I put all the trim pieces back.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. I figured it out. That cable is part of a system that prevents shifting out of park unless the key is in the run position. It's a non critical safety feature.

The easiest way to fix it at this point will be to unbolt the dash again and lift it up enough
to permit sliding that cable under the center section of the dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts