Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 90 forged block, edelbrock aluminum heads, flow tech cam #NA-90F34X-HR09 +2. I have 1.7 roller rockers so the lift is 600 and 590. I am using edelbrock head gaskets. Thanks in advance.

Lobe Lift 353 347

Gross with 1.6 565 555

Duration @ 50 214 218

Lobe sep 109

Recomended centerline 107

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Piston to vavle clearance must be checked on each indivdual engine. To many variables. Also you need to use a solid lifter or modified hydro lifter if you are doing the clay method, so it can't bleed down during engine rotation!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
You paid big money for that cam? Thats smaller than a tfs stage 1.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have an issue running 1.7 rockers or if I need to swap back to 1.6 rockers? Or do I need to tear the intake and heads off and get someone to help me check the clearance? I've never done this before so I figured I'd get some input before I tore in to it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You paid big money for that cam? Thats smaller than a tfs stage 1.
I bought the cam used on here for 100 bucks slightly used. Seemed like a good deal to me.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
I bought the cam used on here for 100 bucks slightly used. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Thats a very small camshaft, just doesnt seem worth all the effort to put it in. Anyway, yes heads come off, clay in a cylunder, tighten heads down with old gasket, use lifter that is bled down, so you can tighten adjustment and bottom out the lifter, do this on the intaje and exhaust valve in the cyl with the clay on each bank, then crank engine iver slowly for two revolutions. If it sticks or stops during turning, stop as youve hit a piston. Pull heads off and measure thickness of clay with a pocket steel rule..100 is good to go.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
^ You will get a more accurate measurement if you put a checker spring on the head/valve you are checking. You also can use a dial indicator to check PTV clearance...no need for clay and taking the head off and on.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Hardly more duration than a stock camshaft and go with 1.6s....With 1.7s that lift is wayy too much for those heads and your combination.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
^ You will get a more accurate measurement if you put a checker spring on the head/valve you are checking. You also can use a dial indicator to check PTV clearance...no need for clay and taking the head off and on.
I have not found a tool yet that will compress dual springs enough to get them back on, and depending on pressure, even get them off. If they are stud mount rockers, the old sbc prybar might work, but if they are bolt downs, I am not certain it will work. Clay is easier to explain and is accurate enough if done properly.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Wth is an air clamp tool? Skool me. And havent seen an engine come apart because a back yarder didnt have the tools to do this by the dial indicator method. Most rimes I do both to confirm valve is hitting the relief properly. Playdoh is a heck of a lot cheaper than a dial indicator, spring compressor, air compressor, and the checker springs. Thats the only rason I suggested it. I figured this guy like most, doesnt have a stocked shop he works out of and dont want to make him think its buy all that stuff or give up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts