Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Windstar almost all put together. I ended up just deleting the EGR because the pipe snapped off about a foot from the headers while I was trying to cut it. First question, Can I use my X-Cal 3 to turn off my EGR? Ok, the second part...what do I do with the PCV hoses? Do I use a tee to run the 2 sides together then into the intake tube? And what is the small vacuum hook-up on the back drivers side of the intake manifold(windstar)? And the one up in front of the coil pack? Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, OK I got everything installed and ready to go. I cut a pipe and used some rubber connectors to make the intake pipe still go into the fenderwell(though it doesn't look very nice with 2 different colored connectors and pipes, but it does eliminate one 90 degree bend). But when i start it I have this very high pitched whining noise, that I'm positive is a vacuum leak around the throttle body or the IAC port underneath where it goes into the manifold. If anyone else has had the problem please help. We took off the belt to make sure it wasn't any accessory, and it wasn't. And still if anybody knows how I can turn off the EGR with my X-Cal 3, let me know. I have the tune for the manual transmission, but didn't swap it out yet so I'm stuck with the auto and I don't want to pay $59 for something that I'm only going to need for a little while. Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Well, OK I got everything installed and ready to go. I cut a pipe and used some rubber connectors to make the intake pipe still go into the fenderwell(though it doesn't look very nice with 2 different colored connectors and pipes, but it does eliminate one 90 degree bend). But when i start it I have this very high pitched whining noise, that I'm positive is a vacuum leak around the throttle body or the IAC port underneath where it goes into the manifold. If anyone else has had the problem please help. We took off the belt to make sure it wasn't any accessory, and it wasn't. And still if anybody knows how I can turn off the EGR with my X-Cal 3, let me know. I have the tune for the manual transmission, but didn't swap it out yet so I'm stuck with the auto and I don't want to pay $59 for something that I'm only going to need for a little while. Thanks again everyone.
take some brake cleaner, spray it on the hose connections. also did you have the iac shaved on the top of the intake?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alright I have the problem almost solved. I just did the old soap and water thing because I couldn't find the brake cleaner. And it was the throttle body gaskets. I just re-assembled it with silicone gasket maker and that stopped it, but I only did one side of the throttle body spacer. Most of the whistle is gone, and I know the problem. I got to take it out for a ride tonight too, and it definitely has more off the line and, well, everywhere. The only thing I noticed was a little softness for the 1st 1/4 inch or so of gas pedal, even though the throttle body does open all the way. And I think I saw something about using a hose somewhere around the pedal to get rid of that feeling. If anyone else knows, let me know. I'm going to try and get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Oh and one other fairly significant difference...the exhaust. It definitely is deeper and quite a bit louder at wot.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Alright I have the problem almost solved. I just did the old soap and water thing because I couldn't find the brake cleaner. And it was the throttle body gaskets. I just re-assembled it with silicone gasket maker and that stopped it, but I only did one side of the throttle body spacer. Most of the whistle is gone, and I know the problem. I got to take it out for a ride tonight too, and it definitely has more off the line and, well, everywhere. The only thing I noticed was a little softness for the 1st 1/4 inch or so of gas pedal, even though the throttle body does open all the way. And I think I saw something about using a hose somewhere around the pedal to get rid of that feeling. If anyone else knows, let me know. I'm going to try and get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Oh and one other fairly significant difference...the exhaust. It definitely is deeper and quite a bit louder at wot.
yea thats a simple little mod. just need a little piece of plastic tubing and some tiny hose clamps. give me a minute and ill find the mustangworld writeup on it

edit: here it is
Mustangworld - 99 - 00 Gas Pedal Adjustment tip

just pull the slack out of the cable and cut the spacer to that slack length...leave a little bit though so you wont be pulling on the cable at idle. just cut the side of the spacer open lengthwise and slide it over the cable. then put two clamps on it and tighten it up good. then you should be good to go

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And another good thing...which really wouldn't be much of a problem anyway, is that its not throwing any codes for the EGR being gone. Not yet at least. Where can I get the block off plug for the headers? Until I get it, I'm just going to heat up whats left of the pipe with a torch and squeeze it together to stop the exhaust leak sound and all that crap from blowing around in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
And another good thing...which really wouldn't be much of a problem anyway, is that its not throwing any codes for the EGR being gone. Not yet at least. Where can I get the block off plug for the headers? Until I get it, I'm just going to heat up whats left of the pipe with a torch and squeeze it together to stop the exhaust leak sound and all that crap from blowing around in the engine bay.
dont do that, just go to a nuts and bolts place and get a cap. someone here will know the size, i cant remember at the moment...i want to say 2 inch, but thats just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and I figured out why the pedal was "squishy". It didn't have to do with adjusting the pedal, it was the throttle body. Right where the extension arm joined the throttle body shaft, it wiggles a little less than a half an inch, which it moves when the pedal is pressed before there is a throttle response. Other than that, seems good.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 24898 Here's a pic of it installed. its not the best quality, but it'll do. I like how it looks and sounds way better. It even somehow made my cold start problem a little better, not sure why on that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts