Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LORD ZERO VENOM SUPREMACY
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a friend of mines put a new clutch in my car. He then put the old tranny fluid back in, now smelling some nasty smell when I'm driving, it smells like a bad armpit. So i need help on draining, and refilling. I bought 5 quarts of mercon V is this enough? And another thing I'm seeing lots of oil on the floor looks like I'm leaking oil, it looks like it's coming from the filter any comments on that. I bought some degreaser and I'm gonna clean it up to see where it's coming from.... And too all those guys who can't see my question past the grammar and punctuation please don't comment move on please.

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks but i read this thread it seriously is of no help sorry. i dont know where the plug is i saw it on AM and might check it out again but i was wondering, at autozone they said my 04 needed 5 quarts of the tranny fluid so i bought 5. now i didt see the pump to use the fill plug area so im thinking just doing it above the shifter as i remember thats how the guy did it on AM. what is on AM was a step by step to do a short throw shifter but in the process he adds how to refill and drain the fluid. so thank you but that thread really doesnt show the process or say anything of relevance thanks again man.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There will be a bolt at the bottom of the transmission close to the front by the bellhousing, I believe on the passenger side (but may be the drivers side) that has an indentation for a 3/8" ratchet to attach too. All you have to do is loosen that and the fluid will drain out into the pan that you hopefully put under it lol.

To fill it, there is another bolt above the drain plug with the same 3/8" ratchet indentation. You can try to fill it from there, but the body of the car will probably be in the way, but I have seen people fill it from the shifter location, it just might take longer.
Put the drain plug back in, and start filling up the transmission. I believe that the t5 should only take 3 quarts but hey maybe I'm wrong. Either way, your tranny will still have some fluid in it. the way to check if you have the right amount of fluid in it is to keep the top bolt out and check to see if the fluid is at that point. If you can put your finger in and feel the oil, you've put enough in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Both drain and fill plugs are on right side (passenger) of the transmission. Like Toph6888 said, there are 3/8" square holes in both of them to apply a 3/8" ratchet.
Fill is at the top, drain is on the bottom.
Draining is easy. Filling, you will need a hand pump if you are going to fill it through the fill hole. They are pretty cheap at an auto parts store.
Performance Tool W1139 - Fluid Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Hope this helps

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
1) Remove both plugs from passenger side of trans. as said (top (fill) one first, as this will create air flow and make the draining much smoother).
2) Replace bottom (drain) plug
3) Remove shifter bezel inside cabin of car
4) Run some hose down through the area where you removed the shifter bezel, and insert the bottom end of the hose into the top (fill) hole on the trans.
5) CAREFULLY!! fit the top end of the hose over the tip of the new fluid bottle and (easier with a buddy) while holding it upside down, cut/stab a small hole into the bottom of the bottle to allow for air flow for ease of filling (it will go 10x faster if you are able to get a hole in the bottle).
7) Replace shifter bezel, replace top (fill) plug on trans, enjoy.

The trans calls for 5.6pints of fluid...

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
...Hand pump is 1 more thing to buy and is a PITA to use normally.

As far as your oil leak question, good idea to clean it all up then inspect in a day or so to see where it's coming from. If you indeed suspect the filter, I would do an oil change including the filter, as you should every time you change the oil.

Be sure that the black o-ring from the previous filter did not stay stuck to the filter neck (on the actual engine)

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow ok so both bolts are just 3/8" ratchet square? and they are both located on passengers side? also the car uses about 3 quarts or 5.5pints=2.75qaurts. any idea why they said i need 5 quarts? and i threw the receipt away like a jackass:baller: so i cant return the other 2 quarts:facepalm:. so i guess i just wont remove the shifter ill try to do the upside down bottle and hose idea. I also had a friend put some new oil and it doesnt show on the dipstick that ive lost any oil. ive been at work so much the i might do the undercheck tomorrow mornig while im doing the tranny fluid change. thanks to all who gave me ideas and helped me out.

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Job finished with tranny bought a siphon pump it was quite easy. As for the oil problem uploadfromtaptalk1357727305750.jpg a you can see there is oil on the filter then above it where you put it in there is a hex nut thing it looks like the oil is coming out from there any ideas? uploadfromtaptalk1357727419958.jpg you can't see it but there is a little droplet of oil right by the cat i have no idea how it got that far also my power steering is all gunked up outside on the reservoir but it's full any ideas? It's just all ugly it's Hella cold and i can't seem to get any time to clean and check but like i said if the hex nut thing is a plug do i just get some of the thread locker?

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Check the o-ring on the side of the oil pump. I need to change mine next oil change.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
It's a plug just above the oil filter. The filter screws onto the pump.

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i did the oil change yesterday cleaned everything got all the bolts off and retightened them now it's snowed Hella bad yesterday so if it leaks ill catch it. Also i checked and it looks like it might be my power steering or brake reservoir that might be leaking, but i can't say for sure it's just oily around those areas. Anybody with this sorta problem? Any help appreciated

Sent with full 3g and 4g and no signal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts