Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ammo Creme Reflective Paste Review

So this all starts when I had been looking around for a mid/high-range ($50-$100) wax. I wanted something that wasn’t tried and true and wasn’t used by everyone and their neighbors. I was looking for something out of the ordinary that I could review and hopefully contribute to this community with. I picked Ammo.

Reasons Why:
I picked Ammo for a few reasons. When I started watching the “Drive Clean” series on Ammo’s website was when I first realized what detailing was and what it was about. I used to watch those videos and think “Wow, that’s something I could do and enjoy”. This was partly because of the near immediate gratification that it brings.

Another reason I picked Ammo’s wax was because I liked his motto:

“AMMO is designed with a different set of rules: to endure long drives, high speeds, and punishing track days. AMMO is made specifically for people who care about the way their car looks, as much as the car’s performance.” - Ammonyc.com/story

That motto fit my goals perfectly. My car is not, nor will it ever be a garage queen. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it but I want to drive something I’m proud of, something I couldn’t stop looking at as I walk away from it.

The last reason I bought this product is simply because of it’s low profile in the detailing community. I have yet to see a review of it or an I have only heard about it through Ammonyc’s facebook page, his site, and a couple of his youtube videos.

Product Description (from manufacturer):
“AMMO Crème is meticulously hand made, highly reflective carnauba wax that creates paint depth, clarity, and the coveted “wet look.” Use AMMO Crème on top of AMMO Skin for concours reflection and total protection.”

How The Car Was Prepped:
Let’s just get this out of the way now so I don’t have to worry about it later.

2004 Screaming Yellow Mach 1
Washed and Stripped the car with CG’s Honeydew snowfoam (1 oz per gallon)
Clayed the car using Mothers medium clay and CG’s Speed Wipe
Did a wipedown of Carpro Eraser over the entire car
Used m105 on a Cyan Hydrotech pad
Eraser wipedown
Used m205 on a Green BnS pad
Washed (since it had been a day) and did another Eraser wipedown
Applied Ammo Creme Reflective Paste by applicator pad

Initial Impressions:
I have had contact with Larry over the past few days prior to and after ordering this product from him and he seems to be a pretty straight forward guy. Never once did I feel like he was a salesman pushing his product onto me by using “big words” and making ridiculous claims like some of the other guys do.

I received the wax on the second business day after ordering it. I paid for the normal flat rate shipping and I live in Michigan so he’s not too far away if everything is coming from NYC but still very impressed with the fact that I got it so quickly. I didn’t expect it until Thursday or Friday. The day after I got the wax I got this in the mail from him (the stickers came with the note as well).

This in itself is worth something to me. This is so cool that he would take the time the write this card out. This is not something you receive from a big company/manufacturer.

The wax is red which suits it because it smells a lot like big red (the gum). It smells like carnauba wax with a hint of cinnamon. It’s not overwhelming by any means and as someone who doesn’t even like big red or cinnamon candy this stuff smells great.

The consistency is comparable to Pete’s 53. It’s buttery smooth and melts very easily when applying any pressure with my finger but it is still a solid wax.

Packaging:
When I opened the package I was surprised due to the difference of the picture of the canister on the website and the canister I had received. There was nothing wrong with the pot I received but the text was in different colors and it’s much flatter and wider than the picture on the website makes it look but it wasn’t hard for me to get over this since it will not make a difference as to how the wax works.

I like the canister it comes in. It has a seal on the lid which is very nice and the cap spins as I would expect it to. The opening on the canister is great. Very wide mouthed, but this worked just fine for any of the 3 different size applicators I had around.

Application/Removal:
The application went as expected. A little went quite a ways and it went on very easily. The wax was very easy to spread even on cold paint (it was 30 degrees outside, the paint was approximately 39-41 degrees). I was able to spread a thin even layer thanks to the widemouth of the canister. I felt like I was chewing big red while I was applying it.

It removed surprisingly easy. I put some on a small part and let it dry up for a while to see if that would make it difficult to remove and it still was not. I followed the directions and did a panel then usually about 2 more, depending on the size, and went back and removed the wax from the first panel. Came off extremely easy.

Results:
Let’s start with looks. The car looks absolutely amazing, if I do say so myself. This wax provided a gloss/wetness that it didn’t have prior to applying the wax. It looks absolutely amazing. I did my best to try to capture some pictures of the paint after removing the wax:

I had the trunk up to put the wing back on and had to take a picture of this:

Secondly the ability for it to bead water. It beads very well straight away. My car has no sealant under the wax and the beads were uniform and tight. I was very impressed:

Thirdly, sheeting. Again I was very impressed with it’s ability to sheet water. I didn’t know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. It was sheeting water so well, but don’t take my word for it: (Sorry for sideways video. It looks fine on my phone, don't know why it is like this after I uploaded it)

Also, the wax leaves the car feeling very slick. Very easy to run your hand over and no drag at all.

Final Thoughts:
Thanks for reading. I hope this was helpful and entertaining for you who stuck through it til the end. I would not only recommend this wax to others looking for a wax in this price range but I would buy it again myself. I am very happy I made this leap of faith and my car couldn’t look better.

1 Week Update:

It's been about a week since in the pole barn and I wanted to see if there was any dust. Previously I literally had to wash it before I did anything because of the dust after a couple days so I was intrigued.

Pics of the dust tray:

Both the pictures were before I even touched the car. I touched the car after the 2nd pic to wipe it and most of those specs were still there so Idk exactly what those are. Some of them are specs of dust some of them were not.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Bro nice review and total props for trying something that no one else really cared to.

The beading/sheeting is looking pretty good man, i would say its comparable to how Pete's 53 turned out in my wax test. Im really glad that the wet look is obvious with this wax, thats the whole "best part" about carnauba, that super deep wet look. And you have a perfect blend of a darker-light color to show that warm nuba look.

I think you should DEFINITELY try Zymol when you get a chance. Im selling my Fuzion (both pots i think) I will be getting Zymol Glasur and a bunch more pads and MFs with the money i get. Water is scared of Zymol, it will blow you away.

By the way, the reflection shot between the rear window and open trunk literally took me like 15 seconds of concentrating to figure out what i was looking at lol. Your paint turned out REALLY great man, those reflections are clean. You gonna keep the ammo sticker on there or was that for the vid? jw

Lets see a follow up video after about a week outside the pole barn so we can see the overall look!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good write up!
Was thinking about getting ammo products as well after seeing them in the drive clean videos as well... Once i saw that i thought the guy was an artist. It actually got me into detailing my stang

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bro nice review and total props for trying something that no one else really cared to.

The beading/sheeting is looking pretty good man, i would say its comparable to how Pete's 53 turned out in my wax test. Im really glad that the wet look is obvious with this wax, thats the whole "best part" about carnauba, that super deep wet look. And you have a perfect blend of a darker-light color to show that warm nuba look.

I think you should DEFINITELY try Zymol when you get a chance. Im selling my Fuzion (both pots i think) I will be getting Zymol Glasur and a bunch more pads and MFs with the money i get. Water is scared of Zymol, it will blow you away.

By the way, the reflection shot between the rear window and open trunk literally took me like 15 seconds of concentrating to figure out what i was looking at lol. Your paint turned out REALLY great man, those reflections are clean. You gonna keep the ammo sticker on there or was that for the vid? jw

Lets see a follow up video after about a week outside the pole barn so we can see the overall look!
I was going to but it is night time and there is snow on the ground. If it's sunny tomorrow i'm going to open the doors up and let it see the sun because I want to see how it looks in the sun. It looks awesome under work lights. I couldn't get the picture of the hood I wanted but it looks awesome.

I will probably just keep it there. I don't have a reason to remove it and i'm very happy with the product.

Good write up!
Was thinking about getting ammo products as well after seeing them in the drive clean videos as well... Once i saw that i thought the guy was an artist. It actually got me into detailing my stang
Yup, that was actually my introduction to it. I didn't now anything about it prior to watching those videos.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Time for a second coat!!

Layers layers layers! says it on the jar lol

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time for a second coat!!

Layers layers layers! says it on the jar lol
The layers he's referring to is when using hydrate/skin/creme reflective paste ;) not so much the wax by itself lol.

I forgot to add that the paint feels extremely slippery. The slickness it added (after doing an Eraser wipedown was ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
looks awesome maybe ill try some when im done with my petes 53

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update with reflection pictures outside. This will make people happy. This is the day after. No rinse/QD or anything. Pulled it out of the pole barn and took some pictures.
No editing at all and all pictures taken with my phone:

Started to get cloudy after about 10 minutes:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
DAMN

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
your car's in extremely good shape, wish mine wasnt outside 24/7, really takes a toll on the weather stripping etc, glad your paint correction went well, wax looks good, looks pretty standard for its price point (in a good way aka living up to its price) what is it 8 oz?
sheets like my fuzion does
beads remind me of

no wax

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
The layers he's referring to is when using hydrate/skin/creme reflective paste ;) not so much the wax by itself lol.

I forgot to add that the paint feels extremely slippery. The slickness it added (after doing an Eraser wipedown was ridiculous.
haha still though, i think it would be beneficial after your first wash to throw down a second coat, i mean why not lol.

your car's in extremely good shape, wish mine wasnt outside 24/7, really takes a toll on the weather stripping etc, glad your paint correction went well, wax looks good, looks pretty standard for its price point (in a good way aka living up to its price) what is it 8 oz?
beads remind me of

no wax
:facepalm: Only you would wax a tabletop lol. That being said those beads are TIGHT bro. Dodojuice is on my rader, i may just get the straight eight and do another ModdedMach review!

I had someone on youtube ask me to do Zymol Glasur Vs Supernatural lol, i was like sure, send me some supernatural.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beads remind me of

no wax
Thanks man, I couldn't be much happier with how it turned out. It looks so good out in the sun I am so happy.

Yeah, I would spend 70 bucks (+ shipping) on wax that acts and looks like this over and over to be honest. It is an 8 oz pot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Fuzion does on Moddeds Mach because even if it didn't "cure" or w/e it needs to do 100% properly it should have looked better than that. . . Heck OTC wax looks better than that. I'm expecting different results on his Mach.

Those beads from dodo look really good. I still have to try my banana and crush from them out along with pete's and xxx lol.

haha still though, i think it would be beneficial after your first wash to throw down a second coat, i mean why not lol.

:facepalm: Only you would wax a tabletop lol. That being said those beads are TIGHT bro. Dodojuice is on my rader, i may just get the straight eight and do another ModdedMach review!

I had someone on youtube ask me to do Zymol Glasur Vs Supernatural lol, i was like sure, send me some supernatural.
It can't hurt, that's for sure.

Hahahaha, heck yeah free supernatural would be the way to go lol. Isn't Supernatural 200 dollars a pot? That's pretty crazy. . . As much as some of the Swissvax waxes.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see if he'll trade you an oz for an oz of ammo
due to all of the recent talk
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...-me-show-you-why-i-enjoy-wolfgang-fuzion.html

but yeah I love dodo, solid line up, you'll enjoy them
Gonna read that review now.

OC looked good on your car so it should work well on my paint as well. I plan on using the Dodo's next. Maybe that's what i'll use on my dad's car. His is SY too. I didn't know that the 05-06 GT's came in SY along with the 04 Mach 1's. That's pretty freakin cool. I knew his was close but didn't know it was the same paint code. I need to park mine next to his and brag a little bit. His is faster but mine looks a lottt better right now lol.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts

OC looked good on your car so it should work well on my paint as well. I plan on using the Dodo's next. Maybe that's what i'll use on my dad's car. His is SY too. I didn't know that the 05-06 GT's came in SY along with the 04 Mach 1's. That's pretty freakin cool. I knew his was close but didn't know it was the same paint code. I need to park mine next to his and brag a little bit. His is faster but mine looks a lottt better right now lol.
father like son :lol
you should do half of your roof in ammo and the other half in dodo
its not as in depth as this one, just whipped it together in 15 min lol

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts

If you boosted your mach it would totally be sicker than your Pops, and lighter lol. Faster or not, your mach is totally sexier.

Youll have to correct his next

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you boosted your mach it would totally be sicker than your Pops, and lighter lol. Faster or not, your mach is totally sexier.

Youll have to correct his next
If I boosted the Mach it would blow his doors off. . . He has about 450 to the rear wheels as his sits right now. And it's a Mach 1. . . Doesn't get much better than that ;)

That's actually what he's getting for Christmas. Apparently he was going to pay me to do it (according to my mom) so it will be a perfect Christmas gift since I was going to do it anyways.

He came over yesterday when I was working on mine and couldn't believe it. I showed him the reflection and he was blown away.

I'll show you guys the not so great decision he made trying to get bird poop off his hood right after he got it. . . It's not good lol. Other than that the car looks great and is in good shape. I doubt I can't get off what he did though lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
If I boosted the Mach it would blow his doors off. . . He has about 450 to the rear wheels as his sits right now. And it's a Mach 1. . . Doesn't get much better than that ;)

That's actually what he's getting for Christmas. Apparently he was going to pay me to do it (according to my mom) so it will be a perfect Christmas gift since I was going to do it anyways.

He came over yesterday when I was working on mine and couldn't believe it. I showed him the reflection and he was blown away.

I'll show you guys the not so great decision he made trying to get bird poop off his hood right after he got it. . . It's not good lol. Other than that the car looks great and is in good shape. I doubt I can't get off what he did though lol.
It really doesnt get any better man, i love my mach 1 as much as id love a cobra, but for different reasons, I really wanna get an 03 cobra bumper and spoiler for my mach and keep it forever! lol

The big reason i want a cobra is the built motor that comes in it...lol already forged means saving 5k or more in engine parts and building costs to handle big power.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh man dude, I want a 99-01 bumper sooooooooooooooo bad. It's the only exterior mod I want for my car.

A fast Mach > a fast Cobra solely because the Cobra is supposed to be stupid fast lol. Definitely save a lot of money rather than rebuilding the engine but if I can supercharge mine and get to 480 then I should be safe and very very happy lol.

This could be your car ;)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts