Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my squire strat is on it's last leg, and instead of buying a new guitar I decided I want to do major surgery on it.

Since all of the electrionics are crapping out on me I want to make it more of a jazz guitar since jazz guitars are pretty damn versatile in the sound you can get out of them.

What would you guys recommend as a good jazz style pickup with a mellow darker sound, but still be able to give it that warmth?

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't play jazz but the versatility of a lot of jazz pickups can range from rock, blues, jazz, to soft rock, etc. A good jazz guitar you can get almost any sound you want out of it. I especially have a new found love for playing the blues.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
true, true.. i have always love the sound of david gilmore from pink floyd. Such a crisp, clear sound.

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i actually like the fender noiseless pickups.
Honestly. I hate those pickups. They are too plain, and boring for my taste. I like a little feedback, and distortion in my playing, and even when I'm going for a very clean sound...they just dont have the feel of what I'm looking for.

·
Bearer of Bad News
2,478 Posts
This is why I have an Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Very versatile. I have a Line 6 Spyder amp as well, with an assload of presets in it, so I can pretty much pull of whatever I'm in the mood for.

I've never swapped out pickups, but I imagine you'd want to stick with a Fender line for Strats.

Why not get yourself another guitar and use this one for projects... that is, experiment with different pickup configurations. Get yourself a couple cheap pickguards that allow you to mount the pickups to them, that way it'll allow you to carve out space in the front of the body if you feel like replacing the bridge position with a humbucker. Doing so won't really compromise the tone or sustain much as long as you're patient with the work.

·
Bearer of Bad News
2,478 Posts
Honestly. I hate those pickups. They are too plain, and boring for my taste. I like a little feedback, and distortion in my playing, and even when I'm going for a very clean sound...they just dont have the feel of what I'm looking for.
Get yourself a DiMarzio Evo bridge pickup (if you have three single coils, you'll have to carve out the body and get a new pickguard).

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get yourself a DiMarzio Evo bridge pickup (if you have three single coils, you'll have to carve out the body and get a new pickguard).
Actually I don't have to carve anything I can fit humbuckers in there. but just in the bridge pick up and the middle pickup. Just need a new pickguard. Thats one reason why I chose to use the strat since one it's not stratocaster, and two it's already all carved out.

Also I'm planning on getting a Line 6 Spider II amp.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Honestly blues isn't that hard to play, just have to be able to understand teh basic structure and then go to town like that guy.

And i have nothing to add because i play acoustic mostly. But wouldn't getting a new guitar be better? Gets you away from a squire?

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly blues isn't that hard to play, just have to be able to understand teh basic structure and then go to town like that guy.

And i have nothing to add because i play acoustic mostly. But wouldn't getting a new guitar be better? Gets you away from a squire?
Your right blues isn't hard to play, and a lot of it is repetive, but knowing how to play the blues, and playing the blues are two different things. I never once said that playing the blues was difficult. I'm looking for a sound, and with an electric a lot of it is in the pickups. Changing the pickups and the guitar is almost like a 100% different guitar. I don't want to buy a new guitar...I want a project. I want to do build something. So I chose to change stuff in my electric. Squires aren't bad guitars...they are based off of Stratocasters, but the electrics in them are ****...and thats what I'm changing. I eventually may change the neck, but for now repainting the body, and changing the electronics in it will make me happy.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
id put a p90 at the bridge with a single coil dimarzio or active pickup and if you have another space there get Shop Accessories, Fretted Instrument Accessories & Parts, Guitar Pickups & Parts | Fernandes | Musician's Friend and they actually have a humbucker one too which i may get
You sir I think may have given me the setup I'm looking for. That p90 has the perfect sound I'm looking for the Dimarzio velvet pickups have the clean sound I'm looking for, and that sustainer would be amazing for blues.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Dude.

Electronics, pickups at Stewart-MacDonald

Run with it.

It's gonna be hard to get a good jazz tone out of a strat. The jazz guitars(Les Pauls, yes it's a jazz guitar) are more solid and have more body in the sound while the strats have a trebbly twang to em which is better found in blues(Like Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, SRV).

At Stew-Mac you can litterally buy the body parts of a guitar and piece it together piece by piece. They have EVERYTHING for a gutiar. Potentiometers for tone and volume, pickups, necks, bodys, strongs, hardware, knobs, tuning pegs, tremelos, bridges, etc...

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
You sir I think may have given me the setup I'm looking for. That p90 has the perfect sound I'm looking for the Dimarzio velvet pickups have the clean sound I'm looking for, and that sustainer would be amazing for blues.
that would be an amazing setup i think im going to get a sustainer put on the bridge of my esp instead of the the emg that's there idk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts