Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here we go again on gears. I almost ordered them but backed out because Im not 100% on my orignal decision. I was going to order 4.10's, but I chickened out.

It's not my DD, its a play toy, weekend warrior. I just afraid 4.10's is too much. To many horror stories about 3.90's being made by Motive, that leaves 3.73's.

I am an auto, what RPM's would it run at 65MPH with 27" tall tires?
Will it pull as hard with 4.10's?

I have seen a few race cars, and street cars with alittle to much gear and hurt it's 1/4 performance. Im lost here, help me decide.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
being in a manual i can only say i'd go with the 4.10's either way for n/a. however given that gears are a pretty pricey item to get installed i may skip the gears till you know for sure what you want. i'd go with a full exhaust, but dammit if not going with gears is a tough one. they are one of the best bang for your buck now, but the lt's are a better choice for the end game i think.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will eventually have LT's, underdrive pulleys, thinkin a stall down the road. Now I have LCA's on there way, soon to follow an adj. upper and new mount along with a 1 piece DS. Rightnow I thought I had my mind made up, but not sure now.

Also, what is the overdrive ratio in the auto, .71 or .75?

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
I was torn between 3:73's and 4:10's too. My buddy has 4:10's and loved them. I went with 3:73's and LOVE them, but I'm a Manual trans too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one know for sure what the ratio is for overdrive in a auto?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are NA 4.10s are great, but 4.56's are awesome! With the OD I really would not worry about the 4.10s being too much for the street. Best bet however, would be to check with your local mustang club, see if anyone has 4.10s ask to go for a spin, see what ya think before you spend. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have motive 3:90's no complaints here, im auto as well. If its not a DD you should go 4:10's maybe even lower...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
arn't the frpp motive now as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, 3.73's are on there way. I think this will work good for me, along with all new control arms and a new 1-piece DS. Once all that is done I am gonna get a set of Kook's LT's and a O/R H-pipe. Should be in the 12's hopefully with that. Oyea, underdrive pulleys will also be in the mix.

What do yall think, 12's possible with that combo?

Also, is charge-motion delete plate good or bad for a slightly modded N/A motor?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have 4.10s by frpp, motive did take over and the way to tell if you got the motive gear using the frpp label is that the first and last letters would match. If their different then your good. As for 12s with that combo I dunno... maybe in a manual coup but with the heavy convertable and auto my guess is a low 13 if you can launch good.

Don't be afraid of the gear, my mpg went up and it pulls so hard in first and second its unbelievable. But I'm in a manual so it might be a little different. Goodluck

·
Registered
789 Posts
Oh and as for cmdp, their good for top end power but say goodbye to your low end torque. The gears would balance that out thougbw

·
10,234 Posts
Well, 3.73's are on there way. I think this will work good for me, along with all new control arms and a new 1-piece DS. Once all that is done I am gonna get a set of Kook's LT's and a O/R H-pipe. Should be in the 12's hopefully with that. Oyea, underdrive pulleys will also be in the mix.

What do yall think, 12's possible with that combo?

Also, is charge-motion delete plate good or bad for a slightly modded N/A motor?
i ran very consistant high 12.8_'s with nothing more than lca's, cai, tuner, stock 3.55's, & mickey thompson et streets. this was in texas throughout the summer nights. was launching at 5000

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 4.10s by frpp, motive did take over and the way to tell if you got the motive gear using the frpp label is that the first and last letters would match. If their different then your good. As for 12s with that combo I dunno... maybe in a manual coup but with the heavy convertable and auto my guess is a low 13 if you can launch good.

Don't be afraid of the gear, my mpg went up and it pulls so hard in first and second its unbelievable. But I'm in a manual so it might be a little different. Goodluck
Im not a convertable.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
High 12's, I hope so, but it won't break my heart if not. As far as gear I pulled the trigger on 3.73's. All-n-All if they don't do it, Ill change them, LOL.

My goal is 12.99.

·
10,234 Posts
arn't the frpp motive now as well.
the frpp part numbers that end with (or begin can't remember) an "M" are the only ones that are motive

High 12's, I hope so, but it won't break my heart if not. As far as gear I pulled the trigger on 3.73's. All-n-All if they don't do it, Ill change them, LOL.

My goal is 12.99.
you should be pretty close. get some tires for the track on some of the cheap jegs or summit wheels. here's a link to one of the summit wheels
Summit Racing SUM-571-5866PS - Summit Racing® Warrior R/T Polished Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
omg dude... if its just your weekend toy, just go for some 4.56's. 4.10's are actually pretty mild for a non-DD.

edit: just saw you got 3.73's... pussy lol

·
Registered
872 Posts
OP - I've got 4:10's in my '08, and it's driven maybe a day or two each week to work and sometimes on weekends - so we're in the same boat. I love the 4:10's in stop n go traffic and riding around town. But there are times when I've got my car on the highway that I wish I'd gone with 3:73's because it really zings the rpm's above 70 mph. So really, it's a toss up. 3:73's will be a big improvement over what you have (assuming you have 3:31's). 4:10's will be great too, but if you do a lot of highway driving I'd maybe consider the 3:73's.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, 3.31's now, going to do some traveling with it, thats why I decided on 3.73's. Maybe one day whipple?.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 4.30's (in my manual), but I cannot even imagine going any less than them. I have every single bolt on plus cams and I still wish I went 4.56!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts