Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys some of you may know me and some of the problems i've had (big headaches). So I ended up dropping about 1800 on my 96 GT (actually payin the rest tommorrow).

I got a new intake manifold, heater core, full tune-up, 4 new o2 sensors, both new window motors/regulators, I think he also said master slave for it.

Only thing that I still hate is the fact that he said he drove it yesterday and it was hestiating (which I know it has been doing this for awhile but I figured with new plugs n stuff would clear all that up). I'm just curious if theres anything I could mention to get it checked/fixed.

I'm spending alot of money (Way more then quoted but oh well), I just dont wanna get it back and the thing act like it wants to struggle to climb rpms then surge ahead etc. He tells me just to run some good octane gas and that will clear it up, cuz of how long it has sat in my driveway but I remb back when the heater core went out it started hestating at the same time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually got it sitting back at pure stock, i did not switch anything I even with the NPI manifold back on it just the one with the aluminum crossover in the front or w/e.

only mod on it at all is just flowmaster exuast and i dont really even consider that a mod, lol.

i'm just wondering if it was possibily the fuel rails or something. Since the plugs didnt do it. Imma try to ask him today if it's possible to get a compression test (maybe she just aint putting the power down anymore, but that dont seem like it would make it struggle to climb rpms when i got it floored, then soon as the rpms finally get up a lil bit she catchs and takes off). My street bike would do this but when i changed the spark plugs and ran some sea foam through the gas tank she ran like a bat outta hell.

·
Registered
299 Posts
MAF/IAC possibly but doubt/coil pack both coil and MAF and 02 sensor i could c as problem yes you have 4 new ones but that doesnt mean you didnt get a bad one ;>

·
Registered
275 Posts
what about your fuel pump? i had this prob and the new plugs fixed it in my car tho... so yeah i dunno... good luck man, trouble shootings sucks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got an update, i picked up the car tonight after work. meh i can't really say im happy.

The hesitation i did not really notice, course i didnt drive it far just home 10-15miles, plus the low oil light was on from the oil change ( guess the guy didnt put enough quarts in it). Unfortunatlly it was dark so I couldn't really inspect n check things out. Considering she has a new starter and plugs supposely (havent gotten to make sure yet), she doesn't fire up as clean as i thought she would. I remb when i replaced the one on my 5.0 u could really tell a difference.

This is the part that still worries me. On the way home the needle climbed to the M on normal, and i immedately whip it over into a parking lot and as i climb out the car the fan kicks on and cools it back down.

I had went through replacing the lil temp sensors ALOT months ago cuz they wuz cheap and i couldn't find the right one to do the trick. Seem's like the fan use to cut on a lil earlier and keep it cooler. Does this seem about right before it to be reaching the near smoking point (m of the normal) before the fan kicks on?

I went to move it out the driveway a second ago and i think i saw my worst nightmare but i was too stressed to crank it up and see. Yes, the check engine light. My cousin said he was hopin that it came on to find out about the hestitation, but its like fk dood couldn't use a obdII scanner and find out. Perhaps one of the o2's r bad. When i drive it to work in the morning will tell the tale. Like i said i just forked over 1300 bucks I expect some damn relief.

Not 2 mention i still need it inspected, pay the taxes, get the plate up-to-date and throw some insurance on it. (yeh its been down along time and ;\). I just hate i finally got my car "fixed" after 2 years of just barely driving 5miles away to not risk any dmg, and it just doesnt feel gratifying like YESSSSSS its BACKKKKKKK. I can also smell a lil coolant when i poped the hood n pulled over but it wuz pitch dark and couldn't see anything. So we'll c hopefully the bastard sealed everything right.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah and one last thing to add when i moved it out the driveway to the front of the house, i let it idle a min and i noticed that it kinda boggled a lil, like couldn't hold a steady strong rpm reading down lil up lil down lil up lil,

Hopefully when i get to work n pop the hood i can inspect things.
The motor is on borrowed time cuz the block has a hairline crack in the top "sorta where the top of the water pump is", I sealed it with some jb weld long ago and just really want to get a few months out of it while i stack a lil paper from my work, then look at just going with a motor swap (or dump it and trade for a lower model 2000+). Figure'd i would be stupdy to just throw another block in it and go from there. I rather watch the forums for a deal n get a better setup. (considering to get any real power that i'd like i'll need the better swap with cams n heads + i'd like to get a nice block setup with forged stuff so it can handle a lil F/I later on down the road.

Anybody wanna trade a nice setup for a completely pimped out ninja 1000 with all the fixins?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New update!!

This morning on my way to work i decided to pop the hood so i could finally inspect things. All the new stuff looks great. I checked the oil since the low oil light was on, and yeh it basically had 0 oil in it, prolly barley enough to have gotten me home, and my coolant was about a resoirvor worth low.

So after stopping at advance auto and filling her up with oil and toping up the coolant, i went off to work. She ran much better and stayed much cooler.

On the way home it ran even better, staying cooler.. and no check engine light btw. I did notice when I stopped at the bank it had a small drip from under the hood, so i poped the hood to inspect. The guy didn't get a good seal on the thermostat and it wuz slightly gettin out the very front of the intake i can see where the gasket got caught a little bit and didnt get a clean tight connection.

So I figure in the morning i'll give it first bath in a LONG time. And pull the thermostat off and get it on proper.

But all in all I'm pretty happy thx god. The hestiation also doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as i remebered before the operation. I think it might just clear up once I run it a little more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had some what the same problem on my 98 gt and I change, pcv, Erg,did seafoam, o2 sensors,coil,wires, plugs,fuel pump,rails, regulator(crank the psi to 43) and anything that was fuel related and my car is strong. I have 150k on it and is running strong.I will be swapping out the engine or rebuilding soon. Hope you got it taken care of

·
Registered
132 Posts
So it seems my car is having the same issues and im really worried. She doesn't hit power until 3k and even still shes not all there. If I put the pedal to the floor in any gear at any rpm below 3 she god a weird rhythm coming out of the exhaust like duh duh duh duh lake a bogging down and then 3k and bam she's there wtf?

·
Registered
299 Posts
try 02s antfo cant see it being a fuel problem unless a fuel injector is stuck open get a scanner and check the voltages i had same problem was one of my 02s would eaither read full rich or full lean no inbetween numbers ;x

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an offroad H would this make a difference in anyway? and actually one of my 02 sensors is broken like in half from when I changed my mid-pipe but I ran my mid-pipe like that for months until this started happening also the front 2 02 sensors are good its a middle one does this matter? Should I buy all new ones?

·
Registered
299 Posts
buy atleast the front new ones those are the only 2 that work the fuel ratio other 2 just tell the car if the cats are good/bad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah get the o2 sensor replace bro because if the sensor does not get the right info the computer will not get the correct information to make the car funtion properly. Check the injectors with voltage meter and see if they are working properly. How many miles doe your stand have? It could be you trani too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The car has 116000 on her. I'll get the o2 sensors soon anyone know a good place? Also the fuel filter has not been changed on the car since it was bought, could this be it? I plan on replacing that soon also when my brother gets me the tool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look before you change the fuel filter get I good fuel injector cleaner or even do some seafoam on your car, yes the fuel filter could be full of crap and is not filtering properly. Good how to seafoam a mustang and you will see how to see foam your car. Ford I famous for carbon build up and you really get you injectors check so see if they are working properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts